Rank III

Enthusiast II

Reno, Washoe County, Nevada, United States
First Name
Russel
Last Name
Parker
Member #

I’m an aging overlander and have been overloading before it was called overlanding. We would take our two stroke motorcycles in the back of our two wheel truck in the desert or mountains and cook by a campfire with cast iron pots and pans trying to sleep in the back of our truck bed our crammed in the truck cab. So yea been there and done that have the t-shit and hat and matching boots on that.

The point I’m trying to make is it very nice see more and more people getting involved with this overland experience and now that I’m well into my sixties and not as strong or agile as I use to be. I enjoy just getting out sometimes by my self. Which brings me to this point. I was out by my self on a very hot day in the middle of the Nevada desert out side of Ely Nevada exploring old gold mines when I ended up tearing a hold in my drivers side from sidewall tire on the trail. Tried as I did, I just wasn’t strong enough to be to get the job done. So I sat down drank the last of my water I had pondered about what condition I’d be in when they finally found me. However I must have had an angel Looking over my shoulder because another young couple who had noticed my situation came to the rescue. This young man and his domestic partner saved me and even followed me back to the high before returning to their trip. I was so very grateful and they have remained very close friends.