• HTML tutorial

Thenorthremembers

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Modesto,Ca
Member #

Hi everyone,
I've a 2002 Xterra and building a roadside tool kit. Im planning on using a roll and want suggestions on tools like wrench or socket sizes for common roadside repairs. Also anything like spare parts (fuse/headlights, etc) that I should pack. This rig is new to me and I haven't torn in to it yet so im not sure of it's quirks or tools that I'd reach for a lot. TIA

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I also have a tool role. I downsized from a larger toolbox to free up some more space. I have a few different styles of pliers, different flat and phillips head screwdrivers, torx drivers, and a mix of sockets and socket wrenches. I have yet to need a tool that I didn't have in the rig (yet), but I am beginning to weed out the tools I won't need. Best advice I can give you is to start off with a lot and work your way down like I am. Can never go wrong with a couple pairs of pliers, assortment of screwdrivers, and a full socket set.

Funmobile

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yuba City
Member #

Excluding spares, my tool bag carries the following, which is specific to my rig (metric):
3/8 socket set with universal, wobble, extensions and ratchet
Plug socket
Combo wrenches
Needle nose pliers with wire cutters
Vice grips
Channel locks
2 crescent wrenches
1/2 breaker bar with 3/8 adapter
Nylon hammer
3/8 tox bit set
Assorted Phillips and flathead screwdrivers
Dental pick
Small magnet
Shop rags
Small tube of hand cleaner
Zip ties of various sizes
Electrical
Tape
RTV silicone
Dialectic grease
Blue loctite

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

^ this is almost exactly what I carry (except the Loctite, didn't think of that but its going in now) for hand tools.

ShyTRex

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Moscow Mills
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Rice
Member #

I've been thinking about what I want to include in my kit a lot recently. What is everyone else using in addition to the great list above?

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
@Funmobile nailed it.

My kit for all my vehicles starts with:
Crescent wrench
combination wrenches (22pc set from harbor freight is like $15 and work for roadside repairs)
3/8 and 1/4 drive sockets (on holders from harbor cut as small as needed)
Multiple sets of pliers, needlenose, standard, wire cutter, and vice grips
Channel locks
screwdriver with bits
solid phillips and flathead
Gorilla tape
Zip ties
WD40
oil
brake fluid

My pickup has a torque wrench and sockets for the lugs, as I can't get them tight enough with a crossbar usually. If I'm going on a trip I put that in whatever vehicle I'm taking. I want to build these kits up with good craftsman, kobalt, or similar tools eventually, but having 3 vehicles and a pop up camper with the same kits makes it expensive. Harbor freight, Stanley, Black & Decker or Tool Shop tools do the job for quick repairs, and give me some peace of mind for the time being. Habitat Re-stores are a great place to find cheap good hand tools too if you're patient.

I also carry a few things on me, like a bandanna, paracord, leatherman, a tiny screwdriver, and a knife or 3, that I don't include in the kits.

This also doesn't include the survival bag that usually resides in all the cars with the bare essentials if I get stranded.

I fit all that stuff (aside from fluids) in a small portable DVD player bag we were going to throw away.

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Also, a decent crescent wrench or ratchet makes a great roadside hammer... I like dual purpose things, even if they weren't designed that way.

HKLover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ohio/Tenn
First Name
John
Last Name
Shanower
Member #

Wire strippers/crimpers and some basic spade connectors and butt splice for electrical repairs. Maybe a test light or volt meter.

Since I have a Jeep, I have a lot of 3/8" drive allen in both metric and standard and torx bits.

A magnetic tool tray.

Two tapered half inch diameter lining pins with an angled pry end on each, both about 16" long.