Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Stv
Last Name
DMg
Member #

I have a really badly herniated l5/s1 and looking for camping chair recs. What are y'all using these days

steve

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I have a really badly herniated l5/s1 and looking for camping chair recs. What are y'all using these days

steve
Steve, I have the same issue. L3 all the way to S1. Trying to avoid another surgery. I had a diskectomy on L4L5 6 years ago. Now they’re suggesting a fusion if it doesn’t get better by summer. Sucks man. So I’ve been using the GCI Freestyle Rocker from Academy. Hope you find something that gives you a break. It’s been pretty good for me.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Not understanding what all those numbers mean and what kind of support that requires, I suggest starting at a Bass Pro, Cabela’s, REI, etc and just start sitting in chairs until you find something that’s comfortable. I have a Helinox Sunset chair. I find it quite comfy and well supporting. However, I have no idea if it provides the kind of support you need. Start sitting!!

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
GCI Rockers. They make a couple of models...wife has the tall one and II have the shorter firepit rocker. I also have a set of Kijaro Duallock chairs which are quiite comfortable too.

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

I like the Kijaro Dual lock chairs.
They don't sag like other bag chairs and they are ridiculously oversized. Very supportive, but they are don't fold/pack up small. That is their only downfall.

But comfort? Oh, Yeah!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i dont have back problems, so not sure just how well it would help with that, but i did get this chair as a gift years back and it is very comfortable. its big and a little heavy, but by adjusting the incline angle, you will be able to take a lot of weight off your back by going more horizontal versus vertical. ive fallen asleep in it, so it is comfortable
the legs can also incline, so it seems like that would help as well...kind of like a lazy-boy recliner

Last edited:

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
We use the cheapest expanding chair that REI makes. They're the most compact and easiest to deploy of the chairs I've seen. They are also the most comfortable. We tried them all, the smallest and cheapest was the best option for us.

-M