Rank II

Enthusiast I

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Rajiv
Last Name
Singh
Member #

Any suggestion for dispersed camping near the beach between Monterey to Bodega Bay. Most of the inland is closed or smoky due to the fire. Im in Vacaville and can head in any direction with a 3 hour range. Larsons Landing and few other spots are all booked. Thank you.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

There is really nothing around here, too much private land. If you can stealth camp you might find some rural road up by Pescadero. No overnight on Beachfront parking.

Reactions: VirajH2

static

Rank III

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Pruden
Member #

If you’re willing to go a bit farther, you could head up to King Range National Conservation Area. Maps estimate it’s about 4.5hrs from Vacaville.

I’ve not been personally, but it’s on my list. It’s BLM land so dispersed camping should be fine, and there are a number of FCFS campsites that look a bit tougher to get to (i.e. less likely to be occupied).

Be aware that all national forests in CA are currently closed to preserve resources for fighting wildfires, so they are not an option right now :(

Hope this helps…
Kris

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

2G4R

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Oakland, CA, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUC
2nd Kings Range. Used to live in cowtown, go thru napa take the 128 up to the 101 is a nice drive. Usal beach and Kings range are worth exploring. Also, east towards yosemite/ stanislaus there are cool spots

VirajH2

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Rajiv
Last Name
Singh
Member #

Hello All thank you so much for replying.. planning something this quick is a bit difficult on a long weekend where most of the places i would go to is closed or smoky. and my rig is not setup for recovery yet. So i saved the money and bought winch and cradle for it. Today will go in installing it. Tomorrow im planning to go Indian Valley Reservoir. All the destinations recommended around monterey and south is going into my Winter destinations spots. 1st week of Oct i want to do the Usal Beach. attached is few pics of Indian Valley res if anyone wants to check it out.

Attachments

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

Definitely not dispersed camping, but HipCamp is a good resource for access to private land. I have used it a few times with generally good results. You can almost always find something, even on short notice.

VirajH2

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Rajiv
Last Name
Singh
Member #

Thank you all for your reply. This is what we ended up doing. We started around 6pm from Vacaville and stayed the night at Cowboy Camp on Hwy16 Close to Hwy20 junction. Sunday Morning went to Indian Valley Reservoir via Bear Valley Rd and Brim Rd. The lake on North Side is dry dry and dry... Saw a few side by side and quads running the bed. i was able to take the hummer out on the bed. The Tacoma with me is 2wd and had a hard shell kayak at back so we turned around the 1st place it got stuck. We were still able to make it a long way in... Sunday evening came back to Vacaville. its a 2 hour ride from Vacaville. attaching few pics. We didn't want to play with it but right now its an awesome place to test out your recovery equipment... I want to order a Pull pal to use with my Winch and once i order/receive i will surely take it out there for a test...

Attachments

Reactions: RangerBill

static

Rank III

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Pruden
Member #

Thanks for sharing - it looks like a good time was had by all!

Kris

Thank you all for your reply. This is what we ended up doing. We started around 6pm from Vacaville and stayed the night at Cowboy Camp on Hwy16 Close to Hwy20 junction. Sunday Morning went to Indian Valley Reservoir via Bear Valley Rd and Brim Rd. The lake on North Side is dry dry and dry... Saw a few side by side and quads running the bed. i was able to take the hummer out on the bed. The Tacoma with me is 2wd and had a hard shell kayak at back so we turned around the 1st place it got stuck. We were still able to make it a long way in... Sunday evening came back to Vacaville. its a 2 hour ride from Vacaville. attaching few pics. We didn't want to play with it but right now its an awesome place to test out your recovery equipment... I want to order a Pull pal to use with my Winch and once i order/receive i will surely take it out there for a test...