Huntersville, NC
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FYV
For those of you out there that don't have a topper/tonneau on your truck bed, what solutions have you found for dry storage? I know all about pelican cases and the aluminum boxes, but are there any other less expensive options? I have a rack on order and will have a RTT so that should keep *some* rain out of the back. Any pics?

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I have, and love, my canopy (with several mods) but if I didn't I'd definitely go this route....fairly new and very modular & creative storage that keeps the bed & would allow RTT......

http://www.leitnerdesigns.com/category-s/122.htm
I have the Leitner designs rack and a roof top tent and it is by no means even close to water proof or even water resistant. That being said I love the setup and am ecstatic about it. I use cheap black plastic utility boxes from Costco to store stuff and it all tends to stay dry.

Sent from my LG-H810 using OB Talk mobile app

VanDubs

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntersville, NC
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FYV
Thanks.l guys. Yeah I know it won't be a waterproof setup by any means but it's good to k ow that utility bins/boxes work well enough.

bajatacoguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Portsmouth NH
First Name
John
Last Name
Lomastro
Member #

Ridgid Tools has some nice stackable/attachable boxes (in HD tool section) very cool set-up!

—————————

Hey Now!

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

Ridgid Tools has some nice stackable/attachable boxes (in HD tool section)
Those are pretty decent, but the seal isn't waterproof, more resistant.

HD also has the DeWalt "Tough Series" boxes on clearance right now. I own a ton, and love them. They've seen rainstorms in the Philippines and didn't even get vapor.

-CP TACO
OB #3276

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

So what's the preference first on truck cap or the bar racks going up and across? Before I start worrying about how I keep it in the bed. Seems to be a healthy balance of both on here, so why are some doing one way and others doing say the truck cap?

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

I went with the RCI rack for strength and stability. Had a leer cap originally, it was not holding up well with the bumpy drives on trails. The cap i had was also not strong enough for the RTT.

I picked up a bihlerflex 6 point flex web to hold my gear in the bed. We use a mix of plano bins and a pair of water resistant luggage bags. Im not sure yet if it will be enough with all the gear we are taking. Will have to wait and see in the spring when we do a test run.

This is one of the bags we use: http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Patagonia-Black-Hole-60L-Duffel_10281568_10208_10000001_-1_

Last edited:

thomcl22

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Steamboat Springs Colorado
Member #

I built a rack for mine that fits under a tonneau cover so I can hold my roof top tent but still retain the security of having a tonneau cover and a locked tailgate. I could not find anything on the market that also would not break the bank or that wasn't too tall.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Ironhide Fx4