Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I'm working out details of traversing the TLH in August. I've done a bit of research into this and left with a few questions that I think others that have traversed can answer.

First comes cell service. I can locate the towers and find that LC, Churchill Falls, Happy Valley and Port Hope (and balance of coastline) will have service. Figure nothing in between. It is still claimed of no vehicle repair service between LC & Happy Valley, seems strange to me..
Also very curious if road communication is still using CB or changed over to GMRS. I'll have my GMRS, but thinking of setting up a CB if those are still being used.

Another would be I'm searching for a site that lists emergency frequencies so I can monitor as we travel. I do this as we explore back country in other places and would like to here as well.

I have marked out distances, campsites, gas stations, grocery and etc.. I know the only dirt left is on Rt 389 between Manic 5 & LC, with even there some being pavement.

If you've been and have knowledge of the TLH, please I'd like to chat!

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

We plan on travelling the TLH in July, then to Newfoundland. Will seek to update the thread once we have done so.
What are your tentative dates? If you go early month, you're ahead me. We're hoping for 3rd week July. All is predicated on how much I have completed with my new build.. I figure I have 7 weeks to complete and go..

Reactions: Bostongal62

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
What are your tentative dates? If you go early month, you're ahead me. We're hoping for 3rd week July. All is predicated on how much I have completed with my new build.. I figure I have 7 weeks to complete and go..
Current plan is July 11th (subject to change, our mileage may vary). A lot could change before then.

Reactions: Bostongal62

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Did the TLH 8 years ago, I guess that several things have changed since then. Was still partly pretty remote at that time and if I remember correctly more than half still gravel but supereasy to drive. I have about 1000km/ 600 miles range, so getting fuel was not a problem. Check out the two museums in Happy Valley Goosebay if they are still there. Especially the one located in the outfitter store is awesome. And if you have the chance and time to visit the hydroelectric plant in Churchill Falls, that's definitely an interesting stop as well.

A few impressions:

TLH_1.JPG

TLH_2.JPG

THL_3.JPG

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Looking forward to hearing a trip report. Heading to that part of Canada is on my bucketlist.

Youtuber Venture4wd did some videos of that area. Think it started with the link below

Reactions: RJ Howell

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

As most folks I spoken to they speak of driving up to Cartwright. Me, just not feeling it. Now I have found another that does spike my interest..

Has anyone been to the Lobstick Structure? Can't break into 54°N there but a short drive you can hit 53.9°N. That has my interest as it would be there furthest north for us. Interesting area and wish to lean more about it.

Anyone been?

Last edited:

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Looking forward to hearing a trip report. Heading to that part of Canada is on my bucketlist.

Youtuber Venture4wd did some videos of that area. Think it started with the link below
When he went the TLH wasn't fully paved, yet as he says, the gravel was fine. I saw his vid's and found most of his stops. I also will go down Rt138 in Quebec to reach the opposite end of that highway. Now that's a route I do wish Quebec would connect! To drive that entire coastline.. Ya Baby! I plan to drive to the end of Rt138 in Quebec from the south 'Routes des Baleines.

Reactions: wigsajumper