Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
10 years ago we purchased a Trasharoo. The bag lived on the tire of our garage queen which is used for about 14,000 miles of travels per year. So it endured about 3 months of full exposure to the elements per year. One of the seams near a strap up top has dry rotted . Bummer, I asked my wife if it was reparable using her machine? She replied, don’t be so damn cheap, get a new one. So after comparing the Trasharoo to the up and comers and comparing it to the CampCover brand. I bought another Trasharoo. Why? Well, for one; they redesigned the buckles and now it is very easy to cinch them up tight. For two; I know it will last a while. For three; whoa- that CampCover is almost 4 times the cost. I don’t need a bag that will last 35-40 years. 10 is good. My wife is right, I am a cheapskate!!

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I used to buy a new Trasharoo every year because they were on a rig that saw all weather all the time. they would be wet all winter and freeze, along with constant UV deterioration. By spring or mid summer they would just be falling apart. Our local FWD organization sold them and any profit went back to them so I didn't mind, but after about the 4th or 5thone I was done with them... not just replacing them but just having it hang off the bac in general. people would throw random shit in mine all the time like cigarette butts, dog shit, food scraps ..... I was done cleaning them out after trips ( guided runs with newbies.... I appreciate them not throwing it in the woods ... but a bag might be nice lol).

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I used to buy a new Trasharoo every year because they were on a rig that saw all weather all the time. they would be wet all winter and freeze, along with constant UV deterioration. By spring or mid summer they would just be falling apart. Our local FWD organization sold them and any profit went back to them so I didn't mind, but after about the 4th or 5thone I was done with them... not just replacing them but just having it hang off the bac in general. people would throw random shit in mine all the time like cigarette butts, dog shit, food scraps ..... I was done cleaning them out after trips ( guided runs with newbies.... I appreciate them not throwing it in the woods ... but a bag might be nice lol).
Wow, only a year? I did saturate mine every spring with UV and general weather repellent. And, we always used plastic garbage bags .

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Wow, only a year? I did saturate mine every spring with UV and general weather repellent. And, we always used plastic garbage bags .
I tried to use plastic bags but people either didn't look for the bag inside or I didn't get on in it in time. here is an old pic of my jeep from almost 10 years ago of the poor Jeep loadedup to capacity for a trip north for a few weeks lol.
IMG_20150913_165010719_HDR.jpg

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Trasharoos just do not seem to last, Current bag is a Last US Bag company one, WAY expensive but shows no sign of wear after a year of hard use. (Well the only issue I have is the finish on the little D rings they have for attaching extra stuff to the outside are rusting, we will see how they deal with it when we contact them, have been excellent on the other two issues we have had with different products. If not I will source some SS ones and replace them.) We carry very little trash as we reduce packaging prior to the trip have reusable containers for a lot of stuff, but in winter it carries my diesel heater and a small rotopax of diesel and still has room for once bundle of firewood and a bit of trash on top. It came with a flexible cutting board that Michelle will not use since it resides in a 'trash can' but I find handy to place on the tailgate table as a protector when I have my tools out. Really like the dual zippers that allow the front to fold down completely for cleaning or loading larger items and several pockets where I keep grubby stuff from not occupying the Jeep with us. Seems to be built out of a really durable material, time will tell. We do have a bike lock cable running thru the spare tire, bag and handles of the heater and diesel can to keep the honest people honest

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

I've been using an Oscar's Mobile Hideout spare tire bag for about 2 years and am happy with it.

Reactions: Corrie

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I went with the standard size because I have it hanging between the tail light and license plate. I was going through a Trashroo every other year or so with a previous setup. I imagine this material will hold up for a decade or more. Even better, it has a lifetime guarantee and an industry-leading warranty.

IMG_2390.jpg

Last edited:

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I bought my Trasharoo three years ago and chose the prefaded tan colored one. So far no signs of abnormal wear (or fading).

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Anyone figure out a good way to mount one of these on an SUV with a lift up rear cargo hatch?
I need a good answer to that question as well. I love everything about the current 4Runner, and keeping trash OUT of the vehicle is part of my whole system. I need to find a solution for that issue before I make my next step on new vehicle selection.

Reactions: MiamiC70

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

A possibility is a NashFabCo ladder for the back and the bag hung from the ladder, like I have now. I just worry about what the struts are capable of holding up.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

That's how much I hated the idea of trash being inside the vehicle. Plus, it also gave me a place to mount my 11 lb propane tank.

The next, even more expensive option is a swing-out so you have the spare on it from which to hang the bag.

KindaOffroad

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Vallejo, California, United States
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Lacson
Anyone figure out a good way to mount one of these on an SUV with a lift up rear cargo hatch?
I fitted the straps behind the door but it's not going to stay open when filled up since the gas struts aren't meant for the extra weight. I have also have mounted it on the rear ladder since it seems to prevent any glass damage.

Attachments