Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
So, for some time now I'd just been loading whatever tools I though I'd need into a canvas tool bag, but I got tired of that and wanted to have a dedicated set of tools for my truck/trailer. I went relatively cheap and bought the 3-bag bundle from Official Tool Roll and so far have only filled up 2 rolls.

Inside one roll are hex bits, drivers, allen key sets, and 1/4" drive sockets and ratchets, SAE and metric, with a flex-head 1/4" drive ratchet.
Inside the other roll are combination wrenches, 3/8" and 1/2" sockets and ratchets, zip ties, snips, and wire stripper/crimper.

The bulk of the tools came from this kit from Lowe's - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-299-Piece-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set/5012928097 - which isn't a bad deal at all.

In the Decked drawer with the tools rolls I also have a DVOM with amp clamp, duct tape, ratchet straps, tire plug kit, bottle jack, and portable air compressor, along with some non-tool stuff.

Inside the trailer is a box with spare bearings (already packed and sealed in a ziplock bag), axle seal, brass drifts, and hammer.

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Just posted a video of my Blue Ridge Overland Gear tool bag yesterday…tried to specialize it for my Ram 2500.

What Tools Do You Need for Your Ram 2500 Power Wagon? (Blue Ridge Overland Gear Tool Bag Review)
Hi Jason, Thanks for posting and also creating the video, do you know we are inviting OB members to create a thread for their vehicle in the new Overland Tool section of the forum, maybe you could create a thread for the Ram owners and get your video more views also, a win win for everyone!!!

Reactions: Uberland

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Hi Rex, Thats excellent to hear and you must be very happy right now? Have a great weekend Best wishes Amanda. PS hope to see you out on the trail and hopefully we dont need the bag !

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eastern Shore of Maryland
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

Hi Matthew, Thanks for sharing, I am happy to hear you like the Blue Ridge Overland Gear, I am also going to Overland Expo East 2022 in October and was thinking of visting them at their factory and having a tour, If this happens I will post some photos, for many years since I discovered them via you tube, I thought it would be nice to own some of their products to support Made in the USA. Best wishes Amanda
You're coming a long way for the Expo, that's awesome! It's only like a 3 hour drive for me, coming from the Washington D.C. area. I know a lot of the people who drive from afar like to spend a few days exploring the area before/after expo. Are you doing that? I'm pretty familiar with the area so if you want I can private message you some awesome dispersed campsites in VA.

Hogman

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Everett, WA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Balsley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRHS363
If you followed some lists, you'd need a second rig just to carry all the tools.

I think he left out lathe and 5 axis CNC machine, and possibly the rubber plantation to make new tires, does the guy eat tools for sustenance?

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I think he left out lathe and 5 axis CNC machine, and possibly the rubber plantation to make new tires, does the guy eat tools for sustenance?
I was absolutely taken aback that he omitted an oscilloscope for diagnosing electrical gremlins and a signal analyzer for properly pointing his cell phone booster antenna.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I'll bet he don't have the gazumbas to wrench off a bolt/nut that requires a 3/4" socket. You'd need a 8' helper bar for those. LMAO
Zim
Yup. I used a 3/4” impact to change fuel truck tires in the Air Force. Did it once by hand for the experience.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Yup. I used a 3/4” impact to change fuel truck tires in the Air Force. Did it once by hand for the experience.
Changed more than a few semi truck tires on the side of the road in my years, defiantly do not miss those days, Carry some 3/4" stuff in the diesel pusher, but that has on board air and an impact gun, so fairly spoiled and too cheap to take it in and pay for repairs.lol

Reactions: Sparksalot

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I love my Blue Ridge tool bag, have had many different bags in the past, but find the form factor of the Blue ridge to be perfect fit in my rigs, holds tons of tools, they are easy to find and its a slim profile that fits into a cubby or drawer system well. Just got a second one to replace the old bag in my second vehicle and looking forward to sorting out the old kit and moving to the new bag. Does anyone weigh their kits to see how much extra poundage you are dragging around? Do you carry the bare minimum or bring the snap on chest on your adventures?