Rank II

Contributor II

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
First Name
Alden
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Hey guys. Pretty new here. My name’s Alden and I work a boring desk job in dc but it lets me get out a lot. Been looking to see how to best explore the Mid-Atlantic Beaches and Appalachia.

Just finished my first I overnight in my new (to me) 2006 4Runner V8. (Amazing ride, btw).

Escaped dc on Friday afternoon. Took nearly 2 hours to get 55 miles to Sky Meadows state park but well worth it.

I made reservations for a primitive camp site online. I was the only reservation for that night. They had a welcome packet ready at the gate which included the gate code to the overnight parking area - turned out to be a field right next to the camp entrance.

Parked there. Got some cool hiking in up the cow pasture by the farm house. When darkness fell the park closed. Never set up the tent just crashed in the back of truck. No problems whatsoever. My camping partner and i were the only humans around for miles.

Great experience for a quick trip or a jumping off point to longer forays into the Shenandoah mountains!

11012 Edmonds Ln. Delaplane, VA 20144

Attachments

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Hey guys. Pretty new here. My name’s Alden and I work a boring desk job in dc but it lets me get out a lot. Been looking to see how to best explore the Mid-Atlantic Beaches and Appalachia.

Just finished my first I overnight in my new (to me) 2006 4Runner V8. (Amazing ride, btw).

Escaped dc on Friday afternoon. Took nearly 2 hours to get 55 miles to Sky Meadows state park but well worth it.

I made reservations for a primitive camp site online. I was the only reservation for that night. They had a welcome packet ready at the gate which included the gate code to the overnight parking area - turned out to be a field right next to the camp entrance.

Parked there. Got some cool hiking in up the cow pasture by the farm house. When darkness fell the park closed. Never set up the tent just crashed in the back of truck. No problems whatsoever. My camping partner and i were the only humans around for miles.

Great experience for a quick trip or a jumping off point to longer forays into the Shenandoah mountains!

Thanks for the trip report. I’ve never camped in Sky Meadows; I’ll add it to my list. Ever camp at Wolf Gap campground in GWNF? Two fun hikes from camp - Tibbet Knob and Big Schloss. There are also some boondocking sites off Crisman Hollow Road, with access to hikes like Duncan and Strickler Knobs. Note that this road often closes in winter due to snow/ice. Shenandoah is great too, just more crowded.

Alden_d68d90

Rank II

Contributor II

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
First Name
Alden
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Thanks for the trip report. I’ve never camped in Sky Meadows; I’ll add it to my list. Ever camp at Wolf Gap campground in GWNF? Two fun hikes from camp - Tibbet Knob and Big Schloss. There are also some boondocking sites off Crisman Hollow Road, with access to hikes like Duncan and Strickler Knobs. Note that this road often closes in winter due to snow/ice. Shenandoah is great too, just more crowded.
Thanks man! No. Never been. I’ll have to check it out. It seems like less crowded spots are fewer and further between on the east coast these days