USB Rope Light for Truck Canopy Rear Hatch?

• HTML tutorial

Lazynorse

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Olsen
Need thoughts and recommendations.
Thinking a slim led rope light might work out to illuminate my tailgate area. Would mount either near the top of my Snugtop canopy glass hatch (light up area nearer canopy entrance) or near the bottom of the hatch, where it meets the tailgate when closed (illuminate end of tailgate when opened, laying flat).

Snugtop comes stock with a little USB hub, at the left entrance of the canopy. Easy to plug in a USB rope light there.

Now, I also have windoors on either side. Maybe rope light those too! But now i need a product with x3 separate rope lights that can daisy chain, terminate with a USB.

Bonus points for softer color - amber - or ability to toggle brightness and color (red is great on occasion, bug reduction, night vision retention).

I’ve got a high quality clamping LED i’d hoped would work great clamped to the side or end of my glass canopy hatch while open, but the angles aren’t great for optimum work area light. Thus the rope light idea.

HKLover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ohio/Tenn
First Name
John
Last Name
Shanower
Member #

I have a previous version of this light mounted to the rear window in my Jeep. It is very bright and works extremely well. I would think the new version they have would work just as well and might be what you are looking for. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work in a truck cap rear glass just as well as a Jeep minus the fact that it wouldn't come on with the dome lights. Might be a manual turn on/turn off kind of thing.

Whatever you do or find, good luck!

Reactions: Lazynorse

19mystic96

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pacifica, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I have a Leer topper and wanted to do the same thing. Here's an example of what I did with mine. All of these are from Amazon. I have a dimmer switch that I got from SuperbrightLEDs.com to be able to dim them easily.

the back glass strip lights don't bend around corners easily but I was able to make them work. That was my first try working with them so if they go out then I'll come up with another solution if I need to.

Below are some pictures in the middle of the install. I wanted to see how much it lit up the inside before I continued with the install.

I'll snap a few more pics of the finished product when I go outside of whenI have the lights off to show you as well.

B232D5F1-F38D-4243-A640-AF9DA5AADA38.jpeg

72D5950A-CB73-4458-9438-736C376D4DEF.jpeg

Edit: added photos

1C44F311-3936-424A-8CC7-558B89B50536.jpeg09A48BCE-A7FA-44A7-A3C6-E8B90E824BF8.jpegD9BC7387-0D5A-4B47-BE0C-60D5A34F747C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazynorse