Traveler I

Wheatland, WY
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at new tires for my GC. I am taking a hard look at hybrid off-road tires. Does anyone run the Atturo XT? I don't need aggressive, but I do want a tire that performs well both on and off-road. The Atturo looks like it would be good in both situations.

Please let me know what you like about a tire.

Thanks

Paul

Reactions: Russell Peters

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Nope sorry.

My full size overland vehicle has Goodyear DuraTracs. Very capable offroad, loud on the road.

My F150 has Toyo Open Countrys. I don’t go offroad with it but they are great on dry/wet/snowy roads.

The Expedition Overland team uses General Grabbers. I’d like to try those next.

James

Francis84

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Opelika, Alabama
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Huber
We had DuraTracs on our truck (F150 FX4) and did not think they were loud at all. Our current tires are Firestone Destination. These have more road noise, but it is tolerable. If we didnt find the Firestone's at a great price we would have gone with the DuraTracs.20180802_153119.jpeg

Reactions: 307 Expedition

Francis84

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Opelika, Alabama
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Huber
We run 40psi as well. One of the reasons we would have gotten the DT's was that they were quiet, but you can't pass up a good deal (less than $800) on 4 tires.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I have 265/65/17 Goodyear DuraTracs on my Colorado, they are the quietest off road style tire I have owned. The sound level changes with the surface, asphalt is good, concrete is a bit more noise.

bawesomfels

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Phoenix, AZ
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ockenfels
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I have Duratracs on my Frontier. They're loader than the Falkens I used to have but not to a fault. They're a very capable tire and I would recommend them to anyone.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I have general grabber X3 and I'm really happy with them. They are not really loud on the road with the right pressure and perform well on every terrain so far.
About roadnoise... Just a little bit radio and you barely notice them on highway speed.

evomike

Rank III

Advocate II

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at new tires for my GC. I am taking a hard look at hybrid off-road tires. Does anyone run the Atturo XT? I don't need aggressive, but I do want a tire that performs well both on and off-road. The Atturo looks like it would be good in both situations.

Please let me know what you like about a tire.

Thanks

Paul
I had atturo m/t's on my last rover and current rover and have put a bunch of miles on them and they have worn nicer than the set of cooper stt pros that i had and work great in anything i have thrown at them, I am considering a set of the XT's for my wifes evoque

307 Expedition

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Wheatland, WY
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I had atturo m/t's on my last rover and current rover and have put a bunch of miles on them and they have worn nicer than the set of cooper stt pros that i had and work great in anything i have thrown at them, I am considering a set of the XT's for my wifes evoque
Nice. Thanks for the info. I know there is a class 8 baja truck that uses them. I was thinking about getting the MT for our Wrangler when we need new tires. It is mainly used off-road. I think the XT will work great for an overland vehicle.

evomike

Rank III

Advocate II

Nice. Thanks for the info. I know there is a class 8 baja truck that uses them. I was thinking about getting the MT for our Wrangler when we need new tires. It is mainly used off-road. I think the XT will work great for an overland vehicle.
completely agree and i think you will be super happy with them, I don't think you can beat them especially for the price. I get tires at cost since i have a shop and i can buy 2 sets for what my coopers cost.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

If you are into the atturo xt, then look at the mickey Thompson Baja atz. There is a tire comparison between some of the "hybrids" the nitto ridge grappler and toyo open country r/t and the others some classified the grabber X3 also as hybrid but I'm not sure about this...

Hybrid comparison

307 Expedition

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Wheatland, WY
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Adams
Member #

We had DuraTracs on our truck (F150 FX4) and did not think they were loud at all. Our current tires are Firestone Destination. These have more road noise, but it is tolerable. If we didnt find the Firestone's at a great price we would have gone with the DuraTracs.View attachment 71532
I have thought about the Firestone tires. Some nice looking tread. How are they holding up?

307 Expedition

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Wheatland, WY
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Adams
Member #

If you are into the atturo xt, then look at the mickey Thompson Baja atz. There is a tire comparison between some of the "hybrids" the nitto ridge grappler and toyo open country r/t and the others some classified the grabber X3 also as hybrid but I'm not sure about this...

Hybrid comparison

That is a good video. One of the reasons I’m looking at the Atturo. I’ll take a look at the Mickey’s.

Francis84

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Opelika, Alabama
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Huber
I have thought about the Firestone tires. Some nice looking tread. How are they holding up?
I drive 2 miles one way to work, so they are holding doing well. When we do get on the highway, they do make noise. If you listen to music you it won't bother you. I got them from walmart.com when they were on roleback. Not sure what the price is now.

Mike Gentile

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Duluth, GA, USA
Member #

I got Nitto Terra Grapplers on my 05 Tacoma, got them in 2015 drove cross country, dry, wet, snow, sand, mud and Ive never had an issue also there pretty quit on pavement. Probably should be getting new rubber in the next few months and not sure if I'm going to stay with Nitto or try something new.

307 Expedition

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Wheatland, WY
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I got Nitto Terra Grapplers on my 05 Tacoma, got them in 2015 drove cross country, dry, wet, snow, sand, mud and Ive never had an issue also there pretty quit on pavement. Probably should be getting new rubber in the next few months and not sure if I'm going to stay with Nitto or try something new.
Nice. I have thought about Nitto. My debate now is do I want to lift another inch or 2 and get bigger tires or just stay where I'm at and just replace the junk tires, Pathfinder Sport S AT. Not a fan. They are good on the road. Off-road I think they are terrible. Glad they were in the GC when I bought it. Makes me feel better that I did not buy them.

Mike Gentile

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Duluth, GA, USA
Member #

Nice. I have thought about Nitto. My debate now is do I want to lift another inch or 2 and get bigger tires or just stay where I'm at and just replace the junk tires, Pathfinder Sport S AT. Not a fan. They are good on the road. Off-road I think they are terrible. Glad they were in the GC when I bought it. Makes me feel better that I did not buy them.
Ain't that the big question! haha I'm running 33's and I get over everything just fine anything bigger starts to get pricy

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
On my cherokee kl I chose the duratracs but I have a different experience than everyone else it seems. I originally chose the tire because it was a hybrid style. Halfway between a mud terrain and an all terrain. But I have had no luck with the sidewalls. Very weak sidewalls . I believe the ones I have are p rated. On road noise is noticeable. But bearable. It doesn’t interrupt conversation. Offroad they are very grippy. My jeep gets daily driven. it sees 1 hour or so of Offroad trails every two to three weeks when I get the itch.

They self clean dirt and mud very well. Around 15 miles an hour and mud goes flying. They do hold onto small pebbles.

In snow they handle very well. Nothing so far has stopped me in the snow with all wheel drive.

If I had to do it again I would go with a different tire.

If you would like to get the duratracs and expect those tires to see a lot of rocks. I would recommend the LT version. I believe the p rated has 4 ply sidewalls. The LT has 10 ply sidewalls.

Good luck in your search!

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I have the E rated and in rocks at 25psi on my 2003 Ford Expedition they are getting pretty thrashed. Not only the sidewalls, but also the tread blocks. Lots of cuts, notches, and half gone tread blocks.

Like I said, they are noisy on the road, but I agree they do not overtake conversation... they are just annoying when I drive down the road and want quiet time to think...

I have Toyo Open Country A/T on my 2006 F150. They are nice and quiet. They do great in dry, wet, and snow. I haven’t spent time on them offroad so I can’t speak to that... they are showing some weather cracking between the tread blocks, which is odd.

Next I really want to try General Grabbers like the Expedition Overland guys use... regardless of General sponsoring the show, they can afford to buy any tires they want to travel the world, and they chose those...

James