Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Man, if you are relying on AI to help wire your car you will burn it to the ground. This is coming from a 20 year auto tech that has had to remove a rash of ridiculous installs of shit with people doing what you are. It does not understand ohm's law and how it applies in the real world. It spits out stuff it copied elsewhere.

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank IX
Launch Member

Steward III

Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Man, if you are relying on AI to help wire your car you will burn it to the ground. This is coming from a 20 year auto tech that has had to remove a rash of ridiculous installs of shit with people doing what you are. It does not understand ohm's law and how it applies in the real world. It spits out stuff it copied elsewhere.
I could not agree more with you. I do my homework and learn from previous experiences. I use AI to enhance my work, kind of confirmation in other words. I have received some good advise up to know that has made my work even safer in my humble opinion. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I use the various AI bots to plan routes, find trails.... but nothing beats the tips and advice of the people who have been there / done that
I am by no means an AI expert (hardly a neophyte) however my recollection of early attempts to create AI guidance and advice (on technical problems) was that the system which was developed (or at least in development) by the company for which I worked relied almost entirely on the experience of "people who have been there / done that". It was imperfect, indeed not of much value at the time, however did provide a basic level of guidance for key decision-making.

I agree fully that seeking advice directly from those who have the experience is fundamental.

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Kind of seems to opposite to what I want out of my traveling and exploring experiences. Kind of the point of it for me is to be unplugged and self-reliant.

But I am old and still injoye reading a map and discovering what is over the next hill.

Kross

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Baltimore, MD, USA
First Name
Echo
Last Name
Charlie
Hmm - "modern" is obviously recent, by definition.

Artificial intelligence has been in development since the late 1950s (The History of Artificial Intelligence - Science in the News).
Semantics.
Sure, "Artificial Intelligence" is a blanket term that's been around forever, but the "AI" that's currently discussed literally everywhere is 2-8 years old. So modern that it's not even mentioned in the dusty article you posted.
More modern stuff for ya: Transformer (deep learning architecture) - Wikipedia

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Semantics.
Sure, "Artificial Intelligence" is a blanket term that's been around forever, but the "AI" that's currently discussed literally everywhere is 2-8 years old. So modern that it's not even mentioned in the dusty article you posted.
More modern stuff for ya: Transformer (deep learning architecture) - Wikipedia
Interesting article (refers back to early development since 1990, I note).

My point is not to debate the age and semantics of "AI"; simply to offer a view that AI and learning from the experience of others are mutually supportive and not the reverse.

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Kind of seems to opposite to what I want out of my traveling and exploring experiences. Kind of the point of it for me is to be unplugged and self-reliant.

But I am old and still injoye reading a map and discovering what is over the next hill.
Could one consider a map " artificial intelligence"?
Never had a paper map try to out guess me tell me what I want to do. But both can tell the same lies. So in that point you night have something.

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank IX
Launch Member

Steward III

First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Just to thought some more oil on the fire, below are the top 10 ways that ChatGPT-4 may enhance overlanding, according to ChatGPT:

ChatGPT can be a valuable tool for overlanding enthusiasts, offering a range of services and information that can enhance the experience. Here are the top 10 ways ChatGPT can assist you with overlanding:

1. Trip Planning: ChatGPT can help plan routes, suggest destinations, and offer advice on local attractions, weather conditions, and road types, ensuring a smoother journey.

2. Equipment Advice: Get recommendations on essential gear, vehicle modifications, and camping equipment tailored to specific environments or types of overlanding trips.

3. Emergency Information: Access important information such as local emergency contacts, first aid tips, and advice on handling unexpected situations in remote areas.

4. Language Assistance: Use ChatGPT as a translation tool to communicate with locals or understand signs and instructions in different languages, enhancing interactions and navigation in foreign countries.

5. Cultural Guidance: Learn about local customs, cultural etiquette, and regulations to ensure respectful and safe interactions in new regions.

6. Educational Content: Gain insights into the geography, wildlife, and history of the areas you’re exploring to enrich your travel experience.

7. Cooking and Nutrition Tips: Receive recipes and advice on cooking while on the road, including how to prepare meals with limited resources.

8. Vehicle Maintenance Tips: Get guidance on maintaining and troubleshooting common vehicle issues, which is crucial in remote areas where professional help may not be readily available.

9. Weather Updates and Alerts: Stay updated on weather conditions and receive alerts about changes that could affect your travel plans.

10. Entertainment and Leisure: ChatGPT can also provide storytelling, games, and engaging conversations to keep spirits high during long stretches of travel.

What do you think?

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
I wrote this a while back on my blog, if you take a look read to the end.....
superstition mountains (4).png

Reactions: Dimitri_Raptis

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank IX
Launch Member

Steward III

First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I wrote this a while back on my blog, if you take a look read to the end.....
View attachment 280295
Really enjoyed reading your article. There is much more that AI can offer that we have not yet imagined. I like your DALE pics, they look vintage now… I just sense some fear in the community of new tools. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: whiskey7backroads

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
It's all good, enjoy the outdoors the way you like. Different tools for different folks are a good thing. I like to explore without maps and navigation and get lost. Others find that crazy and can't get out of the driveway without a map. As long as we get out, enjoy ourselves, stay safe, respect the land, and take care of our garbage, it's all good.

Brent
Whiskey7backroads.com

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
It's all good, enjoy the outdoors the way you like. Different tools for different folks are a good thing. I like to explore without maps and navigation and get lost. Others find that crazy and can't get out of the driveway without a map. As long as we get out, enjoy ourselves, stay safe, respect the land, and take care of our garbage, it's all good.

Brent
Whiskey7backroads.com
Well said.

Reactions: Dimitri_Raptis