RaD Overlanding

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Kwapich
I am building a 2020 F250. Idk if it is unusual or not, but I am not sure if it will be too big or not. BUT, I have seen a lot of people say "build what you already have". This is my first rig build, started kinda overlanding last year, bought a truck bed tent, and basically have everything we need to survive on our own. However, it takes me about 45 mins to get camp completley set up. Looking to get that time down, a lot!

We are planning a 2 week trip next spring/summer to head west to Yellowstone and The Grand Tetons, so the beginning of the year will be spent building amd buying.

Rick

Reactions: DintDobbs

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

A lot of the smaller AWD rigs are overlooked and for me, this is my daily driver... I do have another rock crawler for getting into more remote spots, but this one hauls my family and gear ( usually with a trailer, picture was a solo trip). Most people see the compass as an under powered, AWD car ... which I cant argue too much but it works.
It has a 2" lift and slightly larger tires, and wheel spacers, with slightly wider wheels but it can get me through places others would turn around.
I managed to navigate a section of trail with my rig that others got hung up on, blew tires on, and caved in rockers. I have been offroading for many years in a larger, more well equipped vehicle and stepping back into a smaller vehicle really makes you think more about picking a line. it is 2 very different styles of offroad lol.
302498242_568660528332930_8091517152688230522_n.jpg
302436405_789155595685881_8768736812070289375_n.jpg305832086_2051090025279128_1697877979155151017_n.jpg305864597_766595077958562_2013210347648846088_n.jpg306328605_841260283949550_5766618436483405993_n.jpg

Attachments

gamble_90

Rank I

Contributor III

South Africa
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Dyson
I am building a 2020 F250. Idk if it is unusual or not, but I am not sure if it will be too big or not. BUT, I have seen a lot of people say "build what you already have". This is my first rig build, started kinda overlanding last year, bought a truck bed tent, and basically have everything we need to survive on our own. However, it takes me about 45 mins to get camp completley set up. Looking to get that time down, a lot!

We are planning a 2 week trip next spring/summer to head west to Yellowstone and The Grand Tetons, so the beginning of the year will be spent building amd buying.

Rick
"Build what you already have" .... Now that's a saying to overland by

gamble_90

Rank I

Contributor III

South Africa
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Dyson
A lot of the smaller AWD rigs are overlooked and for me, this is my daily driver... I do have another rock crawler for getting into more remote spots, but this one hauls my family and gear ( usually with a trailer, picture was a solo trip). Most people see the compass as an under powered, AWD car ... which I cant argue too much but it works.
It has a 2" lift and slightly larger tires, and wheel spacers, with slightly wider wheels but it can get me through places others would turn around.
I managed to navigate a section of trail with my rig that others got hung up on, blew tires on, and caved in rockers. I have been offroading for many years in a larger, more well equipped vehicle and stepping back into a smaller vehicle really makes you think more about picking a line. it is 2 very different styles of offroad lol.
View attachment 247200
View attachment 247201View attachment 247202View attachment 247205View attachment 247206
I've always liked the Compass. It's a best of both worlds kind of SUV. Awesome Set-up you have going

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
2015 patriot here. Love the thing to death. It's perfect for us. It's gets great gas milage, has plenty of room, it has no power and ours looks much better than the rest of the small tire,d wiener dog looking patriots driving around town here. ha ha. this is a poser shot. I am still chasing a clunk in the front end, I really don't want to take off the lift as it rides awesome, but I may have to. I am going to get the dealer to have a look at a couple of things after talking to some people here regarding the front end. I haven't had a chance to crap I have been so busy. But I am going to call today and see if they got some free space for me to go have a look.

20220826_101140834_iOS.jpg

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
View attachment 247200
View attachment 247201View attachment 247202View attachment 247205View attachment 247206
Those Trailhawk versions are awesome...almost bought a Cherokee Trailhawk but could justify the money they were asking. Styling is beautiful though.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Those Trailhawk versions are awesome...almost bought a Cherokee Trailhawk but could justify the money they were asking. Styling is beautiful though.
Their prices come back down to earth in the used market. I can pick up a couple of year old one here with 130k KMs on the clock for 17,900 Not bad for a fully loaded trailhawk with the v6 and tow package.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
2005 Ford Escape. It's been far more capable that I expected...
I typically just roll out a sleeping pad and sleeping bag in the back, just enough room for me to lay flat diagonally.
20210912_094720.jpg

SimplyLesa

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Witch Well, Arizona
First Name
Lesa
Last Name
NeSmith
Member #

Let's try that again with the picture!
1998 Chevy (Zuki/ Geo/Suzuki) Tracker. 2 Door, Automatic, 4x4, 2" lift, 235/75/R15 tires, Hitch mounted Waterport, Perrycraft roof rails with Recovery tracks, Spare tire Saddlebags and backpack, magnetic weBoost antenna and OTR 5G Sleek weBoost, 300W Rockpals portable battery pack with 100W portable solar panel. Front mount 20" Nilight light bar and mini bull bar. (( Still working on Alpicool C12 fridge and solar upgrade with enough power to keep fridge in freezer mode - discussing Hood mounted system with both Cascade 4x4 & LenSun))

Off to Baja in 10 days!!!

Attachments

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Hyundai isn't where most minds go when it comes to overlanding...
View attachment 251390

Aftermarket support? What's that?
I rented one of those a while back. Drive from Vegas, hit a couple places in Arizona, drove around death valley for a few days, Johnson valley, and then Joshua tree. It was a nice smooth comfortable ride and surprisingly good on gas.20190201_115628-PANO.jpg

slowlane

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Bender
Not much of a "build" but my main mode of travel is a 1966 VW Beetle. I made a sleeping platform that fits inside after removing all but the driver's seat. The VW has taken me many places across the country. It's a good car.

Wandering in northern Nebraska.

Old Highway 50, Utah

Pacific Ocean, California.

Sleeping setup. A bit tight, but it works.

Last edited: