Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

Tuckered Out Traveling? Does it happen? Am I weird? Exhausted Overlander wants to hear from you.
I never thought this would happen, but it must be true. Who talks about this, anyway?
Well, I have been in it for 30 years, and whew, tuckered.
I am exhausted link.

Reactions: Matang

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
7 to 9 days and I need to stop for 2 or 3 and base camp. For me that is generally a quiet lake somewhere, set up camp and "decompress". These days I do not do a lot of long haul but I have to go to Dawson Creek BC (750 miles) on family stuff this spring so it will be a long slow roll home.

Reactions: Tommys

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I’ll admit, after doing this for 25 years of going out six weeks at a time, notching half dozen thousand miles or so and living in our equipment, it’s usually time to head home. This summer we are planning 8 weeks out, for what may be our final hurrah. We’ve been eyeing a small airstream for almost as long. Now that would be luxury.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I don’t think I will ever tire of the adventure and exposure to new places and people. But I will admit it becomes tiresome to fight crowds, have to plan ahead months in advance etc. folks out west are fortunate in having the open spaces but traveling east of the Mississippi is a much different story.

But then the same thing happened to my pinot noir after Sideways, my bourbon and damn it, now my scotch! Popularity creates weariness amongst the first movers.

pluton

Rank IV

Member I

Santa Monica, CA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
BBB
Member #

I'm tired of loading all the gear into the daily driver. I'm tired of driving on the Interstates. In general, while I crave being in a new and interesting/beautiful place, the actual travel to get there is of little interest.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
sounds normal to me. i absolutely love cheesecake, but if i ate it everyday for a month, id get tired of it. doesnt mean i wouldnt be interested in it again later...

the wife and i go from tired-to-tired and i guess you could say that 'exhaustion' is the goal. we stay at home until we are tired of that and then go travel until we are tired of that. we travel until we're exhausted of it and that way we maxed out on everything and got our money's worth...we return home grateful for the experience we just had and grateful for a nice home to come back to. then after a while, we get tired of the nice house and the cycle continues...

i think the trick is to reach 'exhaustion', but not to linger in it too long and to always have options

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
sounds normal to me. i absolutely love cheesecake, but if i ate it everyday for a month, id get tired of it. doesnt mean i wouldnt be interested in it again later...

the wife and i go from tired-to-tired and i guess you could say that 'exhaustion' is the goal. we stay at home until we are tired of that and then go travel until we are tired of that. we travel until we're exhausted of it and that way we maxed out on everything and got our money's worth...we return home grateful for the experience we just had and grateful for a nice home to come back to. then after a while, we get tired of the nice house and the cycle continues...

i think the trick is to reach 'exhaustion', but not to linger in it too long and to always have options
Well said! (although I can say I have never met a cheesecake that I have not liked, and that may actually be the ultimate test of achieving burn out to see how much time it takes to be tired of something, Hang on while I get my fork.) Our adventures, while are never planned or scheduled, always involve pushing the line of exhaustion. Left unchecked I would be on the move almost constantly trying to find what is around the next corner, Michelle's would be more relaxed, no need to push it we will get there eventually. After over 20 years we have developed a formula that works for both of us to maximize the adventure while keeping just short of 'hitting the cheesecake wall" so to speak. We just cant wait to reach the point where we can do this with out time constraints of having to work for a living.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Ha! I like the cheesecake analogy; make it pie and you’ve got a deal.
I find that the run up to travel is rather tedious - planning, booking, and especially packing. I use a packing list to reduce stress and start a week or two ahead, intermittently dropping things in and crossing them off. Heck, I just bought laundry detergent for my late June departure, as it was a really good buy. But when I actually get rolling, the excitement builds and I start looking forward to the fun times ahead. Then even the long, LONG 5-6 days of driving/towing 2500+ miles to the western states is somewhat bearable. When I’m boots on the ground at my first destination, every day holds the promise of a new adventure. IMO, packing up and moving camp every day can be tiring, which is why I prefer having a base camp for multiple days. It’s been said many times before, but factor in down days to relax, do laundry, eat in a restaurant, visit a museum, read a book in your hammock, socialize, anything other than bumping down a rough, dusty road for 6 hours to a dry camp. I’d even go so far as to suggest booking a different type of trip once in a while, such as a guided group excursion or cruise, to have a different experience. There are some inexpensive cruises to Alaska, maybe go to Italy and Greece, see the Galápagos Islands. Let someone else do the difficult planning. Yeah, it’s not overlanding, but maybe there’s such a thing as too much pie. (Oh, blasphemy!!)

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Ha! I like the cheesecake analogy; make it pie and you’ve got a deal.
I find that the run up to travel is rather tedious - planning, booking, and especially packing. I use a packing list to reduce stress and start a week or two ahead, intermittently dropping things in and crossing them off. Heck, I just bought laundry detergent for my late June departure, as it was a really good buy. But when I actually get rolling, the excitement builds and I start looking forward to the fun times ahead. Then even the long, LONG 5-6 days of driving/towing 2500+ miles to the western states is somewhat bearable. When I’m boots on the ground at my first destination, every day holds the promise of a new adventure. IMO, packing up and moving camp every day can be tiring, which is why I prefer having a base camp for multiple days. It’s been said many times before, but factor in down days to relax, do laundry, eat in a restaurant, visit a museum, read a book in your hammock, socialize, anything other than bumping down a rough, dusty road for 6 hours to a dry camp. I’d even go so far as to suggest booking a different type of trip once in a while, such as a guided group excursion or cruise, to have a different experience. There are some inexpensive cruises to Alaska, maybe go to Italy and Greece, see the Galápagos Islands. Let someone else do the difficult planning. Yeah, it’s not overlanding, but maybe there’s such a thing as too much pie. (Oh, blasphemy!!)
We have found the highway travel time a welcome part of the trip If we have a long haul, we will leave at midnight or close to it, and that way we get out of our own state long before the sun comes up and quickly feel that we are on an adventure. We are always on the look out for the 'biggest ball of twine' roadside attractions and take time for some geocaching along the way. We keep the rig fully loaded except for clothes and food, and do little to no planning other than picking a likely destination so we go spur of the moment. Not having reservations give much leeway into revising your route, or even the final destination while under way. Bad weather, unexpected closures and off we go in a different direction without stress of having to cancel reservations etc. Occasionally that may leave us overnighting in unusual places but all part of the experience. With that said there are a few exceptions to our spontaneous trips, such as when travelling with others or when going to a specific location that requires advance permits or reservations, and then the engineer in me gets to come out and create spreadsheets.. lol

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

This is a great thread with some good feedback! I like your take @grubworm. With the goal of maintaining options, it really frees up yourself to not stress over the next day or the next thing.
On one of our trips, we got so tired of fighting the cold and waking up with frost in the tent that we decide to abandon our next two days of mountain plans and drive to the beach where it was warm and grab a hotel. A built-in budget for conveniences helped there.

Being content in the moment and doing what you actually want to do is also key to staving off exhaustion. I think much of this forum and myself, especially, get exhausted trying to be a 'real' overlander, outdoorsman, hiker, etc. when sometimes, as @MOAK said, that enclosed airstream looks really nice. Although I love vehicle-based exploration, sometimes I really love AC, hot showers, shelter from cold, wind, rain, and a drink with a view. It'd be exhausting to deprive myself of one of those for the sake of trying to be an image that I don't see in the mirror.

Plus, it always helps to have something to want to come home to. Whether it's a home, family, friends, climate, hobbies, etc. I

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

True! While I’m a “real” hiker, I don’t consider myself a “real” overlander. Sleeping in comfort, regular showers and peace of mind stave off the tiredness and temptation to pull up stakes and flee home. I like my girlie teardrop trailer and cosy bed. Find what works for you and do it, damn the haters and full steam ahead.

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

7 to 9 days and I need to stop for 2 or 3 and base camp. For me that is generally a quiet lake somewhere, set up camp and "decompress". These days I do not do a lot of long haul but I have to go to Dawson Creek BC (750 miles) on family stuff this spring so it will be a long slow roll home.
Yup! I hear ya

Reactions: rgallant

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I think "too much of a good thing" is always a real risk. I haven't run into this with Overlanding, but I did run into it with some of my other hobbies. I do a lot of and duning, and Glamis is our Meca. I had a couple seasons in a row where I had over 90 nights in Glamis in the season (Oct-Mar), one was over 120. It lost a bit of its specialness, and almost became "work." Variety and moderation are key in all things.

-TJ

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I keep reading this thread but I'm 100% I don't understand it.
How is it possible to get tired of something if you have the choice to just stop doing it? Why don't you just stop it then?
Enlighten me please

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
How is it possible to get tired of something if you have the choice to just stop doing it? Why don't you just stop it then?
Enlighten me please
its an american thing called "overindulgence". like when i go to an all you can eat buffet and even though my gut hurts and im exhausted from eating...ill still grab a clean plate and go back up 'one last time' and then bitch all the way home how full i am.
its what we do :grinning:

• Haha
Reactions: rgallant and MazeVX

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Enlighten me please
Often we get caught up in things, and become somewhat a slave to our hobbies. I let it happen with racing cars when I was much younger. I started with AutoX which is generally informal, and at least with the group I mostly ran with lighthearted. Once I got into "real" track stuff, it became more and more serious, and my group of friends I raced with slowly dwindled because of that, or other life reasons (marriage, kids, career...). One day I realized it had lost most of its fun, other than a few highlights on-track the weekends ended up just feeling like a lot of work, and I was doing it "alone." I realized I had felt that way for awhile, but for some reason felt overly compelled to keep doing it. For me car clubs, racing, etc. were (and still are in some ways) a big part of my identity, so I think I subconsciously had myself convinced that I almost "had to" keep doing it. As I mentioned before, I let the same happen with big RVs and sand rails and the "Glamis life." Overall, that's why Overlanding has been such a welcome thing to me. I truly enjoy the simplicity and relaxation... but even this I'm sure I can push too far.

-TJ

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Enlighten me please
Several years ago, my wife & I were out in the southwest for about 7 weeks. I was newly retired and we had no timeline. Temps were dipping into the low to mid teens nearly every night. We bounced around quite a bit, starting at Big Bend, GILA NF, then Canyonlands, down into what is now bears ears, backpacked the painted desert, back up to Mexican Hat, Then up into Grand Staircase. We had found a very remote campsite there and after 4 nights I woke up one morning and said- enough, it’s time to head home. We were tired, tired of traveling, tired of the cold, and tired of pitching a tent every few days onto rocky frozen ground. We headed home.

We torture ourselves in this manner every year, sometimes twice a year. I don’t understand it either. No one really understands any addiction, let alone ours and our need to be alone, together, in some of the great wilderness areas of North America living outdoors, sleeping under the stars with nary a sound from anything or anyone. Our torture will begin again in April with yet another albeit, short trip. When we tire of camping on the ocean, we will head home and finalize our plans and preparations for a long 8 week trip this summer. I don’t understand it. I don’t know if I want to understand it.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Enlighten me please
I think is just the sheer size of the wild parts of the country for North Americans. For example I am in Vancouver British Columbia, I planned a pre covid trip to the Arctic ocean, total distance to be covered 7821 Km or about 4860 miles round trip over 20 to 24 days. Most of that with marginal cell service, and averaging no more than 7 hours a day at 45mph / 70kph. I planned 1 down day every 6 days simply to give myself a break. that is a lot driving every day.

I should note you can do it faster but then you are just driving hiway at speed constantly -that is kind of pointless to me.

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

I’ll admit, after doing this for 25 years of going out six weeks at a time, notching half dozen thousand miles or so and living in our equipment, it’s usually time to head home. This summer we are planning 8 weeks out, for what may be our final hurrah. We’ve been eyeing a small airstream for almost as long. Now that would be luxury.
Indeed!

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

I think "too much of a good thing" is always a real risk. I haven't run into this with Overlanding, but I did run into it with some of my other hobbies. I do a lot of and duning, and Glamis is our Meca. I had a couple seasons in a row where I had over 90 nights in Glamis in the season (Oct-Mar), one was over 120. It lost a bit of its specialness, and almost became "work." Variety and moderation are key in all things.

-TJ
Placed in the mind to rethink, thank you.

Reactions: tjZ06