Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
I'vw my van in the introductions thread before. This thread is about the van, what I've done to it and what I'd like to do with it, hopefully before too long.

P1010620_crop.jpg
The Base Vehicle
The vehicle is a 2016 Volkswagen Multivan T6. It came in Highline trim with leather seats electric rear doors and tailgate. It has parking sensors all around and radar cruise control.
It is driven by a 1.9 litre, 4 cylinder, bi-turbo diesel engine developing 201 horsepower and 450Nm of torque.

It has VW's 4Motion drive system. Is primarily front-wheel-drive and switches in the rear differential on demand. This differs from an AWD system in that power will always be sent to one of the front wheels and if the rear differential is in use will drive one front and at least one rear wheel (like any other part-time 4x4 or constant 4x4 with diff lock engaged).
It has no low range but has a 7 speed DSG transmission to give a wide spread of gearing.
The vehicle has an electric rear differential lock activated from a dashboard switch and hill descent control.

I also opted for an analogue panel, which is located under the front seat. This is a digital vehicle where every function is performed by processors on a data bus, so you can't just tap into wires. The analogue panel allows functions such as a battery feed, ignition on wire etc., to be accessed without interfering with the running of the vehicle.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
P1010619_crop.jpg
Current Fitout
Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform roof rack. I also needed to purchase a folding step ladder because it's a long way up.

Dual (triple) batteries. 2 x 130AH AGM batteries in the compartment next to the fridge. Charged via a Redarc BCDC1240-LV (low voltage) DC charger which is fed from the analogue panel (see the post above) under the front passenger seat. The charger is pre-wired to accommodate a solar panel when I can afford a new one.

The shelving system is more to keep the fridge ventilated. The whole system attaches to the seat mounting rails and there is an Anderson connector so the whole unit can be removed if needed. I managed to get a sideways fridge slide. The Engel fridge has seen several vehicles in its near to 30 years.

To give some added traction, the original tyres on the van with a set of Maxxis 771 Bravo A/T tyres in 225/60R17. These tyres increase the height by a very modest 1/4" inch or so.