Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Well I agree with you on the drunk part but we did camp there all weekend . Overlanding dose not mean that you or the group have to be a sanctioned event. you can go out by your self and be Overlanding. It dose not even mean you have to camp it's the adventure and the Exploring that makes it Overland ...
Eh. I’d consider going somewhere and camping all weekend to be just that... camping.

A multi-day expedition that is vehicle-dependent, involves adventure, exploration, route planning, and camping? That’s overlanding.

If I go out in the Jeep and drive out to my favorite camp spot and plop down for the weekend, it’s a whole heck of a lot of different - in terms of mindset, planning and preparation, etc. - than the trips I do where I cover 1,000+ miles (mostly off-road) over 4-5 days, driving all day, and camping each night.

Reactions: MOAK

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

In the first place, you guys aren't overlanding. . You're just goin out 4 wheelin. Huge and I mean a Huge difference. The last time I was out with a group it was at a sanctioned overlanding/4wheelin event. I was the trail leader of 6 other rigs that partook in a 3 day 2 nighter excursion. There wasn't a single person among us that found the need or desire to get drunk. Did we have a libation or 2 around the campfire at night? Sure. Good friends, good booze and good campfire always equals a good time. If any one of them would have gotten drunk, and become disorderly they would have been immediately kicked out of the excursion, the TLCA, and banned from their local club. I, along with many others have zero tolerance for drunken assholes. I'm certainly not a tea-totaler as I enjoy getting my nose a bit numb, as do most all of my friends and trail buddies, but we all know where the line is. I would strongly suggest you cut those guys loose as we are all no better, nor no less, than the company we keep.
This.

Multiple time a year, I get out with a group of at least 3-8 rigs for multi-day expeditions where we cover a lot of ground during the day exploring and camp at night. Each night at camp, booze is consumed. But, we all know where the line is.

If someone were to be drinking (or using another substance) while driving during the day, or getting out of hand at camp, they’d be sent home at the first opportunity.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Eh. I’d consider going somewhere and camping all weekend to be just that... camping.

A multi-day expedition that is vehicle-dependent, involves adventure, exploration, route planning, and camping? That’s overlanding.

If I go out in the Jeep and drive out to my favorite camp spot and plop down for the weekend, it’s a whole heck of a lot of different - in terms of mindset, planning and preparation, etc. - than the trips I do where I cover 1,000+ miles (mostly off-road) over 4-5 days, driving all day, and camping each night.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I agree with this statement. do alot of day trips and call that wheeling. Also go out some weekends and stay in one spot and call that camping that i have to wheel to. But I think the overland nature is running and gunning the whole time. A 1+ day trip where your goal is getting somewhere and you cover ground that you can put your rig through what you think will not tare up anything. ( wheeling : i think youve gotta break atleast something to call it that). Its vehicle dependent travel. Explore and adventure. You can call it what you want. No body judges what you call it. We are all out there to have fun! I try to go just with my gf. We plan four big trips a year that are about a week each. Have had bad experiences with some camping trips when i was younger with friends that soured it so I do most of my stuff with just the gf. Cutting the rascals out of your life makes an easier day Its better to Keep up like minding people.

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
I don't drink. I also don't associate with people who drink in excess or lose self control while intoxicated. Life is too short to spend it with assholes and there are enough hazards in overlanding without your "friends" turning into hazards. If I were in a larger group of associates (not necessarily friends) I would either ask them to leave or leave myself... (see previous statement about life length and assholes.)

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

I don’t understand what you mean...?
Your original statement was “don’t hang out with people who drink.”

Most people drink (U.S. numbers, but according to the NIH which cites the 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, 86.4% of people ages 18+ reported they drank alcohol at some point in their lives, 70.1% of people reported they drank in the past year, and 56% of people reported they drank in the past month).

Are you just going to avoid hanging out with the majority of people?

Better (more realistic) advice: Don’t hang out with people that can’t handle their alcohol or don’t know where their limit is, and if you make the mistake of doing so, cut that person from future invites (at least where alcohol might be present). Most importantly, be up front about the reason.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Your original statement was “don’t hang out with people who drink.”

Most people drink (U.S. numbers, but according to the NIH which cites the 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, 86.4% of people ages 18+ reported they drank alcohol at some point in their lives, 70.1% of people reported they drank in the past year, and 56% of people reported they drank in the past month).

Are you just going to avoid hanging out with the majority of people?

Better (more realistic) advice: Don’t hang out with people that can’t handle their alcohol or don’t know where their limit is, and if you make the mistake of doing so, cut that person from future invites (at least where alcohol might be present). Most importantly, be up front about the reason.
That is correct... my circle of friends does not include anyone who drinks... regardless of what statistics say, there are a lot of people out there who don’t drink.

James

Reactions: dr56099

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

This reminds me of a thread where someone suggested adding a dating aspect to the OB forum under the premise that it'd be cool to meet a like-minded companion here, and also so they could see if an event is full of married people so the single person could opt out of being a 3rd or 5th wheel sitting around a campfire.

"You don't have to be lonely at overlandonly.com" haha

Probably 70-90% of the people I meet at campgrounds, on trails, or wherever else are nice, polite, fine people. I'm sure I'd be happy hanging out by a fire next to any of you if you stopped by my campground. But this is the internet! There is no need to be accepting of anyone here, right?

So maybe the "dating site" idea has merit and we can eliminate ALL of the annoying attributes of our potential fellow campers--not just drinking. Lets start excluding people:

Married couple seeking fellow adventurers.
Age: late 20s/30s looking for 20s, 30s, 40s or anyone nice and fun.
Smoke: No, but not offended by it if it's not in my face.
Drink: Yes, in moderation. Don't care if you do or don't.
Kids: No, but for some trips kids are fine.
Dogs: Two of them, potentially annoying.
Non-Overlanding hobbies: camping, 4-wheeling (haha). Climbing mountains, studying geology, studying history, photography, and campsite games like kanjam, cornhole, or playing cards.

Maybe that's stupid. Maybe I'm on to something?

You can exclude all you want, but the day will come where it's a friend of a friend, or a nearby camper getting on your nerves. That's where interpersonal skills beyond excluding and banning will come in handy. I have yet to meet someone whose sole purpose of going on a trip is to piss off other campers. Most people out there will respond respectfully if they are approached respectfully. But if the sight alone of my wife and me sitting by our campfire drinking Coors Light is offensive, either bring over some IPAs or camp somewhere else.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I didn’t say it offended me... and I didn’t say I wouldn’t camp near you.

The OP asked how to avoid the situation he found himself in, and I told him my simple solution, which works for me and my friends every time. Will it work for you? No idea...

You can choose your friends, and you can all agree beforehand what you will and will not do while together.

Is my solution/opinion right? For me it is. It has worked for years... is it right for you? Dunno, I’m not you. All I know is that if I have coworkers that drink, and they invite me to hang out, I tell them I’d rather not because I don’t bring my family around alcohol... honestly though they rarely ask me because they know my stance on the subject. There are plenty of people who want to hang out and not drink, and those are the people I hang with, simple as that...

It’s just one proposed solution. Nothing more.

I suppose I could stay out if it, but that would negate the reason for a forum, which is where people with a common interest go to converse and share ideas.

James

Reactions: MOAK and MtnManAlex

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I didn’t say it offended me... and I didn’t say I wouldn’t camp near you.

The OP asked how to avoid the situation he found himself in, and I told him my simple solution, which works for me and my friends every time. Will it work for you? No idea...

You can choose your friends, and you can all agree beforehand what you will and will not do while together.

Is my solution/opinion right? For me it is. It has worked for years... is it right for you? Dunno, I’m not you. All I know is that if I have coworkers that drink, and they invite me to hang out, I tell them I’d rather not because I don’t bring my family around alcohol... honestly though they rarely ask me because they know my stance on the subject. There are plenty of people who want to hang out and not drink, and those are the people I hang with, simple as that...

It’s just one proposed solution. Nothing more.

I suppose I could stay out if it, but that would negate the reason for a forum, which is where people with a common interest go to converse and share ideas.

James
I wasn't replying to you specifically, and it sounds like you have a great attitude towards the subject.

The majority of responses seem to push excluding and banning this guys friends forever. It is probably the best course of action for the future. It's the risk of them being idiots again versus the reward of camping with friends.

OP unexpectedly found himself in the situation where it was too late to ban and exclude. You might someday setup camp, only to have a group of loud drunken jerks set up camp close to you.

When thrust into the situation, my advice for OP was to remember that nobody is intentionally out there trying to piss off other campers or make a scene. Approaching people calmly, positively, and respectfully about these concerns can yield great results and prevent a situation from escalating into OPs situation.

Really I think, thanks to the forum and respectful dialog, the combination of our approaches solves the problem entirely: Control what you can ahead of time, but if the situation arises; handle it with poise.

Banning and excluding is great advice and is a key part of planning a successful trip. To me, it is one of the hardest parts of trip planning. I hate telling someone that we don't want them to come for a trip because we don't feel like hanging out with their kids, or because if I invite them then I know they'll invite their annoying friend too. It sucks telling people they have to choose between traveling with us or seeing a National Park because our dogs aren't allowed.

I just don't take banning and excluding as lightly as some people talk about it. These are similarly-minded people sharing a hobby with me and this overlanding thing is something of a community. I'm not so fast to throw people to the curb because they drink or have a kid, or a dog, or a spouse, or whatever. Many times I travel alone, but other times I value the company of others. My campfire is open to guests. I don't like too much nonsense and riff-raff, but I also accept apologies and don't hold grudges forever.

My last sentence of the previous post, that "if drinking Coors Light is offensive you can bring IPA or camp somewhere else". I was trying to joke that the low quality beer (Coors Light) might be more offensive than the actual act of drinking.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
The final solution? (oops, that sounds a little odd) We just don't camp at organized campgrounds, well, very rarely. The last time we did, the "camp host" was being a complete arse. Loud music, boisterous behavior, lots of beer, then,, a widescreen TV showed up outside under their camper awning. I finally dosed off with TV noise blaring in the back round.. I'm an early riser, but my grandsons and brother-in-law are not. The next morning the "camp host" was up splitting wood at 5:30. Really? I went over and offered a mug of coffee, struck up a friendly conversation and casually mentioned how interesting it was that he and his party chose to bring the rat race with them to one of the most remote organized camp grounds in Pennsylvania. It took him quite sometime to even understand what I was talking about, but once he finally got it, I got told to blow off. If I didn't like it I could leave. So, we did.
My Point? Communicating gently and kindly to lower life forms very rarely does any good. Rude, arrogant, obnoxious and stupid all seem to go hand in hand and over the course of my life I've learned that when confronted with this just walk away.

Reactions: SubeeBen and Jedi

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

The final solution? (oops, that sounds a little odd) We just don't camp at organized campgrounds, well, very rarely. The last time we did, the "camp host" was being a complete arse. Loud music, boisterous behavior, lots of beer, then,, a widescreen TV showed up outside under their camper awning. I finally dosed off with TV noise blaring in the back round.. I'm an early riser, but my grandsons and brother-in-law are not. The next morning the "camp host" was up splitting wood at 5:30. Really? I went over and offered a mug of coffee, struck up a friendly conversation and casually mentioned how interesting it was that he and his party chose to bring the rat race with them to one of the most remote organized camp grounds in Pennsylvania. It took him quite sometime to even understand what I was talking about, but once he finally got it, I got told to blow off. If I didn't like it I could leave. So, we did.
My Point? Communicating gently and kindly to lower life forms very rarely does any good. Rude, arrogant, obnoxious and stupid all seem to go hand in hand and over the course of my life I've learned that when confronted with this just walk away.
LOL... that is also true.

I used to like camping at campgrounds, but the more overlanding we do, the more remote I like being. I’m not sure I could go back now that I’ve mentally made the switch.

James

Reactions: Jedi and MOAK

Jimmy Schantz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

I wasn't replying to you specifically, and it sounds like you have a great attitude towards the subject.

The majority of responses seem to push excluding and banning this guys friends forever. It is probably the best course of action for the future. It's the risk of them being idiots again versus the reward of camping with friends.

OP unexpectedly found himself in the situation where it was too late to ban and exclude. You might someday setup camp, only to have a group of loud drunken jerks set up camp close to you.

When thrust into the situation, my advice for OP was to remember that nobody is intentionally out there trying to piss off other campers or make a scene. Approaching people calmly, positively, and respectfully about these concerns can yield great results and prevent a situation from escalating into OPs situation.

Really I think, thanks to the forum and respectful dialog, the combination of our approaches solves the problem entirely: Control what you can ahead of time, but if the situation arises; handle it with poise.

Banning and excluding is great advice and is a key part of planning a successful trip. To me, it is one of the hardest parts of trip planning. I hate telling someone that we don't want them to come for a trip because we don't feel like hanging out with their kids, or because if I invite them then I know they'll invite their annoying friend too. It sucks telling people they have to choose between traveling with us or seeing a National Park because our dogs aren't allowed.

I just don't take banning and excluding as lightly as some people talk about it. These are similarly-minded people sharing a hobby with me and this overlanding thing is something of a community. I'm not so fast to throw people to the curb because they drink or have a kid, or a dog, or a spouse, or whatever. Many times I travel alone, but other times I value the company of others. My campfire is open to guests. I don't like too much nonsense and riff-raff, but I also accept apologies and don't hold grudges forever.

My last sentence of the previous post, that "if drinking Coors Light is offensive you can bring IPA or camp somewhere else". I was trying to joke that the low quality beer (Coors Light) might be more offensive than the actual act of drinking.
Great replied ..... I agree we can only control so much and sometimes you have to roll with it untill you can change your situation. Some people think they have all the answers! They are all big on tell other people what they should have done. Or that they would have not let it happen. Well they are in for a big surprise!!! Because nothing is 100 percent in our lives.

Jimmy Schantz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Great video I think alot of people need to watch the video. listen closely to what he says. It's in his opinion he says. And in the ending statement he says it's to help other people too. Leave it better than it was when you got there. So someone else will be able to enjoy it too. Adventure and exploration! It's not a job! Enjoy life ... You can not control the outcome or other people lives. You can only change so much, or move so far, or spend so much money ! Things are going to happen!!! Not everyone has a silver spoon in their pocket ! So many many times you have to roll with what you have , or stay home... I myself have started out with a old Chevy van, going camping at lakes, beaches, mountains . I now have a Jeep Wrangler and good friends to enjoy life with,!! I enjoy Overlanding with other like wise friends and still sit back and laugh at things that I have done...... FB_IMG_1537235790978.jpegIMG00180-20110417-1344.jpegIMG_20180708_125126239_HDR.jpeg

Reactions: SubeeBen

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

We like to drink. I think most people in the restaurant industry do. It helps us unwind and we just put on music and cook and pet the dogs. Also i have never been in a fight in my life, its always better to talk things down.
I know everyone reacts differently to different substances and alcohol and weed just arent for some peoples mindset.
We camp by ourselves 95% of the time, try and get as far from people as possible. There is usually no one out there on monday tuesdays so we rarely get rude neighbors.

Reactions: Jimmy Schantz