Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jackson, MS, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Lofton
Member #

I am looking into doing the Hill Country Loop and wanted to see if anyone has done this run. If so any pointers, advice, or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thinking of making the run possibly sometime in later October. Once the Temps are somewhat a little more bearable here in TX.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
I am looking into doing the Hill Country Loop and wanted to see if anyone has done this run. If so any pointers, advice, or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thinking of making the run possibly sometime in later October. Once the Temps are somewhat a little more bearable here in TX.
That's definitely a possibility course it depends on the time frame. Even though I am retired I could probably do most anytime but I am doing some meetups with ob groups from the Austin area and then again from the DFW area. Not to mention rendezvous in the Ozarks. So what is your time frame?

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
It's definitely not anything technical. Very scenic with several easy water crossings. Try and take your time and enjoy. A great mid point camp is Del Rio Campground on the Llano River.
LOL after my little excursion today 2 hours on a Rocky trail I'm definitely looking for easy.

Attachments

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
LOL after my little excursion today 2 hours on a Rocky trail I'm definitely looking for easy.
The unlisted campsite near cloudcroft has about a mile and a half of those rocks.
I hadn't figured out the mileage cuz I was worn out after 2 hours. Traveling those rocks even got one that's took the back end of the Jeep and shoved it about a foot over.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Reactions: Sparksalot

Contributor III

Houston, TX
First Name
William
Last Name
Mai
Hit up Cooper's in Mason for some BBQ!

I did a Hill Country tour with an large group about a year ago, we started in Llano, went through Mason, Fredricksburg, Blanco, and everything in between and ended back up near austin by evening time. Took mostly dirt roads.

Commandalorian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jackson, MS, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Lofton
Member #

Reactions: Sparksalot

Commandalorian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jackson, MS, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Lofton
Member #

Hit up Cooper's in Mason for some BBQ!

I did a Hill Country tour with an large group about a year ago, we started in Llano, went through Mason, Fredricksburg, Blanco, and everything in between and ended back up near austin by evening time. Took mostly dirt roads.
Thanks for the recommendation! Always down for some good BBQ

Commandalorian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jackson, MS, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Lofton
Member #

It's definitely not anything technical. Very scenic with several easy water crossings. Try and take your time and enjoy. A great mid point camp is Del Rio Campground on the Llano River.
Awesome! That's exactly what I'm looking for. A nice mild scenic drive to enjoy with the family

Commandalorian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jackson, MS, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Lofton
Member #

That's definitely a possibility course it depends on the time frame. Even though I am retired I could probably do most anytime but I am doing some meetups with ob groups from the Austin area and then again from the DFW area. Not to mention rendezvous in the Ozarks. So what is your time frame?
Hadn't completely nailed down the time frames exactly. Thinking probably mid to late October and taking our time Maybe 2-3 days. I will try to update and create a rally point once the time frames are solidified

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Hadn't completely nailed down the time frames exactly. Thinking probably mid to late October and taking our time Maybe 2-3 days. I will try to update and create a rally point once the time frames are solidified
Well rendezvous in the Ozarks is the 16th through the 18th of October I hadn't fully committed to it I really have this week to make up my mind. So just let me know the dates cuz outside of that I just have two VA appointments but they will be mid-week

Adventures with Penny

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Eagle Mountain, Utah, United States
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Peiser
Member #

A group of us will be camping a bunch at Oxford Ranch October-April. You're welcome to join us and drive the loop. Spring is a really great time to drive it, sooo many colors and flowers. Also check out the Leakey/Camp Wood area for some amazing roads and hills. Tons of water crossing down there!
1598970191060.png
1598970214766.png
1598970263371.png1598970324939.png

Last edited:

Commandalorian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jackson, MS, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Lofton
Member #

A group of us will be camping a bunch at Oxford Ranch October-April. You're welcome to join us and drive the loop. Spring is a really great time to drive it, sooo many colors and flowers. Also check out the Leakey/Camp Wood area for some amazing roads and hills. Tons of water crossing down there!
View attachment 168996
View attachment 168997
View attachment 168998View attachment 168999
Thanks for the invite. I may just have to take you up on that sometimes. Yeah I bet it is really nice out during the spring. I appreciate the suggestions. I'll look into the other area as well. Thanks!

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
Sounds good to me. Do you already have ideas for campsites?

Adventures with Penny

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Eagle Mountain, Utah, United States
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Peiser
Member #

I'm interested in driving this loop sometime late summer/early fall. Can anyone point me to some directions on what roads/paths to take? I've got a starting point at Hwy 71 and County Rd. 310.

Thanks for any advice!

Reactions: BlueTinCan