Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I was out at Hidden Falls off road park, outside of Austin TX last weekend. I was testing some new recovery gear, for a OB product review. I drove up on two new looking 4Runner TRD. One Off Road, the other a Pro (they told me). They both had snapped bits on the independent front end. They weren’t even on a hard trail. I don’t know the back story, only that the second vehicle broke, trying to help the first vehicle. There was a group of other Toyota vehicles with them, so everything seems in hand. I have never really trusted independent front ends. Too many bits to break. That’s why I love FJ80,60,etc… Love those solid axles! Independent front ends, are expensive to make strong, and provide little articulation.

For the OP use case, I still recommend the 4Runner. Their was no mention of technical terrain, that can stress the Independent front end of the 4Runner. For daily driving, the 4Runner is superior. For terrain like Moab, or fast desert runs, its great. Just not for moderately technical terrain (not asked for in the use case).

Paw

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redwood City
Member #

:joycat: but really, I'm sorry the Jeep was such a flop. Glad you have a nice 4R now though. :innocent:
Thanks, now I just have to get over Post purchase stress and start personalizing it to my needs, always found it much simpler to tear into a used vehicle instead of a brand new one. But hey I bought it for adventure not resale, right!! LOL

Reactions: Clint1911