Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Right? Look, I get that we dont want to get too political, or attack anyone, but when a particular political group is looking to ban something that a lot of overlanders use, then it seems likely that opinions about that political group will be aired.

Overlanding = vehicles, fuel, land, and ground travel. Some of the most government regulated subjects. Talk of some things is likely to get a little political and that can actually be done in a healthy way.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Right? Look, I get that we dont want to get too political, or attack anyone, but when a particular political group is looking to ban something that a lot of overlanders use, then it seems likely that opinions about that political group will be aired.

Overlanding = vehicles, fuel, land, and ground travel. Some of the most government regulated subjects. Talk of some things is likely to get a little political and that can actually be done in a healthy way.
I dont believe it is the politics themselves that are causing the problem. If the converstation can remain civil then let the converstaion continue, as the moderators have. But this is an overland community. We have enough divisiveness outside of this community when it comes to politics that we dont need it here. I am completely behind closing threads that have no production value and have turned into insults and name calling. If you dont like the subject dont look at it, if you dont agree with someone that is your right, but understand that no one should be belittled for their point of view.

Leave politics and division to the corrupt politicians that make a living doing it. While you are here enjoy people who have a common interest in overlanding.

Reactions: Jim SoG and KAIONE

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I dont believe it is the politics themselves that are causing the problem. If the converstation can remain civil then let the converstaion continue, as the moderators have. But this is an overland community. We have enough divisiveness outside of this community when it comes to politics that we dont need it here. I am completely behind closing threads that have no production value and have turned into insults and name calling. If you dont like the subject dont look at it, if you dont agree with someone that is your right, but understand that no one should be belittled for their point of view.

Leave politics and division to the corrupt politicians that make a living doing it. While you are here enjoy people who have a common interest in overlanding.
Why would you lock the thread instead of taking the offenders out of the loop? And screw the rest of us from having civil discussions about regulations, which ARE handed down by politicians, whether we like it or not.

I agree. The discussions should remain civil. However, it IS possible for Mods to edit or delete individual posts. Or should a whole city be in jail because two guys robbed a bank?

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

That's just it... the thread WAS civil - there was no cussing nor name calling or any such.

Reactions: grubworm and MazeVX

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Topic is overlanding, this one is already off topic, shut 'er down.

You want/need to disacuss things other than overlanding weather, routes, trucks, theres a website catering to those needs/wants.

It was the idiots who get sidetracked expressing their childish side then getting really childish and calling out those who have a different opinion that led me to deleting my build threads. Amazing how many cannot express an opinion without hitting reply.

The thread is either on topic or it is off topic. Like this one right now.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
well, if you want to get technical...i'm pretty sure about 99% of ALL conversations that occur are not necessary.

i ask the wife what's for dinner and end up getting a 20 minute rant on how crazy her day was and how bad the drivers are in baton rouge. she is way off topic and being negative....do i shut her down? no. i agree with her and maybe even throw in a crazy driver experience i had that day and then we eventually get around to supper and all is well.

so...as far as "overlanding" goes...if it doesn't matter what you drive...why should it matter what you say?

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Topic is overlanding, this one is already off topic, shut 'er down.

You want/need to disacuss things other than overlanding weather, routes, trucks, theres a website catering to those needs/wants.

It was the idiots who get sidetracked expressing their childish side then getting really childish and calling out those who have a different opinion that led me to deleting my build threads. Amazing how many cannot express an opinion without hitting reply.

The thread is either on topic or it is off topic. Like this one right now.
Shut 'or down? Really? Let me know when you become a Mod. Theres more to overlanding than weather, routes and trucks. Theres land management. Theres fuel. Theres power. Theres vehicles. All of which are regulated in some way. And when a regulation sucks for overlanders, this should be the forum to b!tch about it.

Yes, everyone should remain civil, I whole heartedly agree to that. But how about handle the people who aren't being civil instead of nuking everyone else's ability to have a discussion with differing opinions and the various suggestions what to do about it.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Shut 'or down? Really? Let me know when you become a Mod. Theres more to overlanding than weather, routes and trucks. Theres land management. Theres fuel. Theres power. Theres vehicles. All of which are regulated in some way. And when a regulation sucks for overlanders, this should be the forum to b!tch about it.

Yes, everyone should remain civil, I whole heartedly agree to that. But how about handle the people who aren't being civil instead of nuking everyone else's ability to have a discussion with differing opinions and the various suggestions what to do about it.
Well said sir.

Reactions: Correus

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

well, if you want to get technical...i'm pretty sure about 99% of ALL conversations that occur are not necessary.

i ask the wife what's for dinner and end up getting a 20 minute rant on how crazy her day was and how bad the drivers are in baton rouge. she is way off topic and being negative....do i shut her down? no. i agree with her and maybe even throw in a crazy driver experience i had that day and then we eventually get around to supper and all is well.
That happens in your house, too?! Huh. Almost as if theres a universitality to it...

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Look very simple, this is for overlanding, not xState sucks, not saying your an idiot, not that was stupid to say etc. This is about overlanding.

If you want to post what you want and have no moderation, OB is not for you. You want to have civil, supportive, inquiring discussions, right place.

The small engines thread is prime example, you can discuss all day about California regulations and how they are spreading to your location and things like that, you can also talk about what your doing to combat that reg or what you use to camp now. But then we get those who start calling people stupid or idiots and politics start in with this party or that and whatever, the thread turns away from the OP of the regs and small engines....

Look at this thread for example, can not have a discussion on what caused the threads to be locked without people chiming in useless comments and remarks on our/my politics. I do not mind some like to be sarcastic or joke, but if a (this) thread stays on course, we all can learn and it stays open.
I had a conversation with one of you and I agree I can do more individual/posts action and try to save the thread, I will try but if it again turns away, thread will go.

As a starting place for content, you should read the Community Guidelines.

You can sum it all up as I am intolerant if you want, but there are WAYYY more threads not locked than those which are...... and go look at the locked threads AFTER understanding the community guidelines......

Jim

SWLands

Rank IV
Investor

Pathfinder III

Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
So.. as I see it THIS thread is exploring how we interact. And I will say that even more than overlanding, weather, rigs, routes and other rigamarole we are here to interact.

With that in mind Fritz Perls was a therapist from the 60's I think, who was rather skilled at getting people to explore their inner world. He once said "Contact is the appreciation of differences." I really like this phrase - it means to meet someone you really need to listen, and try to understand how they arrive at this place where we meet with the views they have. If you take offence at something they say, or simply who they are, you have not met them in the slightest. You have run into a wall of your own making. If they take offence at something you say, or simply who you are, you may not be met, but you might understand them. And perhaps you can find some way to still share with them. We start with common ground, which in this forum is overlanding, and explore.

And yeah - I do like getting way the hell off on my own. Just me and Big Mama (that would be Nature, the wide world, etc). OK, me, myself and I and Big Mama. When I am with a bunch of people I am sensitive to others and at risk of having my buttons pushed. In the name of inner exploration that can be a good thing, but it can also unleash a mob of inner characters I had no idea were lurking in there and finding myself in the crowd becomes a bit like playing a high stakes game of Where's Waldo. When that happens I think the best response is just to pack up and leave. Head for the hills. Or at least go for a walk.

And to finish up. The kicker in the phrase "Contact is the appreciation of differences" is the word appreciate. Unless you genuinely appreciate the other person so you can support them and care about them I don't think you have met them.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
And yeah - I do like getting way the hell off on my own.
I think you have hit the nail on the head with that one. One of the traits that makes us overlanders just happens to be the same trait that causes many of us to take off in directions other than that which may have been initially intended. We want to go someplace else. We want to explore. We want to see how far we can go. That is just who we are. And boy do we make for lousy sheep.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Look very simple, this is for overlanding, not xState sucks, not saying your an idiot, not that was stupid to say etc. This is about overlanding.

If you want to post what you want and have no moderation, OB is not for you. You want to have civil, supportive, inquiring discussions, right place.

The small engines thread is prime example, you can discuss all day about California regulations and how they are spreading to your location and things like that, you can also talk about what your doing to combat that reg or what you use to camp now. But then we get those who start calling people stupid or idiots and politics start in with this party or that and whatever, the thread turns away from the OP of the regs and small engines....

Look at this thread for example, can not have a discussion on what caused the threads to be locked without people chiming in useless comments and remarks on our/my politics. I do not mind some like to be sarcastic or joke, but if a (this) thread stays on course, we all can learn and it stays open.
I had a conversation with one of you and I agree I can do more individual/posts action and try to save the thread, I will try but if it again turns away, thread will go.

As a starting place for content, you should read the Community Guidelines.

You can sum it all up as I am intolerant if you want, but there are WAYYY more threads not locked than those which are...... and go look at the locked threads AFTER understanding the community guidelines......

Jim
I’m going to reiterate on this just a little bit Jim…

Read the whole Terms of Service, not just the Community Guidelines. A lot of these infractions that are closing threads down are actually banable offenses. When you join OB (or any other forum) you are agreeing to the community guidelines and the terms of service; you clicked “Agree” I order to finish the registration process.

“Adventure is Necessary”

Stop being keyboard warriors and instead if you don’t have something to contribute to the better of the community, get out and go. Find a nice secluded spot to explore, work on your rig, or explore OB1 and plan your next big adventure; then contribute something positive to the group with your findings of self reflection.

Last edited: