Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Still working down in Oregon. I got the opportunity to be part of history.......116* in Portland! Headed up to the mountains in an attempt to find cooler weather and maybe dip my toes in water. Unfortunately, the entire Oregon population had the same water goal, but i did find a secluded little spot with plenty of shade. GPX attached.

View attachment 203112
View attachment 203104

View attachment 203105

View attachment 203106

View attachment 203107

View attachment 203108

GPX viewer
Looks like you found a nice spot to cool off! How long do you think you'll be over in the Portland area? We should meetup somewhere in the middle if you get the time. Maybe do a camp trip in the Cascades like we did last summer.

Reactions: M Rose

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

State wide burn ban starting tomorrow thru Sep. 30th for Washington state.

This kind of takes some fun out of camping but is totally understandable, it's damn dry out there. Did you see anything if propane fires and bbq's are still allowed?

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
This is what the actual order says.

THEREFORE, outdoor burning, the use of charcoal briquettes, and prescribed burns are banned on all forest lands within the State of Washington under Department of Natural Resources fire protection through September 30, 2021. This date may be extended or shortened based upon ongoing fire conditions. The following exceptions will apply:
1. As approved in writing by the Commissioner of Public Lands or Department Supervisor, approved prescribed fire for ecological purposes, when conducted by trained professionals.
2. As approved in writing by the Commissioner of Public Lands or Department Supervisor when there are compelling reasons for such an exception.

You should ask a Ranger. I would think propane is ok, it usually is.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
This kind of takes some fun out of camping but is totally understandable, it's damn dry out there. Did you see anything if propane fires and bbq's are still allowed?
Yeah I think they left it out to make you thing all fire is ban. I searched the website and cannot find anything about propane cooking, lighting, and campfires. I will email my DNR volunteer coordinator to see if we can get something in writing.

The other public land managers with fire bans news letters I have seen have added propane is ok.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Yeah I think they left it out to make you thing all fire is ban. I searched the website and cannot find anything about propane cooking, lighting, and campfires. I will email my DNR volunteer coordinator to see if we can get something in writing.

The other public land managers with fire bans news letters I have seen have added propane is ok.
Here is the reply from Stephanie Margheim SE Region DNR.

Margheim, Stephanie (DNR) <Stephanie.Margheim@dnr.wa.gov>

Hi Clay,

I see that the DNR website does not really mention the burn ban or conditions around it except in a link to the press release. That’s frustrating.

Since propane is not called out in the Commissioner’s Order (only outdoor burning, briquettes and prescribed fire), it is ok to use it on DNR protected lands. I’ll see if I can make some phone calls to get the website updated.

Be safe out there!

Thanks,

Stephanie

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Looks like you found a nice spot to cool off! How long do you think you'll be over in the Portland area? We should meetup somewhere in the middle if you get the time. Maybe do a camp trip in the Cascades like we did last summer.
I will probably stay out here until the grapes start hauling. This is keeping my health insurance and pension going.
Would love to meet up. Maybe somewhere around Mt. St. Helens and Packwood. I did some driving around there a few years ago. Found a couple FS camps and lakes that had basically been abandoned after the eruption. Nature has taken back much of the once paved and maintained roads.
Let me know what you think, I am open really to anywhere.

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

How’s everyone doing? Been out of the picture for a while. Kathryn gave birth to a son two weeks ago, so we’ve been a little busy with that. The hope is to get out next month and do some camping. Maybe we all could get out and make something happen. Glad to see a few of you getting out there.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
How’s everyone doing? Been out of the picture for a while. Kathryn gave birth to a son two weeks ago, so we’ve been a little busy with that. The hope is to get out next month and do some camping. Maybe we all could get out and make something happen. Glad to see a few of you getting out there.
Wow, two at a time. Congratulates!

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I joined Overland Bound a year ago and waited to put the emblem on my JKU until we got it running again. Since the new engine is working and just had it's first oil change, I ordered two more Overland Bound emblems and put all three on today. Each one brings extra smiles on the trail.

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
I joined Overland Bound a year ago and waited to put the emblem on my JKU until we got it running again. Since the new engine is working and just had it's first oil change, I ordered two more Overland Bound emblems and put all three on today. Each one brings extra smiles on the trail.

Mine when the JL was new...

IMG_0521.JPGIMG_0764.JPG

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
OK, we need to do another get together. I read earlier today that the Blue mountains are closed... Fires... maybe we could meet at a park or something next saturday? Anyone game? Anyone have suggestions?

You read correct. I just spent the week up at Jubilee Lake and we were kicked out… southerner Blues are still open (South of I-84).

I will probably be running up Spring Creek Road, or playing around on Mount Emily next weekend.

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
Nice, sounds like fun

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

OK, we need to do another get together. I read earlier today that the Blue mountains are closed... Fires... maybe we could meet at a park or something next saturday? Anyone game? Anyone have suggestions?

I’ve been with my dad all weekend down in Oregon. We’ve been running around the John Day area and everything has been open so far. We tried going to the lookout at king mtn but ran into two locked gates and it was getting late so we decided to run into Burns for dinner. Roads have been pretty well maintained and there is a ton of camping areas. Still haven’t found out why they can’t make the price of camping an easy dollar amount like 5 or 10 but that’s for a different conversation.

Attachments

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
Here it comes...

All DNR lands in Eastern Washington to be closed to the public

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Here it comes...

All DNR lands in Eastern Washington to be closed to the public

We made it out of Covid lockdown, now its time for climate lockdown. I understand a good numbers of the fires are caused by people being stupid but people are acting like they've never seen a hot dry summer before.

Reactions: Ceg