Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I just sold my chainsaw. I grew up with them, used them for years building bridges, the past 10 years for firewood but they are dangerous, I am 65, I really don't need one.

IF you want one, buy ALL the safety gear too AND take SEVERAL chainsaw safety courses, there is likely no tool more dangerous to the operator. Think farmer jacks, think guns, without proper training I'd put a chainsaw as more dangerous.

Take a chainsaw operators course every year... think of it like pedal pushers. The guys in the industry do it every year...
do you think you are better than them?

And if yer overlanding and you see a sign... "LOGGER SPORTS DAY" STOP

Last edited:
Reactions: DoggMan1163

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

OVERLANDING IS CULTURAL RIGHT.......
THERE IS NOTHING MORE NORTH AMERICAN THAN......
LOGGER SPORTS DAY !!!

DoggMan1163

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Big Sandy, TX, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Beard
Member #

I have been DEEP into National Forest, along narrow ridge lines, and come across many situations like this:

View attachment 94991

So, I wonder what I would have done if that tree was not already handled by someone. In fact, there have been situations where I have had to turn around, but it hasn't been on a very narrow section so I was ok. I am often pulling my XVenture XV-3 trailer, so if I come up on a down tree, on a narrow pass, that is not going to be a pleasant situation.

What do you all do to combat the situation of fallen trees? Silky Saw? Chainsaw? Turn Around?
When I am out I always have a chain saw with me for that situation I have a firm belief that if its blocking the way and don't belong remove it especial if it's a fire road and always keep it in mind to cut wide enough to get a fire truck through if necessary the time you spend remove it could save a life or a home but please just don't cut trees that are not blocking the road just to get to some off road objective it could cost you more than your time

Reactions: DanW

DoggMan1163

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Big Sandy, TX, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Beard
Member #

I debated for a long time about getting a chainsaw. In the end, I decided the cons were far outweighing the pros, and instead I got one of these bad boys:
View attachment 95141
Light weight, easy to carry, stows easily and takes up little space, runs on elbow grease, guaranteed never to kickback on you, and much harder (but not impossible) to hurt yourself with. If you do hurt yourself, much less likely to be fatal or crippling. The Bahco is top notch and cuts through branches like a hot knife through butter. Between this thing and my axe, I figure I can cut through all but the biggest trees that may block the way.
I have one as well I don't use it anymore do to getting my arm tore off at the elbow (didn't loose it but still not 100% so I opted to use chain saw when needed

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I just sold my chainsaw. I grew up with them, used them for years building bridges, the past 10 years for firewood but they are dangerous, I am 65, I really don't need one.

IF you want one, buy ALL the safety gear too AND take SEVERAL chainsaw safety courses, there is likely no tool more dangerous to the operator. Think farmer jacks, think guns, without proper training I'd put a chainsaw as more dangerous.

Take a chainsaw operators course every year... think of it like pedal pushers. The guys in the industry do it every year...
do you think you are better than them?

And if yer overlanding and you see a sign... "LOGGER SPORTS DAY" STOP
Saw chaps and tennis shoes, maybe he needs that annual refresher

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

When I am out I always have a chain saw with me for that situation I have a firm belief that if its blocking the way and don't belong remove it especial if it's a fire road and always keep it in mind to cut wide enough to get a fire truck through if necessary the time you spend remove it could save a life or a home but please just don't cut trees that are not blocking the road just to get to some off road objective it could cost you more than your time
100% agree. This goes with leaving it better than you found it. By all means clear out the tracks and fsr's, but don't go cutting trees that don't need to be cut.

There's a local 4wd club that has the management of several rec sites, so they often cut danger trees that are standing dead, but that's a special case where they have permission as well as the proper equipment and people. It's definitely not something to do solo many hundreds of kms away from help.