Launch Member

Advocate III

Glendora, CA, USA
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Diaz
Member #

I have a trailer that carries my gear and tent but sometimes I feel like it's a burden to pull. What do you guys think?

Was thinking of just setting up the roof to carry it all. Let me know what you think.

Roy

AnywhereInTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
C
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRDP535
I went the opposite route. I can't leave my tent and equipment in my truck so the time. The GF complains when I ask her to help put the tent on the rack. The trailer allows me to leave it all set up all the time, reducing packing time before a trip. Freeing up the weight on my rig once I setup base camp makes wheeling easier too.

RoyD@626

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Glendora, CA, USA
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Diaz
Member #

I went the opposite route. I can't leave my tent and equipment in my truck so the time. The GF complains when I ask her to help put the tent on the rack. The trailer allows me to leave it all set up all the time, reducing packing time before a trip. Freeing up the weight on my rig once I setup base camp makes wheeling easier too.
Good point. That's the nice thing about having one. Nice to have the option though. Thanks buddy.

Reactions: AnywhereInTX

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

While I’d love to have the option of having a trailer I’m not sure how often I would use it. That is strictly due to my needs and how and where I travel. Obviously others may find them absolutely essential based on their vehicles, route, duration, or just how they like to travel. Lots of pros and cons to both with or without bot a lot of it boils down to personal preference.

Reactions: RoyD@626 and Road

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I pulled a trailer for a few years, initially with just gear, then with a RTT on it. If you like base camping in one place, and doing day trips, a trailer is the way to go, IMO. I think I just got tired of setting up / taking down the RTT and Annex every time and told myself that if I kept using a trailer, I was going to at least switch to a teardrop to make things easier.. Then when I started pricing them, I realized I would have to spend more than it would cost to buy / build a 4x4 van. So rather than buy a trailer to pull with my Jeep, I bought a van and figured if I wanted to bring the Jeep, I could just flat tow it as the 'trailer'. :p

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

The best of both worlds is to be able to take your vehicle with or without the trailer and still go adventuring, depending on what you want to do and how you want to do it.

I absolutely love my trailer, though have my van set up so I can take it out without the trailer, too, or use it for sleeping when I have friends or family in camp who use the rooftop tent on the trailer.

Having a good, capable trailer greatly expands the potential of what I can do and where I can go. I tend to stay out for months at a time and like to set up base camp in a spot for weeks at a time. So, being prepared and equipped with clothing and gear for all kinds of environment, weather, and activities from desert to mountains to swamps and cities, having a trailer allows me to carry what I want and need.

When I set up a photography bunker or basecamp with the trailer, I can go off exploring in the van for a day or more and come back to a base camp that's all set, ready to use. Don't have to tear down every time I want to go somewhere. On the other hand, if a shorter adventure dictates I may be moving a lot more and not returning to the same spot at the end of the day, I can grab the van and go for as long as I want, too.

Both van and trailer stay packed pretty much all the time, ready to go. Just add water and food. Both van and trailer can be emptied out quickly and easily too, if I need one, the other, or both to haul cargo, help someone move, or for whatever other reason need them empty.

It's a fun challenge really, to see how multi-purpose, efficient, and easy to use I can make my whole setup.

In the long run, because I have a good trailer, I get out there more and for longer periods.

swissarmytrailer_8081-900.jpg
Couple weeks ago lake camping in the woods of New Hampshire.

vaninterior-181127_7050-900.jpg
Most recent van interior set up. It stays like this most of the time when in camp, though often has the middle lane packed, too, when rolling.

maderabunker_1827-900.jpg
Photography base camp on the Mexican border, West Texas this past spring. I stayed in this same spot for a month.

packeduprolling_0577-blkd-900.jpeg
Packed up and rolling.

Last edited:

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

It all depends on where you like or want to go, what kind of trails you want to do. We have a teardrop camper and love the easy of going out because Mose everything is packed ready to go. All we really need to do is pack food and water and a few other thing. When we get home in a few hours everything is cleaned up, when laundry is done it is packed back into the camper. We really like that. But on the down side there are times when we don't do a trail because of the camper. There are places we want to go that I know the trailer can handle but do we want the headaches that can come with it. Like switchback, or coming head on with another vehicle on a shelf road. We have had that happen in Colorado and we had to backup over 1/2 mile because the other guy was in a full size truck four door with 8' bed. I would want that to happen when pulling a trailer.

We like that we can base camp and leave the trailer and go out in the Jeep for day trips. But you are alway wondering if the trailer will be okay. When we tent camped we didn't have a problem leaving the tent. We would only leave stuff in camp we didn't mind losing. I also enjoy photography and the teardrop is great for that ofer a RTT. We can have camp setup eat dinner and then head out to a spot to get sunset photos or star shots and get back to camp and everything is still setup. Same with early mornings we can get out before sunrise get to good spot and get back to make breakfast.

For us it will be with and without a trailer. We are spoiled sleeping in the teardrop that I'm not sure if I want to do a ground tent again.

Todd

Reactions: 9Mike2 and RoyD@626

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

As I'm not a "camper" per se but a journeyer, having a trailer to set up a campsite like in the pictures above is beyond my interests. I *never* stay in a place more than an evening so having a trailer is pointless to me. I have a camping van which is, mostly, self contained (porta-potti and Waterport shower) and my LX. If I'm exploring local and regional places alone, I'll take the LX and sleep in back. If I'm going further afield, I take take the van for its additional comforts and ability to park anywhere for an evening. Point is, I pull in, level, and I'm pretty much done for the night. Gone in the morning.

Trailers are for guys that camp and need to have a lot of stuff. I travel like my backpacking days - minimally. But, I'm a traveler, not a camper. Overnight camping is simply how I have to stay to do my journeying.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
The best of both worlds is to be able to take your vehicle with or without the trailer and still go adventuring, depending on what you want to do and how you want to do it.
exactly. we have a modified tear drop we take sometimes and some times we just want to go fast and lean and tent out of the back of the tundra. we can go a week easy living out of one tote and an ice chest. its good to have options because one thing never fits all situations.

the little camper is nice because we've been driving between locations and its 10-11pm and i'm tired so we pull into a rest area and hop in the camp trailer and asleep in 5 minutes. hard sides and doors that lock, so its quick and safe and good in all weather with ZERO set up. traveling with a female, anything that keeps her from fussing is worth its weight in gold!!

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Yes! We actually have 3-4 different ways we like to camp, and change it up often! I would have kept the trailer, but my biggest issue was space, and I really wanted to get a van (and keep the Jeep). So after playing with the trailer for 6-7 years, it just wasn't getting used enough to justify the space it occupied.

As for ways we camp, prior to the van we had three main styles of camping we enjoyed:

Big ground tent - With cots, chairs, tables, standing room, and the kitchen sink, we use big tents when we're base camping in a remote area for more than a couple days.. Our biggest tent only goes up for 7+ day trips, but it's 3 rooms (with a screened porch) and is more like a cabin.
Hammocks - Yeah, we both absolutely love them and like to do very light trips, which is when we each get one Action Packer and it must contain everything for us, individually (except water). We pack our own food and all, separately. I love this method because it's the least work for me! lol. The only thing I do for her on those trips is set up / adjust her hammock and quilts (she's still learning).
Small ground tent - We usually always take a 2 man backpacking tent with us, just in case. We don't need any additional bedding or anything since we can use whatever we brought for the hammocks / tent.
Trailer / RTT - This was our medium-mobility set-up (2-3 days in a spot, or more, but still moving sites during the trip)

Now, we have essentially replaced the last one with the Van.. And have the option of dragging the Jeep along too, particularly until I do the 4x4 conversion on the van.

In addition, I also sometimes just do tarp camping (sleep on the ground, usually in a bivvy, under one of my hammock tarps). That's mainly the move when hammock camping but are staying in a spot without good trees.

I like changing it up and keeping it interesting! In fact, last year during our annual SW CO trip, I camped three different ways! The first few nights I was in a big tent with the wife, then a buddy and I took off for a couple days solo to do some harder trails, and the first night I used the hammock, and the second spot didn't have good trees, so I used the little 2 man tent..

4 Sites, three methods, same trip:

IMG_20180722_062839.jpgIMG_20180724_105836.jpgIMG_20180727_070024.jpgIMG_20180728_095003.jpg

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Yes! We actually have 3-4 different ways we like to camp, and change it up often! I would have kept the trailer, but my biggest issue was space, and I really wanted to get a van (and keep the Jeep). So after playing with the trailer for 6-7 years, it just wasn't getting used enough to justify the space it occupied.

As for ways we camp, prior to the van we had three main styles of camping we enjoyed:

Big ground tent - With cots, chairs, tables, standing room, and the kitchen sink, we use big tents when we're base camping in a remote area for more than a couple days.. Our biggest tent only goes up for 7+ day trips, but it's 3 rooms (with a screened porch) and is more like a cabin.
Hammocks - Yeah, we both absolutely love them and like to do very light trips, which is when we each get one Action Packer and it must contain everything for us, individually (except water). We pack our own food and all, separately. I love this method because it's the least work for me! lol. The only thing I do for her on those trips is set up / adjust her hammock and quilts (she's still learning).
Small ground tent - We usually always take a 2 man backpacking tent with us, just in case. We don't need any additional bedding or anything since we can use whatever we brought for the hammocks / tent.
Trailer / RTT - This was our medium-mobility set-up (2-3 days in a spot, or more, but still moving sites during the trip)

Now, we have essentially replaced the last one with the Van.. And have the option of dragging the Jeep along too, particularly until I do the 4x4 conversion on the van.

In addition, I also sometimes just do tarp camping (sleep on the ground, usually in a bivvy, under one of my hammock tarps). That's mainly the move when hammock camping but are staying in a spot without good trees.

I like changing it up and keeping it interesting! In fact, last year during our annual SW CO trip, I camped three different ways! The first few nights I was in a big tent with the wife, then a buddy and I took off for a couple days solo to do some harder trails, and the first night I used the hammock, and the second spot didn't have good trees, so I used the little 2 man tent..

4 Sites, three methods, same trip:

View attachment 111709
Holy ginger beards!!!

I remember back when mine was red, now days I make sure I shave well before Christmas. HO HO HO

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
If you camp often and like to base camp a trailer is the way to go. Even a tub trailer with all of your gear. As others have mentioned it makes getting out of town again easy. My trailer is always ready to go less food, clothes, and water. Hook up and go. If the weather sucks I just crawl inside. I’m a teardrop guy now and love it.

Haminacan

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia City, Indiana
First Name
First
Last Name
Lastname
Member #

For me it would kind of depend on what kind of trails. I have many times had to back down a trail that just ended or had a road block with no turn around while exploring the unknown. Have fun backing a short trailer down a tight winding trail.

Reactions: RoyD@626

RoyD@626

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Glendora, CA, USA
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Diaz
Member #

It all depends on where you like or want to go, what kind of trails you want to do. We have a teardrop camper and love the easy of going out because Mose everything is packed ready to go. All we really need to do is pack food and water and a few other thing. When we get home in a few hours everything is cleaned up, when laundry is done it is packed back into the camper. We really like that. But on the down side there are times when we don't do a trail because of the camper. There are places we want to go that I know the trailer can handle but do we want the headaches that can come with it. Like switchback, or coming head on with another vehicle on a shelf road. We have had that happen in Colorado and we had to backup over 1/2 mile because the other guy was in a full size truck four door with 8' bed. I would want that to happen when pulling a trailer.

We like that we can base camp and leave the trailer and go out in the Jeep for day trips. But you are alway wondering if the trailer will be okay. When we tent camped we didn't have a problem leaving the tent. We would only leave stuff in camp we didn't mind losing. I also enjoy photography and the teardrop is great for that ofer a RTT. We can have camp setup eat dinner and then head out to a spot to get sunset photos or star shots and get back to camp and everything is still setup. Same with early mornings we can get out before sunrise get to good spot and get back to make breakfast.

For us it will be with and without a trailer. We are spoiled sleeping in the teardrop that I'm not sure if I want to do a ground tent again.

Todd
Great info Todd. What you wrote is exactly where I was going with this post. I love the convenience of my trailer but I feel like I can't, or I'm a little nervous, to hit some trails. Location plays a big role in this as well like you said. I was use to hitting some rocky trails but moving towards more open areas.

I'm still torn if I should sell my trailer but for now, it's a stay. Thanks!

RoyD@626

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Glendora, CA, USA
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Diaz
Member #

This is my little trailer when it came home and after I worked on it. Nothing fancy but it works.

Attachments

RoyD@626

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Glendora, CA, USA
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Diaz
Member #

I absolutely love my trailer, though have my van set up so I can take it out without the trailer, too, or use it for sleeping when I have friends or family in camp who use the rooftop tent on the trailer.

Having a good, capable trailer greatly expands the potential of what I can do and where I can go. I tend to stay out for months at a time and like to set up base camp in a spot for weeks at a time. So, being prepared and equipped with clothing and gear for all kinds of environment, weather, and activities from desert to mountains to swamps and cities, having a trailer allows me to carry what I want and need.

When I set up a photography bunker or basecamp with the trailer, I can go off exploring in the van for a day or more and come back to a base camp that's all set, ready to use. Don't have to tear down every time I want to go somewhere. On the other hand, if a shorter adventure dictates I may be moving a lot more and not returning to the same spot at the end of the day, I can grab the van and go for as long as I want, too.

Both van and trailer stay packed pretty much all the time, ready to go. Just add water and food. Both van and trailer can be emptied out quickly and easily too, if I need one, the other, or both to haul cargo, help someone move, or for whatever other reason need them empty.

It's a fun challenge really, to see how multi-purpose, efficient, and easy to use I can make my whole setup.

In the long run, because I have a good trailer, I get out there more and for longer periods.

View attachment 111671
Couple weeks ago lake camping in the woods of New Hampshire.

View attachment 111676
Most recent van interior set up. It stays like this most of the time when in camp, though often has the middle lane packed, too, when rolling.

View attachment 111677
Photography base camp on the Mexican border, West Texas this past spring. I stayed in this same spot for a month.

View attachment 111678
Packed up and rolling.

Awesome setup!

Reactions: Road