Truck topper

• HTML tutorial

Contributor III

Gilford, Belknap County, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Kulcsar
Hey everyone, my dad is just getting started overlanding. He has a 2019 Toyota tundra, and is looking for a hard shell camper back for it. Do any of y’all have any good recommendations for one? I put bed bars and a soft shell roof top tent on mine so this is more foreign to me so any advice helps!

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Man check Facebook Marketplace, at least where I live there are dozens for sale all different types and sizes. Great price to get started. If you just want to jump in, ARE and LEER are nice or you can go full on Four Wheel Campers.

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

I’m looking for one too. Smart Cap worries me because it’s separate pieces and things can leak. Found a few videos with the seals coming out and bolts coming loose even with locking nuts. And it’s super $$$$. Nothing decent on FB except for shells that have brush through the windows and dents.

Dave in AZ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Mac
An ARE or Leer is $3000, then when you add a decent window about $3400.
Then you have a camper shell, which like everyone else, you will hate and sell cheap in a few years. You can't get to anything, can't stand up, etc.

Do your Dad a favor and point him to a popup or wedge truck camper. 1000% more usefulness, can sleep in there in bed, standup in there, access all the storage...

Like everyone else, I started off looking at an ARE topper, the DCU large commercial. Ended up getting a Tune M1 lol.

Show him this Topo Toppers for a Tundra, $7450.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I am a Big Snug top shell fan. they are laid up fiberglass not blown. Years ago I was with a friend that slowed rolled a F350 and The rig spent the night resting on the shell, the Gell coat was perfect when we got it off the rock. I've been very happy with mine on the last two trucks. I would consider a Smart Cap a now I put kayaks and surfboards on overhead rack. I don't like the clam shell tents. YMMV.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I'm guessing you're looking for your gladiator which means you're shopping for parts that have been on the market less than 4 years... not going to find many aside from buying new because most people haven't sold their JT. I ended up selling my cap for 75% of what I paid for it at 3.5 years old when I sold mine and it had some use.