Launch Member

Contributor III

Berwyn, IL, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Harrold
Member #

Hello community. My name is Thomas. I have a stock 2017 Toyota 4Runner that I bought just over a year ago. My intensions are to slowly get it in shape to do more than mall crawling. For the time being, it is still stock (I would like to replace the running boards with sliders as a first move, but at this point it would be purely aesthetic). I'm In the Chicago area and am planning a trip to Utah (near Salt Lake) in the next week or so. I don't really have a timeline, as my industry is still closed, but I'm thinking about 2 to 3 weeks round trip. I plan to "car camp" the whole way (embarrassed to say Overland in a stock rig) and I was hoping someone might have advice about a good route to take with some good camping and hiking along the way. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reactions: Kent R and Big G

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Hello community. My name is Thomas. I have a stock 2017 Toyota 4Runner that I bought just over a year ago. My intensions are to slowly get it in shape to do more than mall crawling. For the time being, it is still stock (I would like to replace the running boards with sliders as a first move, but at this point it would be purely aesthetic). I'm In the Chicago area and am planning a trip to Utah (near Salt Lake) in the next week or so. I don't really have a timeline, as my industry is still closed, but I'm thinking about 2 to 3 weeks round trip. I plan to "car camp" the whole way (embarrassed to say Overland in a stock rig) and I was hoping someone might have advice about a good route to take with some good camping and hiking along the way. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Hello Thomas, welcome to the OB community. Let me first say you have no reason to be embarrassed about overlanding in a stock rig. There are lots of people who do that. It sounds like you are feeling the need to do a lot of mods to your rig before you're a real overlander, and that' just not true. Go out and have fun and do the mods as necessity, time, and money dictate. I don't know your experience level nor what kind of overlanding you have in mind, so I"m curious if sliders are the first mod you need to do or if there might be something more prudent early on. Anyway, glad to have you be a part of OB, and, as far as routes for upcoming trip, I don't have any suggestions but there are those who just might.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

You should be more proud to Overland a stock rig than having a Instagram ready fully outfitted “overland built” With RTT ,awnings and a fully built “kitchen “ that spends more time to display their newest titanium spork and led light setup proudly displayed in a blacktop parking spot At a local KOA ( nothing wrong with KOA just making a point ) Than they probably spent exploring that day .

Get out and explore doesn’t matter what you drive just have some basic recovery gear , food and shelter and let someone know where your planning on going .

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

Welcome to the community!

My '19 4Runner is still relatively stock and will remain that way until I see a need to upgrade a particular component. I'm not a rock crawler, I am an explorer and camper so stock works very well for my needs. Now granted, I do have a TRD Pro which came with a Fox suspension and more aggressive AT's but it has handled itself very well on the trails that I've taken it out on. You've got a very capable rig right from the factory. And as they say, it doesn't matter what you drive. Just load up and get out!

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

To give you a idea Of what you actually need to explore I had a 1988 Camry that for about 4 years was my go to camping /fishing /backpacking ride mostly because I knew I could leave it for a couple days at a trail head and it would be there when I got back . Now I mostly just used it on trips so I’m that time I put about 35k miles on it and I would say 15-20 of that was forest service roads , yes there was times I had to turn around and change plans because I knew it wouldn’t make it where I was trying to go but it never stopped me from getting outside and exploring new places . I’ve had some built rigs and some fast rigs but honestly I have some of the best memories being out in something stock or almost stock because once you start down the modifications track one leads to another that leads to another and so on . Especially when your starting out you have to find out what works for you and where you travel . A rig set up to run the desert may find itself struggling in a mud filled Tightly filled deep forest And vise versa .
Take some small trips close to home and take notes of what works for you and what you don’t need , know when to turn around , and have fun .

If you do feel the need to do some mods And these should be the first on everybody’s list start with protection , nothing can ruin your fun faster than say a stick finding its way up Between the trans crossmember and the side of your trans shattering two sensors Connectors and not letting you get out of second gear , or poking a hole in a oil pan ( really I wouldn’t suggest it , not fun at all)

And tread lightly , pick up other people’s trash and help anybody you come across if you can .

tavvavmem

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Berwyn, IL, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Harrold
Member #

Hello Thomas, welcome to the OB community. Let me first say you have no reason to be embarrassed about overlanding in a stock rig. There are lots of people who do that. It sounds like you are feeling the need to do a lot of mods to your rig before you're a real overlander, and that' just not true. Go out and have fun and do the mods as necessity, time, and money dictate. I don't know your experience level nor what kind of overlanding you have in mind, so I"m curious if sliders are the first mod you need to do or if there might be something more prudent early on. Anyway, glad to have you be a part of OB, and, as far as routes for upcoming trip, I don't have any suggestions but there are those who just might.
Thanks Big G for the welcome and the advice. I put a lot of time into figuring out what I was going to drive (I was over seas for a number of years and came back to no car), I love my truck and have no plans to overbuild it. I'm going to let need dictate the expense. The only reason that I want to start with sliders is that I don't like the look of the running boards or how much they lower the clearance. I just though that at around $600 bucks it might be a good start for me.

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

I started overlanding throughout the SW in a Hyundai, so trust me when I say you should be proud of where you start. Your stock 4runner will be more than enough. My rig is pretty loaded, and I will be the first to admit that you don’t “need” most of it. For me, I wanted the experience of researching products, learning how to do a build and experiencing the challenge of the project first hand - but truth be told my wife’s Subaru Outback is damn near as good as my rig on long journeys. It’s not a competition, it’s just about getting out there, my friend. Welcome aboard.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Thanks Big G for the welcome and the advice. I put a lot of time into figuring out what I was going to drive (I was over seas for a number of years and came back to no car), I love my truck and have no plans to overbuild it. I'm going to let need dictate the expense. The only reason that I want to start with sliders is that I don't like the look of the running boards or how much they lower the clearance. I just though that at around $600 bucks it might be a good start for me.
Sounds like good thinking. Share a pic when you get your sliders.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Welcome Thomas, I got a stock 4Runner Trail with just AT tires and recently sliders, and I was able to go everywhere I wanted so far. It's a great truck!

Sierraman

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast II

San Jose, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Pauley
Member #

Hey there my good man, I did many years in my stock vehicle and drove all around the United States in it. I've been to more than 30 national parks and only paid for campsites a couple of times. I would suggest freecampsites.net you can get an application for your phone or you can go to their website. It has a routing option as well. Have fun!

Reactions: tavvavmem

tavvavmem

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Berwyn, IL, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Harrold
Member #

Hey there my good man, I did many years in my stock vehicle and drove all around the United States in it. I've been to more than 30 national parks and only paid for campsites a couple of times. I would suggest freecampsites.net you can get an application for your phone or you can go to their website. It has a routing option as well. Have fun!
Thank you!

LanderGoat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Glendale, CA, USA
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Arteaga
Member #

I saved up all my pennies and finally decided to set up my old cruiser, but really all these people are correct! It’s all about having fun, getting out there and enjoy the out doors

Reactions: Brett L.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Welcome to Overland Bound Thoma.
When you go to Utah two good contacts are @A-Aron and @Knitron, both are Utah Member Representatives and can give you lots of advise.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
FYI, All Overland Expo shows have been cancelled this year. Due to Covid 19 concerns.
You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Mike W. The closest Member Representatives to you for local information are @geekhouse23 @Ohio Valley Overland
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
http://www.midwestoverlandfest.com/

Reactions: tavvavmem

tavvavmem

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Berwyn, IL, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Harrold
Member #

Welcome to Overland Bound Thoma.
When you go to Utah two good contacts are @A-Aron and @Knitron, both are Utah Member Representatives and can give you lots of advise.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
FYI, All Overland Expo shows have been cancelled this year. Due to Covid 19 concerns.
You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Mike W. The closest Member Representatives to you for local information are @geekhouse23 @Ohio Valley Overland
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
http://www.midwestoverlandfest.com/
Thank you for all the helpful information. :)