First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Redding
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4LXY
Hey OB Fam,

Long and short of it is I am getting my Jeep properly done and my buddy and I want to take a trip. Problem is, I’m in Tampa and he has recently relocated to San Fran. Not that either of us are opposed to a cross country road trip, time and money are a factor. What would be a good, middle of the country trip to plan?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

Hey man, great to hear about getting work done on the Jeep. Do you have some other logistics we can work off of? Does your friend have a vehicle also or would he be coming to you? Would he be willing to fly down to you, or are you specifically looking to travel individually to a meet-up somewhere in the middle? What kind of timeframe are we looking at? Just trying to get a better idea of your options.

Wayward Overland

Rank III
Founder 500

Off-Road Ranger I

Tampa, FL
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Redding
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4LXY
Hey man, great to hear about getting work done on the Jeep. Do you have some other logistics we can work off of? Does your friend have a vehicle also or would he be coming to you? Would he be willing to fly down to you, or are you specifically looking to travel individually to a meet-up somewhere in the middle? What kind of timeframe are we looking at? Just trying to get a better idea of your options.
Once I’m set up, which will be by the end of the year, we will both have very capable Jeeps. He has a newer JK that’s well outfitted and I have and ‘06 Rubicon that is about to get some work. Our skill level is somewhere above basic. The type of trip we are looking for is where we can meet in the middle with both rigs and have a proper trip. I think we’re looking for more of a trail with cool stuff than a super technical rock crawling trip.

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

Got it. The Maze District out in Canyonlands is pretty epic, I'll throw a vote out for that. I've been twice and can't wait to get back again, there's just so much to see. You can basecamp in Moab and do a multiple shorter trips as well. There's a lot of technical crawling out of Moab but there's also a ton of overlanding style trails to explore. Natural bridges, ancient dinosaur tracks, and cave paintings can all be seen.

Escalante is nearby if you're into canyoneering, I've done some great backpacking down there as well.

Colorado or New Mexico would be a little closer to the middle though, admittedly.

Wayward Overland

Rank III
Founder 500

Off-Road Ranger I

Tampa, FL
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Redding
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4LXY
Got it. The Maze District out in Canyonlands is pretty epic, I'll throw a vote out for that. I've been twice and can't wait to get back again, there's just so much to see. You can basecamp in Moab and do a multiple shorter trips as well. There's a lot of technical crawling out of Moab but there's also a ton of overlanding style trails to explore. Natural bridges, ancient dinosaur tracks, and cave paintings can all be seen.

Escalante is nearby if you're into canyoneering, I've done some great backpacking down there as well.

Colorado or New Mexico would be a little closer to the middle though, admittedly.
That’s one trip we’re are thinking about. That’s definitely on our list. I did the dart at the map thing and found Big Bend in Texas and it’s equal for both of us. And, the wife and I will get to tick off another National Park. Depending on how much time I can get off of work, might hit Canyonlands anyway. My wife and I just did a Utah trip, we did the Mighty Five. That place is beautiful.

Reactions: Sparky