Pathfinder III

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Kuehn
Member #

Hey guys,
Iam going to buy a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 4.2 engine. I had a XJ couple of years ago but it was to small. My question is, do you have any Tipps for me to look after? Rost and electrizity is something i know, but what about the gear box etc?

Thank you for helping

Benni

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Hey guys,
Iam going to buy a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 4.2 engine. I had a XJ couple of years ago but it was to small. My question is, do you have any Tipps for me to look after? Rost and electrizity is something i know, but what about the gear box etc?

Thank you for helping

Benni
A first generation Grand. Over here they designated those the ZJ. 1993-1998. Some people dont know that the ZJ was originally intended ro be the replacement for the XJ in 1993. They tested very well and the test group loved the new ZJ, but they protested when they were told it was going to replace the XJ. That's when Jeep decided to run a "Grand Cherokee" alongside the Cherokee.

Not sure how they have these offered in Germany but there was an all-time 4wd and there was a Select-Trac 4wd. I have a WJ, 1999. While they are different they are similar in many ways. I prefer to be able to manually shift between 2wd, 4 hi and 4 lo. Saves me fuel when I dont need 4x4. I also prefer the 6 cylinder. Here, the ZJ had a 6 cylinder and there was a special edition with the 5.9 liter. Dont know if you have those there. But they are rare enough I would stick with the 6 cyl as they are everywhere and you can get replacement parts easier.

The ZJ and WJ both had an electrical issue where the interior lights would not shut off after the door was shut. This may or may not also manifest itself with windows not going up or down.

Often the solution is to open the drivers door all the way and slide the electrical harness boot back. Chrysler is notoriously cheap on wiring, and they only give you exactly enough. At this hinge, in th2 wire bundle, a ground wire often fails. I patched in some primary wire.

Another thing is heat. A lot of times the blend door actuator will break. It's a big job to replace that cheap part if you do it by the book. But there is a way to do it by opening the glove compartment and cutting through the back wall there.

Watch for the hinges at the top of the rear glass hatch. Not the hinges for the entire hatch, I've never had trouble with those...the hinges that allow only the glass to open. At the point where they attach through the glass, they can rust. One of them will flop around when you close the main hatch. If both rust out, repair immediately as the glass can slide backward from the top and come completely undone.

Watch for soft metal in the drivers side front wheel well. May become a hole.

I was looking for a ZJ when I bought my WJ. Good luck and keep us posted

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Sorry. Yes, the 4.2 is one of the 6 cyl engines...I beleive this generation still has a Schrader valve atop the fuel rail. I had to replace my fuel rail and the replacement dis not have a Schrader valve. At any rate, the "quick disconnect" to the fuel line was not very quick. That's a spot that can rust out, making disconnection of fuel line from fuel rail somewhat difficult.

Also, battery...the terminal connector at the end of the cable is sometimes splitting. Here in the US they were not something that could be un-bolted. You may have to cut them off and replace, but once again, Chrysler didnt give any extra wire here, so I just replaced the entire battery cable.

Sorry if this seems like a lot. I have had my 1999 WJ for almost 9 or 10 years. The body was in good shape and the engine (4.0 as opposed to 4.2) has been very good, even if it sounds like a tractor, but the ancillary details have definitely needed attention. Luckily it's very easy to work on and modify

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Great write up by Andrew, We have a 1999 WJ also and have made many of the same repairs, with the blend doors in the heater being the biggest pain, but have had no issues with the heat since then, We have the 4.7 V8 and the full time Quadra Drive II transfer case and it has worked wll for over 200k miles. in low range with the vari-loc axles it is really capable. Over here there are plenty of small companies making aftermarket parts for both the ZJ and WJ versions of the Grand, unless something drastic happens we plan on keeping ours for the foreseeable future,.

Reactions: B.Kuehn

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Great write up by Andrew, We have a 1999 WJ also and have made many of the same repairs, with the blend doors in the heater being the biggest pain, but have had no issues with the heat since then, We have the 4.7 V8 and the full time Quadra Drive II transfer case and it has worked wll for over 200k miles. in low range with the vari-loc axles it is really capable. Over here there are plenty of small companies making aftermarket parts for both the ZJ and WJ versions of the Grand, unless something drastic happens we plan on keeping ours for the foreseeable future,.
Thank you, sir..

I got a bonus at work about 3 years ago and was gonna spend the whole 5 grand on my WJ and just make it a super reliable multi purpose on/ offroad kick ass beast. But instead I put money down on a 2014 GMC Sierra with heated leather seats. As a result, the WJ has sat languishing.

Right now it needs a full brake job, cat back exhaust, tires, an alignment, driver seat bracket to be welded, new rear glass secure points (as pointed out above) and to be registered.

A little more than 3 years ago I lifted it with 2 inch Iron Rock Offroad springs, new Crown spring isolators, Moog anti sway bar links, Pro Comp 9000 shocks, and a completely new tie rod and ends.

I have always liked the fact that if you spin the key forward in the ignition 3 times without starting the engine, leaving it just short of starting on that 3rd time, any Check Engine Codes will appear in the odometer.

If they could do that in 1999...Cant believe in this day and age we cant get a full on-screen diagnostic on all vehicles

Last edited:

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Thank you, sir..

I got a bonus at work about 3 years ago and was gonna spend the whole 5 grand on my WJ and just make it a super reliable multi purpose on/ offroad kick ass beast. But instead I put money down on a 2014 GMC Sierra with heated leather seats. As a result, the WJ has sat languishing.

Right now it needs a full brake job, cat back exhaust, tires, an alignment, driver seat bracket to be welded, new rear glass secure points (as pointed out above) and to be registered.

A little more than 3 years ago I lifted it with 2 inch Iron Rock Offroad springs, new Crown spring isolators, Moog anti sway bar links, Pro Comp 9000 shocks, and a completely new tie rod and ends.

I have always liked the fact that if you spin the key forward in the ignition 3 times without starting the engine, leaving it just short of starting on that 3rd time, any Check Engine Codes will appear in the odometer.

If they could do that in 1999...Cant believe in this day and age we cant get a full on-screen diagnostic on all vehicles
I know my XK Commander does the key activated DTC code display also, very handy, keep a list of codes and what they mean in the glove box of the rigs in case i need to diagnose and order parts from the highway or trail. I did replace crank & cam sensors, throttle position and idle air on both the jeeps, and tossed the old ones into a dark corner of the jeep as these are the most likely points of failure without warning and often leave you dead in your tracks. all are easy to replace on the trail if have the spares handy.... learned this one the hard way

B.Kuehn

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Kuehn
Member #

Hey thanks for the comments. It helped a lot and i just bought a 1998 V8 5.9 with 135tkm. They serviced it in the normal ranges and replaced everything new like suspension etc. The electricity etc is working, like you said!

Thank you so much on responding

Attachments

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Hey thanks for the comments. It helped a lot and i just bought a 1998 V8 5.9 with 135tkm. They serviced it in the normal ranges and replaced everything new like suspension etc. The electricity etc is working, like you said!

Thank you so much on responding
Happy to help. That 1998, 5.9 liter v8 Grand Cherokee was a Limited special edition here in the states. Hood lovers and leather seats I think. Kick-ass!