Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
Some YouTubers do great stories on the history or geology and the like and as I was driving around the last few weeks listening to the radio I thought I wonder if it would be possible to have a travelogue option to tell me stuff about the area I am currently in. I was thinking an audio blog style talk that could be downloaded before a trip and you could somehow have it latch onto the GPS and pop up with commentary maybe like driving apps say "Turn left at Main Street in 1/2 mile" it could say "The rock across the valley was laid down by massive floods thousands of tears ago - would you like a short talk on the geology?" Or "you are just 2 miles from the Bloggs Cabin - would you like to know more?". That stuff would be great to hear as you drive through it.

Maybe like a wikipedia tool that folks can leave contributions that get vetted and voted on with likes. And then as you drive the GPS can pop them up just needing a voice command to go, or tap a button to go. And voila, you have a wee travelogue by folks that have done the hard work of researching stuff.

Hodgespa

Rank IV
Investor

Explorer I

Marana, AZ, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Drown
Member #

There is an app out there similar to what you are asking for. On the Apple Store it is called "Autio - Travel Companion". It has audio stories and histories available based on the region you are driving through. Not sure if there is an Android version or equivalent though, but I imagine there would at least be something similar.

Reactions: SWLands