Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

I've look all over, overland bound, YouTube, 4Runner forums and jeep forums. And I guess I'm just wanting some Direct feedback from actual owners who used these SUV's. My girlfriend is looking to get a new car and she is wanting something that is very capable and reliable. She will daily drive it but we will also use it for road trips/over landing, and trails. From what I have read and looked for the Pro and they are insanely hard to find.
To clear something up for me. The kssd Suspension is the independent front axil and has sway bar disconnects? The Toyota website wasn't very clear to me. Any info and help is greatly appreciated!

Fellow Jeeper

Rank V

Influencer II

Latrobe Pa
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bobincheck
I don't think you'll go wrong with either. I have a 2010 jkur. I love it but, one draw back it has limited space. Everyone will tell you that. But I pack for 4 people. Me my wife and 2 little girls. And we get it done. They have enough aftermarket stuff out there for anything you might need or think of for storage solutions. I have yet to hear anything bad about the new pentastar engines as far as reliability. The rest of the driveline is solid and proven. My mother in law has a new 4 runner but only had it for 6-8 months. As far as I know she likes it as well. As the other question I can't help sorry. Best of luck on your decision.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Clint1911

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

Here's a previous thread comparing the 4Runner and wrangler unlimited.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/4runner-vs-jeep-wrangler-unlimited.6764/

The KDSS system on the 4Runner utilizes a hydraulic system that controls the sway bars movement. It does not disconnect it, but controls its travel for on and off road. At low speeds it allows more suspension articulation. On road, it stiffens to prevent excess body roll during corners etc. From what I understand, the TRD Pro does not have the option to have KDSS at this time. The TRD Pro can be harder to find, especially in a specific color, but you dealership can track one down for you if another dealer has one. Hope that answers your question.

Also, I bought a 2017 4Runner TRD Offroad because i wanted cloth seats for my dogs. The TRD Pro comes with synthetic leather seats only. The main difference between the TRD Pro and the Offroad is the suspension and some cosmetic differences.

Last edited:

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I don't think there is much of a comparison between these two just because I have such a negative perception of the Jeep's engine. I have seen just among my friends 2 low milage rebuilds < 100K . I also find the space in the Jeep to be quite limited.

Reactions: OffroadTreks

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
The 3.6L engine in the 2012 to Current Jeep Wrangler is very dependable. The 3.8L engine that was in the 2007 to 2011 was the engine that had so many problems. Both vehicles are build tuff, with body on frame construction. They both have Solid axle rear ends. The idependent front end of the Toyota gives it a better ride on the road, but limits its slow off road ability (better on fast desert runs). The Jeep's solid exle front end is not as comfortable on the road, but has unmatched articulation, for better off road performance. I personally chose the Jeep, because I needed the aggressive off road ability. From OP description of his girlfriends needs, I think the Toyota would be better fit for her. She would probably find the improved on road ride more important, vs off road ability.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Toyota will probably be better all around. The Jeep has great aftermarket support, but it's a terrible on road vehicle. Seats are uncomfortable, the rear seat is even worse. Noisy, bumpy, rough ride. Combine that with terrible gas mileage, an anemic motor and limited space. What you have is "COOL" SUV you can take the doors and roof off. If you're into subpar COOL factor, get a Jeep. If practical utility and versatility are important, get the 4Runner.

Reactions: 3wbdriver

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

The 3.6L engine in the 2012 to Current Jeep Wrangler is very dependable. The 3.8L engine that was in the 2007 to 2011 was the engine that had so many problems. Both vehicles are build tuff, with body on frame construction. They both have Solid axle rear ends. The idependent front end of the Toyota gives it a better ride on the road, but limits its slow off road ability (better on fast desert runs). The Jeep's solid exle front end is not as comfortable on the road, but has unmatched articulation, for better off road performance. I personally chose the Jeep, because I needed the aggressive off road ability. From OP description of his girlfriends needs, I think the Toyota would be better fit for her. She would probably find the improved on road ride more important, vs off road ability.
Both failures that I witnessed 1st hand where the pentstar 3.6L Head failure for one, Rod failure for second... Is it better then the 3.8L without a doubt but when measuring against zero its easy to make an improvement.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Toyota will probably be better all around. The Jeep has great aftermarket support, but it's a terrible on road vehicle. Seats are uncomfortable, the rear seat is even worse. Noisy, bumpy, rough ride. Combine that with terrible gas mileage, an anemic motor and limited space. What you have is "COOL" SUV you can take the doors and roof off. If you're into subpar COOL factor, get a Jeep. If practical utility and versatility are important, get the 4Runner.
You have very strong negative feelings about Jeep Wranglers, how many have you owned?

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

You have very strong negative feelings about Jeep Wranglers, how many have you owned?
My perception (realize you weren't asking how many I've owned but figured I'd justify my answer). I also feel much of the same feelings about interior fit and finish have completed several 3,000 + trips in modern wranglers.
1943, 1946, 1980, 2001, .... pent stars where owned by friends I've learned my lesson J.E.E.P (Jeeps eventually empty pockets) :-). Nah all in all I like them thought the 4L was solid a pig but solid. Honestly I see in the future another jeep my negative feelings are mostly around the engines. I'd love if Jeep used the 3L diesel or 4.7L v8 I'd very likely own another one.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

My first was a 97 Sahara with 4.0L and a very brief stint with a '12 JKU in 2013 which was be our upgrade from the Trailblazer before we decided to go fulltime instead. I never built either one.

My brother owns a 2014 JKU and I spent a 5 hour drive in the back seat in Florida and found it uncomfortable.

I recently gave it another consideration here and I'm still thinking about it. (Probably turn into a can of worms, I can't build too rigs) I actually love Jeeps. But I'm a automotive enthusiast, so I tend to nit pick every brand. Just like the Defender is a big steaming pile, I love those too. I just don't think Jeeps are great road tripping vehicles. But that's not why you own a Jeep.

I owned a 1980 Corvette, and it was a steaming pile of slow and you'd feel every bump in the road. But I loved it. It was awesome. I just won't recommend it to anyone other than an enthusiast.

In my mind, I think of Jeeps the same way. Anyone asking about practical shouldn't buy one. Not why you buy a Jeep.

Makes sense in my head.

Reactions: britz and 1derer

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
My perception (realize you weren't asking how many I've owned but figured I'd justify my answer). I also feel much of the same feelings about interior fit and finish have completed several 3,000 + trips in modern wranglers.
1943, 1946, 1980, 2001, .... pent stars where owned by friends I've learned my lesson J.E.E.P (Jeeps eventually empty pockets) :-). Nah all in all I like them thought the 4L was solid a pig but solid. Honestly I see in the future another jeep my negative feelings are mostly around the engines. I'd love if Jeep used the 3L diesel or 4.7L v8 I'd very likely own another one.
I'm not disagreeing with most of your evaluation. Jeeps are much more oriented to trail, and have a host of on road compramises. We both agree, that our recommendation is the Toyota. I don't know if the impirical evidence supports your insurtion that the 3.6L has more problems then the
We both are recommending the Toyota for the OP. My research on engine warrenty claims on the 3.6 vs 4.0, are similer. Things get a little cloudy, when you look at long term reliability. You need to compensate for the facts that Jeep's tend to be upgraded, often without concerns to how this will effect the longevity of the engine. For example, I have a friend that run 37" tires, with stock 4.10 gears. He likes the driving characteristics, but he is putting the engine under much greater stress. His choice, not to invest in lower gears, may reduce longevity of his engine. These variables are make long term comparisons difficult.
My first was a 97 Sahara with 4.0L and a very brief stint with a '12 JKU in 2013 which was be our upgrade from the Trailblazer before we decided to go fulltime instead. I never built either one.

My brother owns a 2014 JKU and I spent a 5 hour drive in the back seat in Florida and found it uncomfortable.

I recently gave it another consideration here and I'm still thinking about it. (Probably turn into a can of worms, I can't build too rigs) I actually love Jeeps. But I'm a automotive enthusiast, so I tend to nit pick every brand. Just like the Defender is a big steaming pile, I love those too. I just don't think Jeeps are great road tripping vehicles. But that's not why you own a Jeep.

I owned a 1980 Corvette, and it was a steaming pile of slow and you'd feel every bump in the road. But I loved it. It was awesome. I just won't recommend it to anyone other than an enthusiast.

In my mind, I think of Jeeps the same way. Anyone asking about practical shouldn't buy one. Not why you buy a Jeep.

Makes sense in my head.
I Agree with everything you are saying about the Jeep not being a good road vehicle. This is also why I suggested to the OP, that the Toyota would be the best choice. Unless your use case includes extreme off roading, the jeep doesn't make sense. I like my uncomfortable seats, I can power wash them after getting back home. Jeep Wrangler compromises in many areas, to make a better off road vehicle. I put up with the poor ride on the highway, because my Jeep allows me to get to places no other vehicle (sold in North America) would allow me to go. If they ever sell the Toyota 70 series with the V8 Diesel in the US, I may never buy a jeep again. I'm going through the same process today, that the OP is going through. In my case, I need to add another vehicle for my wife. Since we already have the extreme off road vehicle, I need to add somthing better for everyday driving, that will be a part time overland vehicle (When the Jeep is staged south of the Darien Gap for a year of the crazy stuff). I'm working on how this choice will be evaluated now.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Yeah the 70 series is great as long as you are not tall! I know the crew cab has more space but the single cab is cramped for me at 5'11". Jeff, I really admire the time you put into your response. I also agree that my biases are mine and there is NO evidence that I am aware of to support my perceptions!

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Yeah the 70 series is great as long as you are not tall! I know the crew cab has more space but the single cab is cramped for me at 5'11". Jeff, I really admire the time you put into your response. I also agree that my biases are mine and there is NO evidence that I am aware of to support my perceptions!
I did not know about the issue for tall drivers. I'm 6'5", so this may be a problem for me. I had the same problem, driving a Defender 110 in Africa for an NGO. I could never find a comfortable driving position.

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
it is so simple... Do you need to put the top down and take the doors off? Then get the Jeep. The JKUs will ride the most jeep-like (duh!!) compared to all other 4WD SUVs and if you detest that, stay away. A lot of buyers get buyers remorse after realizing their Jeeps don't drive like a car. Sometimes i think when one cross-shops between a Jeep and a 4Runner or some other SUV, they will get disappointed with the Jeep.

Reliability on the Pentastar JKUs have been pretty good so far - -we haven't seen any high-miles yet... but let's be real a) there are a lot of jeeps out there, and b) a lot of jeepers like to go off-road, hard -- that tend to break stuff. But for trail runs, these Jeeps should be as reliable, even maybe more, than the more complex 4WDers out there.

Going back to the OP, I don't see anything in the OP that speaks Jeep so I think the 4Runner is a great choice.

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

Also, I bought a 2017 4Runner TRD Offroad because i wanted cloth seats for my dogs. The TRD Pro comes with leather seats only. The main difference between the TRD Pro and the Offroad is the suspension and some cosmetic differences.
Funny, I bought the Trail Premium with the faux leather for exactly the same reason. My 3 dogs can get the seats all wet and muddy and all I have to do is wipe them down with a damp cloth and things are sparkling clean again. :grin:

EDIT: this thread needs some more pictures:
SFW_0172.jpg
^ Lake Alpine, CA

Last edited:
Reactions: Clint1911

Clint1911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

Hey guys thank you for all of your feedback! I've owned two TJ's and I love Jeeps. You can't get much more American then a jeep. My last one that I just sold had 33's and lockers, roll cage it was a great off-road toy. But I did not like driving it on the road at all. Yesterday I went and test drove a 2016 jku rubicon. It was nice but for $47k something shouldn't have 5" of play in the steering wheel. I also drove a '16 SR5 Premium (didn't have and TRD's that I could drive). It was very nice. With plenty of storage room in the cargo area for the dog and gear. But we will be going back to let her drive them and see how she likes them both.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Hey guys thank you for all of your feedback! I've owned two TJ's and I love Jeeps. You can't get much more American then a jeep. My last one that I just sold had 33's and lockers, roll cage it was a great off-road toy. But I did not like driving it on the road at all. Yesterday I went and test drove a 2016 jku rubicon. It was nice but for $47k something shouldn't have 5" of play in the steering wheel. I also drove a '16 SR5 Premium (didn't have and TRD's that I could drive). It was very nice. With plenty of storage room in the cargo area for the dog and gear. But we will be going back to let her drive them and see how she likes them both.
Good luck, keep us in the loop, when you pull the triger on a new vehicle.

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
Fyi that steering play is all on the MT tires the rubicons come with. Drive one with the street oriented ATs (sahara) and what difference do the tires make in the steering/handling. It was the very first thing i noticed when i test drove them. I tried a sahara and rubicon and still ended up with the rubicon since i realized it was just the tires. I was all over the place driving it home LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paw

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redwood City
Member #

Comfort, get the 4runner, I have the 4runner pro, sold my last jeep (2011 JK Rubcon) will never buy one again, uncomfortable, thin sheet metal, head gasket needed replacing at 12,000 miles. I never felt in my gut that I could depend on it in the middle of nowhere, the only jeep of many I have owned that I would say that about. For climbing and maneuverability in tight steep places , crawling and the like get the jeep, for comfort, reliability and something that will get you almost everywhere get the 4runner. One post said they have leather seats, NOT true the 4runneer pro they are some type of synthetic that is easily cleaned. The jeep will fit in a dumpster for easy transport or disposal

Attachments

Last edited: