Rank V

Explorer I

Burlington County, NJ, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mez
Member #

Trail/Dirt Road Ratings? Similar to whitewater classes I would like to suggest the same for the ratings of trails/dirt roads members in overlanding seeking to encounter with their vehicles. An option would be to have the choice appear in the "bio" with the ability to find others who are interested in the same class by using the "Search Profile Posts".

A criteria would need to be established for each class. A volunteer regional recon group or individual (similar to the Appalachian Trail Ridge Runners) who would rate and subsequently inspect which trails/dirt roads fit the class criteria.

I believe that the class rating feature would be a useful tool to match a member to a class rating of overlanding to aid with identifying the challenges the members are willing to pursue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mongolia Overland

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Joe, This is an interesting idea. A concern I have, is that some of us have 37+ years of driving serious 4 Wheel vehicles. My 88 62 series LandCruiser has over 310K miles on it. Our 78 40 series had over 120K driver miles on it. A Trail/Dirt road that is passable for a vehicle that's 6' wide, is far more difficult for a Full Size Suburban. So a trail that some of us might rate as a 3.5 could quickly become a 5.0 for someone not equipped to travel. Any trail/Dirt road is passible at 1 mile per hour, with the tires aired down. I have a dirt road here in Idaho, that has blown several tires. I got that County to post warnings of Speed and Sharp Rocks. So that's my two cents. An Eagle Scout will view a route, much differently than a tenderfoot. David

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Trail/Dirt Road Ratings? Similar to whitewater classes I would like to suggest the same for the ratings of trails/dirt roads members in overlanding seeking to encounter with their vehicles. An option would be to have the choice appear in the "bio" with the ability to find others who are interested in the same class by using the "Search Profile Posts".

A criteria would need to be established for each class. A volunteer regional recon group or individual (similar to the Appalachian Trail Ridge Runners) who would rate and subsequently inspect which trails/dirt roads fit the class criteria.

I believe that the class rating feature would be a useful tool to match a member to a class rating of overlanding to aid with identifying the challenges the members are willing to pursue.
Trail ratings are already being implemented into the Beta of the Expedition Tier. If you’re part of the beta team you can see the trail ratings when you click on the trail icon you wish to view.

The trail rating system is similar to the Mountain Biking trail system markings.

Reactions: TSO_NJ