Rank III

Enthusiast I

Mesa, AZ, USA
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Fisher
Member #

We have a trailer that we just purchased and looking for security options for offroad trailers. Everything I've come across seems to be for none offeoad trailers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The picture shows the hitch thats on it.

Thanks you

Attachments

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
Can you pull the hitch and take it with you and then stick a locking pin in the hole?

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
We have a trailer that we just purchased and looking for security options for offroad trailers. Everything I've come across seems to be for none offeoad trailers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you
Just take the tires off. That would slow them down some. They tell me locking the hitch isn't very effective for a determined thief, They can just use the safety chains or other chain to tow it a ways. I use a tire boot thingy like dis:

I would maybe go for the more expensive ones if the lock is better. I have some that actually cover the wheel lugs so the can't just use your spare tire. My favorite is a well-hidden claymore. But, it's messy and wakes the neighbors.

LVOURWE

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Mesa, AZ, USA
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Fisher
Member #

Thanks you
Just take the tires off. That would slow them down some. They tell me locking the hitch isn't very effective for a determined thief, They can just use the safety chains or other chain to tow it a ways. I use a tire boot thingy like dis:

I would maybe go for the more expensive ones if the lock is better. I have some that actually cover the wheel lugs so the can't just use your spare tire. My favorite is a well-hidden claymore. But, it's messy and wakes the neighbors.
Thank you very much

JPOVS

Rank I

Contributor III

MN
I think about this often. Most people say get insurance. My problem is if it does get stolen, then there’s the possible 1 to 1.5 year wait for a new one to be built with these crazy lead times. Then there’s the time to build it out. That’s a lot of time without a trailer.
The only real security I have found is leaving it hooked up to the tow vehicle anytime it’s outside the garage.
I may consider buying a gps tracker for it at some point. Then I have the best of both worlds. Recovery of my trailer and revenge.