Trip from Maryland to Bishop, CA July 2017

• HTML tutorial

Desertsand

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Alameda
Hello All,

Trying to plan a trip west and looking for some assitance. So far I have it mapped out until the Badlands National Park in South Dakota. From there its up in the air. We would like to explore around Moab but hear it pretty hot in July. Would it be best to stay north and see Yellowstone, or suck it up an travel though the Utah heat. Will be trying to hit as many national park as possible as well while camping in an RTT along the way.

Any input or recommended sites is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Raul B

Squaretyre

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Member #

Well if you do the Yellowstone thing let me know. Fantastic side routes (match anything in the park in my opinion) and more then welcome to camp a night here or use the shop. It all depends on your time schedual. Best of luck, lots to see.

Desertsand

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Alameda
Well if you do the Yellowstone thing let me know. Fantastic side routes (match anything in the park in my opinion) and more then welcome to camp a night here or use the shop. It all depends on your time schedual. Best of luck, lots to see.
Any particular routes you would recommend?

Cavo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Great Falls, VA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Richard
Member #

If you plan to be back many times, do it all in your comfort level. If you believe this is something rare, do everything you would want, regardless of temps. Life is too short.

Squaretyre

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Member #

Any particular routes you would recommend?
Absolutely, at min pass through Billings and say hi. Go through Red Lodge MT, take switchbacks and enter park through Cooke City MT. (NE) side of park. That drive alone rivals any in park. IMHO. If more time Morrison trail to Cooke City. Lots of options, happy to show you around or point out best fishing spots depends on your time frame.

Desertsand

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Alameda
If you plan to be back many times, do it all in your comfort level. If you believe this is something rare, do everything you would want, regardless of temps. Life is too short.

We we'll definitely be making a trip back to Utah etc. so no worries there.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Desertsand

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Alameda
Absolutely, at min pass through Billings and say hi. Go through Red Lodge MT, take switchbacks and enter park through Cooke City MT. (NE) side of park. That drive alone rivals any in park. IMHO. If more time Morrison trail to Cooke City. Lots of options, happy to show you around or point out best fishing spots depends on your time frame.
Sounds good. Definitely will try an schedule a meet.

I'll look up those place when I get a change. Plan right now is to head from the badlands then stop of in Cody for a night. From there on it is up in the air. Think o staying in the area 5-6 days, not sure if that's enough time.

Of the areas mentioned is there primitive camping available along the way or are they more of day trips?

Thanks for all of the advice!

Squaretyre

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Member #

Best camping on the planet, too remote for day trips. (I could be a bit bias ) from Cody, Look up Morrison Trail, which dumps out at (Top of the World). Just a gas station w limited supplies no one lives there. Drive to either Sawtooth lake and camp, excellent fishing, or take a day and go to Goose Lake. Both require solid 4x4 skills and vehicle to get to. Lockers nice but not mandatory unless snow. I was first one in to Goose last year. Full day bucking snow drifts. It was the 4th of July. I'll try to post pic.

Squaretyre

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Member #

My pride at being first in faded with the light. No cell service, heart of Grizzly territory, and no one around. Only solace was having tent on roof. One doesn't feel like there so much of a bear candy wrapper purched on top.

Reactions: JaimyMac630

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I sent you a pm about South Dakota areas and things to do.

Last edited:

Squaretyre

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Member #

If the south Dakota afore mentioned area covers the Black Hills, I'd sure be interested in those suggestions. Great area but never spent time off road there.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

The info I sent is all located in the Black Hills with the exception of the badlands, which is an hour away from them.

Reactions: Squaretyre

Squaretyre

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Member #

The info I sent is all located in the Black Hills with the exception of the badlands, which is an hour away from them.
Well should you ever have room for a straggler on one of your trips , keep me in mind. Not so far off, and I'd like to wheel the area sometime.

Reactions: Daniel Etter

Squaretyre

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Member #

Wow, heck of a trip! Looks like fun, please say hello if pass through Billings MT area

Desertsand

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Alameda
Wow, heck of a trip! Looks like fun, please say hello if pass through Billings MT area
Thanks, we definitely will give you a shout if we pass through. Current plan is to be in Yellowstone on the 4th!

Have you felt any of the Yellowstone earthquakes recently?