Two Ton Truck!

• HTML tutorial

Dave Decker

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Paradise Hills, NM
Member #

Out on the trail the other day with a Ford F-450 two-ton farm truck and my JKU. It rained over 6 inches in four hours while we were out and the farm truck ended up burying itself to the axles in the muck. I had a winch, recovery strap, snatch strap, and a hi-lift jack, but was unable to recover the truck for several reasons, not the least of which is that my tires kept spinning in the mud! With the winch, even with my tires blocked, I just slid toward the stuck truck. I didn't have MaxTrax, though in this situation I sure wish that I did. What could I have done differently to get that huge truck out of the mud?

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have a 5/4 ton truck (Jeep M715) and have driven on MMR's (minimum maintenance roads) that are usually just dirt. With that amount of rain, I'd seriously caution anyone from going out in it unless absolutely necessary. This is mainly from a conservation standpoint to avoid unnecessary destruction of trails and roads. That being said, I have had to drive in a similar condition in order to rescue a stranded car. I was about axle deep in mud/water and managed to drive right on through. Part of it has to do with the gearing of my truck as it has super low gearing. I left it in 4 low and 2nd and kept my RPM's reasonable as to avoid churning things up too much and digging myself in. Another part is the Super Swamper tires. I swear by them on that truck. Sometimes though, you just get stuck. Come prepared to get unstuck.

Reactions: Dave Decker

Dave Decker

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Paradise Hills, NM
Member #

I have a 5/4 ton truck (Jeep M715) and have driven on MMR's (minimum maintenance roads) that are usually just dirt. With that amount of rain, I'd seriously caution anyone from going out in it unless absolutely necessary. This is mainly from a conservation standpoint to avoid unnecessary destruction of trails and roads. That being said, I have had to drive in a similar condition in order to rescue a stranded car. I was about axle deep in mud/water and managed to drive right on through. Part of it has to do with the gearing of my truck as it has super low gearing. I left it in 4 low and 2nd and kept my RPM's reasonable as to avoid churning things up too much and digging myself in. Another part is the Super Swamper tires. I swear by them on that truck. Sometimes though, you just get stuck. Come prepared to get unstuck.
Good advice BikeHauler. We were prepared, mostly, the only thing I wish I had that I didn't was a set of MaxTrax or something similar. I think that would have got him out. This was the rancher's truck, on his roads, so his call. The rain wasn't forecast and started after we were out in the bush! Worst storm they'd ever seen on the ranch. I'm thinking we could have used a spare tire as an earth anchor, then also used a 2:1 pulley haul system with the winch. We had what we needed to do that, except the patience to pull it off. It continued to rain heavily and none of us wanted to be out in it mucking around.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
Out on the trail the other day with a Ford F-450 two-ton farm truck and my JKU. It rained over 6 inches in four hours while we were out and the farm truck ended up burying itself to the axles in the muck. I had a winch, recovery strap, snatch strap, and a hi-lift jack, but was unable to recover the truck for several reasons, not the least of which is that my tires kept spinning in the mud! With the winch, even with my tires blocked, I just slid toward the stuck truck. I didn't have MaxTrax, though in this situation I sure wish that I did. What could I have done differently to get that huge truck out of the mud?
One or more snatch blocks can help a lot!

Reactions: Dave Decker