South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Retired LEO here. Having seen the less-than-savory side of humanity FAR too many times, I carry daily. My camp load out in this arena is a Sig 320 X-Carry with hi-capacity magazine and Streamlight TLR. As someone stated earlier- I, too, normally carry concealed, but at camp- I open carry. More than a few times, when encountering sketchy people, a quick look at my firearm and my "Take no bull$hit" stare has made them re-think their nefarious intentions and turn the other way. Sincerely, its happened enough to where I genuinely wonder how often people are robbed while out enjoying nature. I mean, if I'm experiencing this...as a former tac guy...how many hikers/campers are seeing this stuff play out? We live in an absurd point in human history.
Just heard a story from parent of young folks on a camping trip in N.C. They went for a hike and came back and everything was stolen. Tent, cookware, etc. Wonder if any insurance for theft on the trail?
I don't leave my rig much and have the ability to lock up most everything but always wondered if a silhouette with a couple of head shoots and center mass holes placed conspicuously might help when no ones around?

Last edited:

bumbleruck

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denver, CO
First Name
David
Last Name
M
Just heard a story from parent of young folks on a camping trip in N.C. They went for a hike and came back and everything was stolen. Tent, cookware, etc. Wonder if any insurance for theft on the trail?
I don't leave my rig much and have the ability to lock up most everything but always wondered if a silhouette with a couple of head shouts and center mass holes placed conspicuously might help when no ones around?
I'm always on the fence about this. Area I grew up in was rife with burglaries with lots of stolen guns. The knowledge of a firearm in the area could be just much tantalizing as it might be intimidating to the opportunistic sticky-handed fellow.

Last edited:
Reactions: FishinCrzy

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I don't leave my rig much and have the ability to lock up most everything but always wondered if a silhouette with a couple of head shouts and center mass holes placed conspicuously might help when no ones around?
I dont mean to be crass about this story - it really sucks all their stuff is gone - but...what the?!

Were I speaking to them now I would say: "You left all your stuff outside, left the area and were surprised it was gone when you got back?!

"I see...and how many times have you stepped in front of a moving bus expecting to be unharmed, exactly? Touch the third rail of the MBTA often, do you?"

I've lived in a big city and I've lived in dairy country. I've locked my house and car doors in both. I find it charming when I'm at a place where nobody locks thier doors. It makes me feel happy in a place like that. I've just not been a victim of theft for lack of locking things up...Leave someone at camp, or pack it up. Or be willing to take a loss. Thats all the rer is to it. Sure, someone could break into your truck, but make them have to work for it at least, jeeze!

The idea of leaving shot targets around is kind of fun. Kind of like cleaning your shotgun at the dining room table when your daughter's first date comes to pick her up - all the while never even mentioning the 12 gauge, just having a nice conversation, complimenting the boy on his intelligence, and reminding him to have her home by 10.

Defiant Offroad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia / Florida
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Force
Member #

I always have a firearm and spare magazine on my person, camping/offroading, or otherwise. I've read some of the stories from you guys' experience (skipping several pages of "educate yourself" posts and pseudo-philosophical mumbo-jumbo), and respect each of you that have taken steps (and carry the mindset) to defend yourself, your families, and your property. I have considerable first-hand experience with violent encounters, both armed and unarmed, and the legal consequences of them (from the perspective of Virginia law). All I really care to say on that subject is that some of the stuff that's been said by a couple of people in this thread is dubious, at best.
As for tales from the campsite, I have only one that's kinda/sorta sketchy (really more entertaining), and it's not nearly as interesting as the others in this thread. I was out, roughly near McAfee Knob in western VA, when a rather "hippyish" looking fellow (probably an AT through-hiker) popped out of the woods near where I was set up, and started talking to me about my "breathing". Being genuinely entertained by him, I decided to inquire as to what he meant. He then went on an approximately 5 minute extremely detailed rant about how our body temperatures were rising because of global warming, and that we needed to learn new techniques for breathing, to help us better regulate our body temperatures so that we don't overheat. After a few minutes of this, I said "Ok, well that's good information to know. I'll work on that. Thanks, buddy!" and he wandered back off into the woods, in the general direction of the AT. My girlfriend at the time was sitting there with a "What the F..." look on her face, and I just looked at her and said "Ya got all that?".
He didn't leave me feeling concerned or threatened at all, and despite obviously being out of his gourd, really only seemed concerned for our well-being. However, as a result of the encounter, I no longer set up camp near hiking trails.
A camping trip will usually involve also bringing along my rifle, in addition to my pistol. I also bring spare magazines for both, not so much for some sort of "Heat" style Hollywood shootout in the woods, but because a significant amount of weapon malfunctions tend to be magazine-related. I also bring along a couple of quality knives, and plenty of lighting. If practicable, I try to position my vehicle where the engine block is directly between the entrance to my tent, and the entrance to the campsite.
Beyond that, I just try to relax and have a good time. :blush:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I don't leave my rig much and have the ability to lock up most everything but always wondered if a silhouette with a couple of head shoots and center mass holes placed conspicuously might help when no ones around?
On our recent “big trip” where we left camp a bunch we left a thin blue line flag flying. Mostly because we honor LEOs but also thought it might cause someone to have second thoughts.

Reactions: OTH Overland

Selectivelynoncompliant

Rank III

Enthusiast III

KS, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Harrod
Member #

I have never had an issue, knock on wood, I was always taught to never trust anyone, That’s a real shame but it is the time we live in. I pretty much travel with what I need for the most part compliant with local laws.

Reactions: Ubiety

Defiant Offroad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia / Florida
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Force
Member #

The problem is the vast majority of people don't wear them properly. They wear them far too low and too loose. They should be as high on your thigh as you can practically get it while still clearing gear. Most people are better served if they need to clear equipment by a "duty drop" holster. It still attaches to the belt but the belt slide mount is extended lower than normal.
This is absolutely true. At work I'm frequently correcting this deficiency on the range. Some guys seem to think the lower, the cooler. It ain't meant to be a knee holster, bro.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Multiple weapons with extra ammo. I do have a CCP and normally conceal carry.
I am very disappointed that reciprocity on my CCP is not nationwide.
I wouldnt mind seeing nationwide reciprocity. A marriage is good in all states. A driver's license is good in all states. And driving is not a Constitutional right. Problem is, there seems to be no minimum standard with regards to training and licensing I guess they'd have to come up with that first. For the last 25 years or so, I have been aware the with a licence in a relatively small number of key states, one can legally carry in most states. It's just a lot of work if you dont travel nationwide routinely.

Reactions: Ubiety

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

On our recent “big trip” where we left camp a bunch we left a thin blue line flag flying. Mostly because we honor LEOs but also thought it might cause someone to have second thoughts.
Not a bad idea. Unfortunately, these days, it seems someone might be as likely as not to be "offended" by your thin blue line and cause you grief BECAUSE of it...IBecause of all the recent upheaval, the town I work in just outlawed the thin blue line flag representations on our fire trucks, ambulances, and even from inside the captain's office...ONE person might get offended. Cant have that...go figure

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I have never had an issue, knock on wood, I was always taught to never trust anyone, That’s a real shame but it is the time we live in. I pretty much travel with what I need for the most part compliant with local laws.
I'm not even sure "it's the time we live in." I grew up in the 70's and 80's and was having that drilled into my head even then. I think the more careful you are, the less likely you are to get hung up. Unfortunately, a person can be careless but unknowingly lucky for a long time, leading to false sense that nothing would happen.

The good thing is that the rere really are good people out there too

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Not a bad idea. Unfortunately, these days, it seems someone might be as likely as not to be "offended" by your thin blue line and cause you grief BECAUSE of it...IBecause of all the recent upheaval, the town I work in just outlawed the thin blue line flag representations on our fire trucks, ambulances, and even from inside the captain's office...ONE person might get offended. Cant have that...go figure
This was so far out in the hinterlands of Nevada on tough tracks that we felt pretty confident anyone who saw it would be happy or civil enough to pass on by. Always left at least one rig in camp to make it look occupied. But, very unfortunately, you make a good point :(

PeteCole

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Carmichael, CA, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Cole
Member #

I am wondering, what percentage of us carry weapons out on the trail for security reasons? Has anyone experienced or heard of any negative incidents happening? I assume for the most part Overlanding individuals, the conservation minded, scenic route takers that we are. Are wonderful people!
I recommend carrying everyday....trails or not....

Travkat

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

San Marcos, CA, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Sevilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6KTR
I am wondering, what percentage of us carry weapons out on the trail for security reasons? Has anyone experienced or heard of any negative incidents happening? I assume for the most part Overlanding individuals, the conservation minded, scenic route takers that we are. Are wonderful people!
I usually bring at minimum a 9mm on trips outdoors etc. If anyone is interested in firearms I volunteer with the San Diego County Gun Owners association as a mentor instructor. Hit me up if you are in the area and have a new shooter that needs a coach or check their website for event information. Really nice people who want to bring more people into the shooting sports and responsible use of firearms for self protection.

Also, if anyone is carrying out there, make sure you are getting good defensive use of force training. It could save your life and the lives of others.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I have never needed or carried a gun camping. East coast.
I carry a .40 in Griz country.

Reactions: Bama_Kiwi