Rank III

Traveler II

Shingle Springs, CA 95682, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Marrs
Member #

My son and I are planning a trip this summer.. Leaving Sacramento we would like to enter Canada in Washington head East and drop back down into Montana coming home through Idaho, and Nevada Does anyone have any information or suggestions for dispersed camp sites/trails in Canada? Best places to cross north/south? Thanks all.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

In the quiet low populated areas you will pass thru that I live in we recommend the National, Provincial, Campgrounds and Rec Sites on the maps. Locals where I live quite literally resent travellers plugging up the "disprsed" sites they enjoy as residents. Those "unserviced" sites which tend to be over used and charge no fees end up abused and left to local residents to clean up...... YES, I am one of them. Every season I truck out bags of garbage and am greeted by a dog who discovered human defication on the ground.

As a traveller.... please use the facilities we provide. Parked overnite sure have at 'er but plan yer trip expecting to pay yer way.,..... no one likes a free loader. You might be different than the one before you but we also have locals who cater to travellers..... try to support them. And be compassionate with those protecting their backyard.

Locals are considering gating the places in my backyard we love.

I think ALL rural areas feel the same. Dispersed camping translates to homeless. If you are homeless trying to survive we may be compassionate. If you are looking for a free parking spot don't expect compassion.

Support the locals who made their backyard look so inviting.

Last edited:
Reactions: KAIONE and cmarrs11

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Last May we went Boston to Big Sky. One of the places I wanted to see was Going-to-the-sun Road. Another was Glacier NP. It was still perhaps a little early in the season and we didnt have time, given all the other places we wanted to see. I'd like to put together another ride out that way of all the places we couldnt make.

To that end, why not try taking Canada rt 2 south and entering the US at Caraway
Take US 89 south to St Mary (?) There's a couple lakes by that name there as well...and
Hook a right and head west on Going-To-The-Sun road to Glacier National Park?

Let me know how it is.

Reactions: cmarrs11

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Going-To-The-Sun road to Glacier National Park
ABSOLUTELY !!!!!

One of the best side trips ever..... Zero dispersed camping opportunities but a great trip. No trailers allowed.

The last time I did it was a night crossing. Incredible feeling to walk up to the low walls at the look outs, Vertigo like I've never experienced. I must do it again for better pictures.

DSC_0173.jpeg

Reactions: KAIONE

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Wahington to Montana via Canada? Hell ya!

Turn as far north as you can before driving south along the Rockies and work with the pain your face has from 'smiling' so much!

I started up in Jasper and only got turned around because the pass wasn't clear! My face ached for 3 days for that far..

My high is enter from the US and drive up the Rockies! Work the temps accordingly. The only regret would be that pain from the smile!

Reactions: cmarrs11

cmarrs11

Rank III

Traveler II

Shingle Springs, CA 95682, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Marrs
Member #

It's not healthy to bottle up your emotions....tell me how you really feel.
Thank you for the input.

In the quiet low populated areas you will pass thru that I live in we recommend the National, Provincial, Campgrounds and Rec Sites on the maps. Locals where I live quite literally resent travellers plugging up the "disprsed" sites they enjoy as residents. Those "unserviced" sites which tend to be over used and charge no fees end up abused and left to local residents to clean up...... YES, I am one of them. Every season I truck out bags of garbage and am greeted by a dog who discovered human defication on the ground.

As a traveller.... please use the facilities we provide. Parked overnite sure have at 'er but plan yer trip expecting to pay yer way.,..... no one likes a free loader. You might be different than the one before you but we also have locals who cater to travellers..... try to support them. And be compassionate with those protecting their backyard.

Locals are considering gating the places in my backyard we love.

I think ALL rural areas feel the same. Dispersed camping translates to homeless. If you are homeless trying to survive we may be compassionate. If you are looking for a free parking spot don't expect compassion.

Support the locals who made their backyard look so inviting.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle