mtbe

Rank I

Traveler III

Colombia
First Name
David
Last Name
Hunkele
My wife overlanded the Americas for 2 years from 2018 to 2020. We bought a farm during Covid in Colombia and have made our lives there (All are welcome to visit!).

We are now thinking about heading to Europe/UK in late spring of 2025. I have a motorcycle in Colombia, but it's just a small 200cc. I'd like to buy in the UK or Europe.

From what I understand, it's not technically legal to do so: That I must have a EU Address or use a third party to register the moto.

I've found mycarturf, and a company in Croatia who will help me with this, but I need to find the bike.

I have many friends dotted over Europe and the UK. Is it possible that they put the bike in their name and write a power of attorney to give me 'permission' to ride it?

Reactions: El-Dracho

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
It used to be possible to buy vehicles, and perhaps bikes, in a number of countries on an export plate - a friend of mine bought a Saab in Sweden, and my father bought a Standard (now you know how long ago this was) in Germany. Worth checking with European bike manufacturers to see whether this is still possible - BMW being the obvious one.

PS: where are you in Colombia?

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Off-Road Ranger III

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi David,

Great that you would like to see Europe.

For registration here in Germany, for example, you need a residential address. Just as a quick thought, the following might be possible: someone else who has one could buy and register the motorcycle, it probably makes sense to make a contract between the two parties then, and this person leaves it to you for use, whereby this must also be clarified again with the insurance, in addition, you are then very quickly on the subject of renting with corresponding tax consequences and you would need a power of attorney for the vehicle for border crossings, for example (which is common practice, so no problem).

Just my thoughts without having prctical experience with this. Maybe it's easier in the UK. @OverlandFaction might know that. Lee, can you help with this, please?

You could also check out the forums of Horizons Unlimited. There are many motorcycle travellers who might have experience with that.

Enjoy planning your trip and when you come to Germany let me know and we can meet for a beer or two then and I show you around.

Bjoern