Enthusiast III

Independence, MO, USA
First Name
Lief
Last Name
Humphreys
Service Branch
US Navy
When trying to keep the weight down on your rig, as well as the cost, has anyone thought if using Bushcraft Skills for shelter. What do I mean? Well using a quality tarp and parachord as a tent and or awning. Tarps are cheap, light weight, and pack down to nothing. Would you allow it in your convoy? Let me know your thoughts.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

When trying to keep the weight down on your rig, as well as the cost, has anyone thought if using Bushcraft Skills for shelter. What do I mean? Well using a quality tarp and parachord as a tent and or awning. Tarps are cheap, light weight, and pack down to nothing. Would you allow it in your convoy? Let me know your thoughts.
Have done this many times and actually like doing it and practicing the skill.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Yessir! Every time I go out. I’m a huge believer in keeping my rig as light as possible and love bushcraft.

I believe that everyone makes their choices and if you’re going out with people that are going to be using more primitive methods of camping that’s on them. If they get into trouble I always have gear that can at least get them warm if they’re hypothermic, extra water if they’re dehydrated and so on. Now having said that, I do try to find out as much about people that I’m going out with before hand. Never be afraid to ask too many questions BEFORE you hit the trail. That can pay dividends. There’s been too many times when it’s night two and your sitting around the camp fire and you find out that someone your with doesn’t have recovery gear, or extra water or fuel and they’re telling you, yeah I get 400 miles per tank and you’re on a 360 mile loop, lol.

And then I’m always taking notes, and keeping a log of my trips. So if I do see someone who was a burden on the group previously, then I’ll know if they pop up again and then maybe pass if I think they’re too much of a liability. I know a ton of guys that I think drink waaaay too much on trips and they’re smoked by day 4 or 5, cause they’re up all night. They sleep in and delay delay delay.

And last, I love practicing those skills when I’m out and about. It gives me good reps in a controlled scenario. I like that a lot and it gives me confidence every time I’m out. So I highly recommend practicing bushcrafting skills while on the road, if you know what the F you’re doing. Lol

Do you tarp it up and practice a bunch while you’re on the trail? Any tips you want to share?

Stay safe out there!

Lief_WJ

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Independence, MO, USA
First Name
Lief
Last Name
Humphreys
Service Branch
US Navy
Yessir! Every time I go out. I’m a huge believer in keeping my rig as light as possible and love bushcraft.

I believe that everyone makes their choices and if you’re going out with people that are going to be using more primitive methods of camping that’s on them. If they get into trouble I always have gear that can at least get them warm if they’re hypothermic, extra water if they’re dehydrated and so on. Now having said that, I do try to find out as much about people that I’m going out with before hand. Never be afraid to ask too many questions BEFORE you hit the trail. That can pay dividends. There’s been too many times when it’s night two and your sitting around the camp fire and you find out that someone your with doesn’t have recovery gear, or extra water or fuel and they’re telling you, yeah I get 400 miles per tank and you’re on a 360 mile loop, lol.

And then I’m always taking notes, and keeping a log of my trips. So if I do see someone who was a burden on the group previously, then I’ll know if they pop up again and then maybe pass if I think they’re too much of a liability. I know a ton of guys that I think drink waaaay too much on trips and they’re smoked by day 4 or 5, cause they’re up all night. They sleep in and delay delay delay.

And last, I love practicing those skills when I’m out and about. It gives me good reps in a controlled scenario. I like that a lot and it gives me confidence every time I’m out. So I highly recommend practicing bushcrafting skills while on the road, if you know what the F you’re doing. Lol

Do you tarp it up and practice a bunch while you’re on the trail? Any tips you want to share?

Stay safe out there!
I don't drink first off and I go to bed before the chickens!

The gear I have is the gear that makes me self-reliant. Pull it out, fix it up, etc... I do all my own work and won't let anyone touch my rig unless I need two more hands. Ex Navy mechanic and I know what to expect from others (nothing).

So I get what you're saying... As for the Bushcraft Skills...

I would just say to everyone to think outside the box and act like it's your last chance of survival. If you only know the bowlin knot that will do (a granny knot here and there won't hurt ya).

I'd suggest keeping a large quality tent on board as well as plenty of rope, anything will work within reason. Use your winch for a ridge line if you have to...whatever. Just as long as you don't freeze or get wet.

Make fire with a stick / bow and block of wood. If there is a fire ban, decide whether you want to follow the law or die! Your call.

Tee pees can be made from a tarp... Make a fire in side that to stay warm. Etc.

Rooftop tents look cool but when the wind blows that sucker off the top your rig and it ends up looking a wreck, whatcha gonna do bro...? Is what I'm thinking.

Anyways, Bushcraft Skills is like basic training, very few people these days have it... Pitiful too if you ask me.

As for taking note on others... I'm selective out the gate. I wanna know what you got NOW!

Happy trails

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

As I come from a more rural background, I developed my skills while hiking out to camp/hunt. And I still default to much of it even when exploring by vehicle.
Since the resurgence of the "bushcraft", "tactical", and "survival" fads in popular culture, I think a little too much weight might be being put on the necessity of it all, but there's certainly plenty of basic skills (knots, structures, rudimentary survival, etc.) that definitely have a place in the vehicle based travel realm.

*Now for the necessary disclaimer. This isn't to diminish formal skills and training for those in the armed services, SAR, and otherwise. It also isn't to demean anyone who has interest in learning, practicing or teaching said skills. There is no judgement on my end. It's merely an observation that the vast majority of folks will/should have little practical need for much of it, for better or worse.*

I'm still a hammock-er myself, so setting up camp usually consists of at least one standard tarp or rainfly lashed in some fashion to match the weather (cold, wet, and/or windy). It also consists of some type of camp fire (season dependant) built and styled to match what I need from it. On my trips, I'm usually the more "rustic" of the group, lol. But the level of those skills I pull out of the bag is definitely dependent on the preparation and planning of the trip. With enough prep, I find much of the wide catalog of bushcraft/survival skills becomes very much optional.

Reactions: KAIONE and Correus

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I used to make it at least a once a year thing in the winter with a few buddies. we haven't really done it in the last couple years other than I practice fire skills and knots every time I'm out. we all have kids now and don't get much time to get out other than quick trips, over nighters and whatnot, and we all live about 5 hours away from each other now. also getting older and sleeping under a tarp with a racoon licking your face in -40 takes a toll on you. most of my buddies have switched to trailers, but I just finally switch to a tent lol. got a gazelle t4 this year and a cot because I was running out a good placing to hang a hammock in most places it seemed. and my little pup tent i carry as a back up needs to be pegged in and I do a lot of camping on the Canadian shield ... so you know .... no pegs.
20180126_133217(0).jpg299445141_2021853907999732_8081531103206500312_n.jpg299620945_803483014118822_4869672743260670000_n.jpg20180505_122518.jpg

Lief_WJ

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Independence, MO, USA
First Name
Lief
Last Name
Humphreys
Service Branch
US Navy
Being prepared is not a fad... Being prepared at all times is a way if life for some of us. Being not prepared is a way of life for others.

Some would argue that not being prepared is a fad in and of itself... Like its cool to be late for every event you attend... Hmmmm just sayin'

Lief_WJ

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Independence, MO, USA
First Name
Lief
Last Name
Humphreys
Service Branch
US Navy
I used to make it at least a once a year thing in the winter with a few buddies. we haven't really done it in the last couple years other than I practice fire skills and knots every time I'm out. we all have kids now and don't get much time to get out other than quick trips, over nighters and whatnot, and we all live about 5 hours away from each other now. also getting older and sleeping under a tarp with a racoon licking your face in -40 takes a toll on you. most of my buddies have switched to trailers, but I just finally switch to a tent lol. got a gazelle t4 this year and a cot because I was running out a good placing to hang a hammock in most places it seemed. and my little pup tent i carry as a back up needs to be pegged in and I do a lot of camping on the Canadian shield ... so you know .... no pegs.
View attachment 239974View attachment 239976View attachment 239977View attachment 239975
Now that's what I'm talking about.

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Being prepared is not a fad... Being prepared at all times is a way if life for some of us. Being not prepared is a way of life for others.

Some would argue that not being prepared is a fad in and of itself... Like its cool to be late for every event you attend... Hmmmm just sayin'
I constantly suggest to friends and family to practice as if you were a 1750's longhunter out in the wilderness for awhile.

Reactions: KAIONE

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

View attachment 239974View attachment 239976View attachment 239977View attachment 239975
Too bad about the long trips but at least you get some quickies in. I’ve got kids too now and camp in a tent as well. Lots of blankets for insulation so they don’t get cold etc. Later we’ll get into the tarp camping for sure. But they love the small bushcrafting things ie starting fires with a bow drill, trying to start an ember with hand drill (hasn’t happened yet), hunting for wood to make a bowl, spoon and even looking for a campsite & shelter site. They also love making charcoal water filters and painting their faces with charcoal, it’s a blast! Great to get them into the skills early.

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Too bad about the long trips but at least you get some quickies in. I’ve got kids too now and camp in a tent as well. Lots of blankets for insulation so they don’t get cold etc. Later we’ll get into the tarp camping for sure. But they love the small bushcrafting things ie starting fires with a bow drill, trying to start an ember with hand drill (hasn’t happened yet), hunting for wood to make a bowl, spoon and even looking for a campsite & shelter site. They also love making charcoal water filters and painting their faces with charcoal, it’s a blast! Great to get them into the skills early.
My almost 3 year old was helping me collect wood on the weekend lol. He also knows enough to stand away while I'm swinging the axe until I tell him to come grab some wood to pile near the fire pit. And he loves camping and sleeping in the tent. He's becoming a real tiny outdoorsman lol. I gotta start teaching him knots soon and basic stuff once he's a little older.
One of my buddies I used to so minimalist camping with doesn't really do it anymore. He has 3 kids and a trailer that he takes with him now and the others just havnt had time to meet up and go camping in a while, or when we do we do weekend fishing trips. Not as minimal lol.

Lief_WJ

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Independence, MO, USA
First Name
Lief
Last Name
Humphreys
Service Branch
US Navy
My almost 3 year old was helping me collect wood on the weekend lol. He also knows enough to stand away while I'm swinging the axe until I tell him to come grab some wood to pile near the fire pit. And he loves camping and sleeping in the tent. He's becoming a real tiny outdoorsman lol. I gotta start teaching him knots soon and basic stuff once he's a little older.
One of my buddies I used to so minimalist camping with doesn't really do it anymore. He has 3 kids and a trailer that he takes with him now and the others just havnt had time to meet up and go camping in a while, or when we do we do weekend fishing trips. Not as minimal lol.
Teaching these skills to your kids is a great gift to them and yourself. Great job as a good father!

Lone Wolf 1965

Rank V

Traveler III

Casper, Natrona County, Wyoming, United States
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Gregory
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
I feel that bushcraft skills, camping, hiking, and over-landing, all go hand in hand. There are skills and tricks that can be used for all, and make each one more enjoyable.

I am also a mountain man (pre 1840’s fur trade) re-enactor and those skills also have found there way into my trips.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Lmao! That’s GREAT!!!! Nothing better IMO. Great on ya. I’m bad at knots so I want to teach my kids knots so they can set everything up and I’ll go look for wood and set up, lol!

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Lmao! That’s GREAT!!!! Nothing better IMO. Great on ya. I’m bad at knots so I want to teach my kids knots so they can set everything up and I’ll go look for wood and set up, lol!
Lol I was unemployed for a while during college and spent the whole time learning knots.... most of which I have forgotten but the ones I use all the time camping stayed with me.

Last edited:

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Lol I was unemployed for a while during college and spent the whole time learning knots.... most of which I have forgotten but the ones I use all the time camping stayed with me.
That’s great. It’s such an important skill that I wish I had. I get a book, I practice. Go camping and tie a bow or some amalgamation of a knot. Lmao. God bless zip ties.