The Overland Orca: 2003 Tacoma

• HTML tutorial

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Some seriously fantastic modifications in here. Makes me miss my Tacoma.
I was already impressed with the bumper and rocker / step upgrades - but the bed for the dog takes it, bro.
Keep sharing! Keep building!

Reactions: Trowbocop

Trowbocop

Rank III

Advocate II

Thank you @RaggedViking!

A short while ago I upgraded the roof vent in the camper for a fantastic fan. After a few trips in it, wow, it's made a world of difference! It is able to blast air through any open window or door, up and out the roof. Makes for a great breeze on a hot day! The camper was pre-wired, so it made it for an easy swap.

Out with the old:

In with the new:

Last edited:
Reactions: ASNOBODY

Trowbocop

Rank III

Advocate II

Next task is to figure out this mess, and get the solar panels installed. I've got two 100w renogy panels and a charge controller just collecting dust until I can wrap my head around what's going on with the pre wiring.

A few photos to induce anxiety:

Behind the fuse panel are a few open ended wires:

Under the sink a few open ended brown wires:

Some open ended blue wires:

Red and black wires ready for something.. These come from the wire cluster that I believe goes under and across the sink. This is in between the bed and the stove.

I can't seem to find the junction box in the roof to install the solar wiring plug, it's supposed to be above the push panel to lift the roof on the driver side. I've looked there, even cut a small hole in the roof liner- but still can't find it.

There is pre-wiring I can see at the front of the sleeper bed on the driver side, so I know wires are ran up there, just have to find both ends.

Hoping to get this sorted out within a few weeks. Work is crazy now, but my weekends are finally free. Wish me luck!

Reactions: ASNOBODY and DaveL

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I had never seen anyone else put their tent in the back of their bed like you had. My mate use to do that all the time before he sold his Tacoma. One time he even drove around town with it setup in the back as we ran some errands - oh the memories.

Trowbocop

Rank III

Advocate II

The CG has definitely changed, but not all that much. The camper is aluminum framed to keep it light weight.

I have changed my wheeling attitude though, now this is on. I don't take the rig out for day wheeling trips and trails for fun anymore. I used to really push the limits of the truck, but now that it's my tiny home..:I take less risks, and keep it for camping trips and surf days.

Last edited:

Trowbocop

Rank III

Advocate II

I noticed that after adding my full size spare (265-75-16) that my dumped exhaust was roasting the tire. In an effort to not have it explode at any given time, I bolted a curved tip on.

Also, I installed 2 sets of Yakima tracks on the roof. Going to mount (2) 100w renogy panels, as well as two cross bars out back for mounting smaller items like maxtrax, and one cross bar up front to balance the surf boards.

Reactions: ASNOBODY and DaveL