UK members

• HTML tutorial

Disco_Berty

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

cheadle, Stoke on Trent
Member #

Quick follow up. Had my MOT check today and it failed. MOT in the UK is a check which all cars over 4 years old have to undertake in order to prove that they are fit for driving on UK roads, i.e. they are not going to cause major crashes with being unfit to drive. I tend to find that my bill comes in each year at between 400 and 600 for the MOT and another 250 for the service costs. I keep thinking this is very expensive in comparison to my previous costs with much lesser cars. In the end this years cost came in at £498.

then I think about what I have done in my Disco 3 over the last 12 months, the trips in the UK, the trip to spain, the trip to Scotland and all my work mileage. then the safety that I gain from the car and transporting my family around and all of a sudden those costs don't seem that much. I wish I had mechanical skills but I don't, and I don't mind paying for the services of those that do.

I need to remember that this is not an average car that only drives on tarmac. this is a whole other beast, that is far more capable and will take me and my family anywhere. I traversed the pyrenees this year for nearly two weeks, did the north yorkshire moors, shropshire lanes, as well as circa 9K work miles. All have been done without incident and in complete comfort. Likewise, this year I hope to do much more and some of that cost will keep me going for the next 12 months. So, when this is taken into account, the costs are actually quite small since the cost compared to the experience of getting out there and experiencing the outdoors is simply inconsequential.

Reactions: mechman

mechman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Redcar - North East England
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Millar
Member #

here here! great way of looking at it. Like you say, these are far from "normal" cars and are very capable machines.
Quick funny story. I lived in Brisbane for 11 years and for most of them built and drove many kinds of 4WD but never a Landy. Good old Paj's, Patrols and of course Land Cruisers - the SWB FJ's being my fave. Anyway last year I brought my first LR, a Disco 2. It was in good nick until you looked closer underneath (that's another story lol). To test the beast out we decided to head over to the lakes and tag along on a "technical" route over some glorious parts of the lakes with some "G4" Pajero's. We had AT tyres, stock size. That was the only mod we had. The trip leader kept saying to me "hmmm doubt if you'll make this bit" or " you'll struggle with this bit" etc etc.. all day long. Never got stuck once, made it all the way around without any issues at all. He just took the piss and then scratched his head as I gave him a grin as I drove past him.
What was even funnier was that there was a guy following us, not with us tho, in a highly modded D2... basically what I have now on mine, or intend to fit. He was with his partner, (handbrake as they are called in Oz) and you could see them watching and talking and her shaking her head and you could see he was really getting a hard time from her. We all stopped at a look out and they parked next to us, and as she got out we heard her saying rather loudly "and could you explain again why you've spent so much fucking money on this car when clearly a standard one will do the same thing" lol, we didn't know where to look. Felt sorry for the guy!
needless to say he took a different route from us after that.

Reactions: Disco_Berty

Disco_Berty

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

cheadle, Stoke on Trent
Member #

Hi Rob,

Very funny story and difficult for the poor chap to respond to. Whilst the wife's logic is sound, it is second nature for us to continue to tweak the vehicle setup in order to make it a better vehicle overall and one which they will ultimately have a bit more luxury in. A difficult sell though when you want to swap wheels, tyres, suspension, etc and they cannot see the impact.

off to the icefest camp on the 13th in buxton. so far 30 plus land rovers turning up to test our kit against the weather, as well as sit around a big fire, drinking beer and taking the Mickey out of each other. Plus do a few lanes in the peak district. http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic153069.html

be good to meet up with other members at some point to take in some of the scenery and trails that the UK has, or maybe further afield. the arctic circle trip sounds awesome - is that Greenland you are going to or something in Finland, Norway or Sweden? I really want to do Iceland at some point as well as Norway.

cheers and welcome to the forum
john

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

You dont want to go to Greenland. That is awesome cold and remote.
But the artic circle in Scandinavia is superb.
Well, As I am fairly in the middle of it all, what about a meeting at Furstenau Germany. It is a pay and play park. Pretty awesome with good facilities. Restaurant/hotel and such.
We could do a europe Overland Bound meeting there.

Greetings from Robert

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

Hey another newbie here. Haven't ordered my membership gear yet. Just waiting for a guide to tshirt sizes before I go ahead. I drive my pride and joy Defender 90 in sunny Plymouth.

As an add on there is a gathering of Defenders and Series at Pentillie Castle in Cornwall on April 2 2017. Follow the link for more information. https://www.pentillie.co.uk/events-at-pentillie-castle/land-rover-defender-day-2nd-april-2017/
Is that a Tentipi in your avatar? I was really close to getting one of those but decided for an Aussie Touring style tent from Southern Cross. How have you found the Tentipi?

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Is that a Tentipi in your avatar? I was really close to getting one of those but decided for an Aussie Touring style tent from Southern Cross. How have you found the Tentipi?
YES it's a Tentipi. I seem to remember it's the Safir 7 (or it could be the Safer 9). It's so quick and easy to erect. I'm considering the optional porch too.

mechman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Redcar - North East England
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Millar
Member #

Hi Rob,

Very funny story and difficult for the poor chap to respond to. Whilst the wife's logic is sound, it is second nature for us to continue to tweak the vehicle setup in order to make it a better vehicle overall and one which they will ultimately have a bit more luxury in. A difficult sell though when you want to swap wheels, tyres, suspension, etc and they cannot see the impact.

off to the icefest camp on the 13th in buxton. so far 30 plus land rovers turning up to test our kit against the weather, as well as sit around a big fire, drinking beer and taking the Mickey out of each other. Plus do a few lanes in the peak district. http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic153069.html

be good to meet up with other members at some point to take in some of the scenery and trails that the UK has, or maybe further afield. the arctic circle trip sounds awesome - is that Greenland you are going to or something in Finland, Norway or Sweden? I really want to do Iceland at some point as well as Norway.

cheers and welcome to the forum
john
looking to do the Norway-Sweden route. Been inspired by the guys at Campervan Culture.com. Check out their trip blog on youtube.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
anyone else get shafted by customs for their membership parcel? they are asking me for £23!! wtf?
Yes I'm in Cyprus and got hit with 20 euro customs.
Soon be leaving Cyprus to return to UK based near Aberdeen but have a 12 month Turkey and Europe trip to do on the way.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Tom Burnet

Rank VI
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rhyl, Denbighshire, Wales, United Kingdom
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Burnet
Member #

Hey chaps.
I'm based in North Wales, if you guys ever head this way give me a shout and keep in touch for any expedition trips you guys do & are happy for one more to tag along with [emoji51]

Mines a Discovery 1 300 TDI pictured here [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Hey all. Fairly new member here. I drive a Defender 90. It seems by looking at the map that I'm the only member in the South West of England. Ah well maybe there are more members on the way. We're heading off to Dorset soon to trial the new porch for the Tentipi tent.

Reactions: Tom Burnet

Disco_Berty

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

cheadle, Stoke on Trent
Member #

Hi Folks, I mentioned earlier in the thread that there was a camp coming up in January called Icefest that was being set up by the disco 3 forum. This is my brief update on what went well, what lessons I learned (aka what I got wrong) and a few photos (mostly related to one of the things I got wrong).

Buxton in the peak district was the venue. When I arrived at about 3, there was already about 20 other discoveries and defenders already set up. A lot of them had stove pipes coming out of their tents with fires lit to keep them warm. The temperature was -2 but the wind chill factor took this to around -6 celsius. Got the Oztent set up in record time. Then unpacked what I needed into the tent. I took along firewood to use as part of the communal camp fire, but in the end I brought it back as we did not use it.

What went well.
I decided to buy some army surplus gear to help keep me warm, in particular the british army arctic sleeping bag and what are called softie jacket and trousers (basically thermal gear). I also took some extreme weather gear that we bought when we went to lapland a couple of years ago. What most impressed me was the silk gear. I hear a few sniggers now and you guys are probably thinking I took some silk womens underwear with me or something. Nothing of the sort. Silk liner gloves, a silk face mask and silk sock liners. They were absolutely brilliant and really made a difference. the silk face mask was that hot I had to take it off at about 2.30am as my head was too warm.

I decided I wanted to really test myself, so I did not take any form of heater for the tent. I had plenty to chose from, but took non. I did not take any form of heating for the sleeping bag either such as a hot water bottle. In the end, I was toasty and not affected by the cold (except at night when the call of nature called). On that note, I also need to remind myself to get a bottle with a wider neck. ;-)

Disco performed great over the weekend. No issues whatsoever.

What lessons did I learn.
This was my first winter camp. I was not prepared for the impact that it would have on my electronic devices and on my gas cooking stoves.

electrics first, the cold zapped all my gizmos. Battery power in my iPad seemed to be dropping by 5% a minute. When I put it on charge over night using a backup device battery, the backup device did absolutely nothing and I ended up in the morning with less power than when I went to bed. The batteries for my go pro did not retain a charge and the best I had was about 20 minutes footage over the entire weekend.

Gas, I took both a cheap gas cooking stove and my jetboil. The cheap gas stove I bought from halfords takes cartridges. I had to keep taking the cartridge out, shaking it, then putting it back in to get any form of decent flame. Then after about 20 seconds, it returned to a very small flame that was not going to boil a kettle any time soon. I then used the jetboil and saw a similar thing, except it was slightly better. An inordinate amount of time later and I had a hot drink.

In both of the above lessons, what I should have done was kept the batteries and the gas canisters in my sleeping bag, or some other insulated material to protect them from the cold. That way they would have performed normally. Therefore an important lesson and one which michael and corrie also look like they learned on the trip to Utah.

My biggest frustration has been in drying out the oztent since I have been back. I put it outside for 2 days, but again with very low temperature it did nothing to dry it out.IMG_1303.JPGIMG_1302.JPGIMG_1307.JPGIMG_1313.JPG

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Mike King

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kent UK
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

Hi Folks, I mentioned earlier in the thread that there was a camp coming up in January called Icefest that was being set up by the disco 3 forum. This is my brief update on what went well, what lessons I learned (aka what I got wrong) and a few photos (mostly related to one of the things I got wrong).

Buxton in the peak district was the venue. When I arrived at about 3, there was already about 20 other discoveries and defenders already set up. A lot of them had stove pipes coming out of their tents with fires lit to keep them warm. The temperature was -2 but the wind chill factor took this to around -6 celsius. Got the Oztent set up in record time. Then unpacked what I needed into the tent. I took along firewood to use as part of the communal camp fire, but in the end I brought it back as we did not use it.

What went well.
I decided to buy some army surplus gear to help keep me warm, in particular the british army arctic sleeping bag and what are called softie jacket and trousers (basically thermal gear). I also took some extreme weather gear that we bought when we went to lapland a couple of years ago. What most impressed me was the silk gear. I hear a few sniggers now and you guys are probably thinking I took some silk womens underwear with me or something. Nothing of the sort. Silk liner gloves, a silk face mask and silk sock liners. They were absolutely brilliant and really made a difference. the silk face mask was that hot I had to take it off at about 2.30am as my head was too warm.

I decided I wanted to really test myself, so I did not take any form of heater for the tent. I had plenty to chose from, but took non. I did not take any form of heating for the sleeping bag either such as a hot water bottle. In the end, I was toasty and not affected by the cold (except at night when the call of nature called). On that note, I also need to remind myself to get a bottle with a wider neck. ;-)

Disco performed great over the weekend. No issues whatsoever.

What lessons did I learn.
This was my first winter camp. I was not prepared for the impact that it would have on my electronic devices and on my gas cooking stoves.

electrics first, the cold zapped all my gizmos. Battery power in my iPad seemed to be dropping by 5% a minute. When I put it on charge over night using a backup device battery, the backup device did absolutely nothing and I ended up in the morning with less power than when I went to bed. The batteries for my go pro did not retain a charge and the best I had was about 20 minutes footage over the entire weekend.

Gas, I took both a cheap gas cooking stove and my jetboil. The cheap gas stove I bought from halfords takes cartridges. I had to keep taking the cartridge out, shaking it, then putting it back in to get any form of decent flame. Then after about 20 seconds, it returned to a very small flame that was not going to boil a kettle any time soon. I then used the jetboil and saw a similar thing, except it was slightly better. An inordinate amount of time later and I had a hot drink.

In both of the above lessons, what I should have done was kept the batteries and the gas canisters in my sleeping bag, or some other insulated material to protect them from the cold. That way they would have performed normally. Therefore an important lesson and one which michael and corrie also look like they learned on the trip to Utah.

My biggest frustration has been in drying out the oztent since I have been back. I put it outside for 2 days, but again with very low temperature it did nothing to dry it out.View attachment 15249View attachment 15250View attachment 15251View attachment 15253