Weavor

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steven
Last Name
Pollard
Member #

I am pretty new to the community, so I have questions. I am really confused on what people call some of their rigs. I understand things like a weekender build ( your only going out for short runs), a touring build ( made for cruising around in comfort ) or names like that. What I dont understand is names like a "moose" build, a "base camp" build, or an "adventure" build, are they just like a prospector build based on a RAM 2500 or is it builds that are meant to overcome or accomplish something. Maybe I am just getting caught up in names. But I would like someone to tell me that please.

Thanks

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Pretty sure it's just whatever someone had in their head at the time. I have 2 rigs... one for off road/off grid and another for more road mannered trips with the family. Neither of them have a name or brand. Both are capable in their own way. Don't get hung up on what to call things.

Last edited:
Reactions: DintDobbs

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Weavor What's in a name? Largely, as @Red_Leaf_Overland said, it's whatever you call it. One man's weekender is another man's adventurer.

The name describes the rig's intended use more than the equipment involved in the build. I haven't heard of "moose" before, but...

A "base camp" build revolves around the intention of staying in one place for multiple days, and exploring the surrounding area. This can be accomplished either by camping in the vehicle and exploring on foot, bike, OHV, etc., or by camping in a tent or trailer and exploring in the tow vehicle.

An "adventure" build is made with the intention of vehicular travel. Camping is usually done in different spots each night, and can again be done inside the vehicle, in a tent, or in a trailer.

Both types of build could be identically equipped. Could be as simple as a station wagon and a ground tent. If you leave the tent set up during the day, it's a base camp rig. If you take the tent with you during the day, it's an adventure rig.

What vehicle do you have, and what do you like to do with it?

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I am pretty new to the community, so I have questions. I am really confused on what people call some of their rigs. I understand things like a weekender build ( your only going out for short runs), a touring build ( made for cruising around in comfort ) or names like that. What I dont understand is names like a "moose" build, a "base camp" build, or an "adventure" build, are they just like a prospector build based on a RAM 2500 or is it builds that are meant to overcome or accomplish something. Maybe I am just getting caught up in names. But I would like someone to tell me that please.

Thanks
The best thing honest folks will tell you is run what you brung, and the places you want to go and style you want to explore will tell you what you "may" need for mods and upgrades.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Thanks
The short answer is: these are all just made-up names, there are no hard-and-fast rules for naming, nor do the names mean anything at the end of the day. I could probably apply 100 different names to how I've built my Silverado, depending on how I use it that day. My WJ probably doesn't fit into any of the names you gave, but can do just about any type of Overlanding (because, "what does Overlanding even mean", after all). Just build the thing that works best for how you intend to use it and forget what somebody else feels they need to call it.

-TJ

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Hmmm
Moose build?????
Really tall, skinny tires. swamp buggy?

Do all my antenna make mine a porcupine build or do I need to be closer to the ground?

People do like naming things.