The official OTO "Ozark Trail Overland" gear thread!

• HTML tutorial

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

BTW, made this great, albeit, heavy, removable mount for my fridge slide this past weekend. I'll post up some picks, but I essentially mounted the slide to a cut piece of 3/4 inch plywood and attached verticle locking clamp latches on one end and the other hinge/attachment onto the expedition drawers I have so that I can have my fridge/side secured to the expedition drawers when needed and remove the whole setup completely when I want to have room to haul/carry other things without a bolted down fridge slide in the way.
This post is worthless without pics! lmao

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I was just talking to someone the other day who is a yeti dealer after he commented on my yeti coffee cup which I am seldom without. I mentioned that I bought a ozark cup that looked the same, but after awhile I noticed that when I had ice in it, that it would sweat, something that I never saw with my much older yeti cups. He said that he asked the yeti rep awhile back what the difference really was and was told that during the vacuum process most manufacturers seal the vacuum differently and that they eventually lose their seal. He was told that yeti has theirs sealed with a spot weld. I don’t know if any of it’s true, but I do know that none of my yeti cups have had these issues. If Walmart takes them back as defective which they probably will, they are still cheaper though.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Andy G and dziner

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

What slides are those and where did you get them? I’m in need of slides that can handle some weight. Hopefully they hold open too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The slide is a stock Dometic slide that I got at Expo East but is also available at Walmart.com or Amazon. Bolted it to a 3/4 inch board and installed latch locks on the opposing end of the slide and the latch catches on the frame of my cargo box so it'd completely secure and completely removable. I didn't want a permanently bolted down slide in my way when I need maximum floor space

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

I suppose Ill add to this. I bought a lot of Stanley products from walmart, some of the lodge cast iron, some of the Ozark trail tumblers, and from Amazon I got a smoking deal on a Dometic CFX50W ($490+ tax w/ free prime shipping). I have yet to be let down by any of these purchases and I plan to buy the stanley cook and brew coffee system next.

JoeCool

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Ormond Beach, Florida
Member #

Santa put an Ozark Trail hat rim LED light in my stocking last year. Can’t be seen from the space station but when it’s pitch black and you are walking through camp it was bright enough for me to worry about waking people up by the light. My wife and I both use them and love them. They definitely proved their worth at Overland Expo in NC. Best part? $1.00 at Walmart :-)

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

JzzR83

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Savage, MN
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0VFV
I also have two 20 oz OT tumblers and my wife has one of the little 10 oz ones. So far the vacuum seal has held up for a few years and we love 'em. The OT coffee percolator has worked great for only $12! We also have numerous Stanley brand coffee mugs and camping pots. All of those have held up great.

Does Fox Outfitters count as off brand? We have two of their hammocks, four stainless cups, a few of the microfiber towels and some other items. Once again, much less than name brand but they all work wonderful.

SgtMac

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson, AZ 85747, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
McGuire
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Ret.
Have been watching a lot of Australian overlanding video's lately, and noticed some of them use Cot Tents. I Found this Ozark Trails one. Seems as long as you look it over when you buy it, they are pretty nice for the price.
They were on sale for $82, I bought one and will report back once I get a chance to use it.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Instant-Tent-Cot-with-Rainfly-Sleeps-1/22716933

I have also heard good things about the Ozark Trail 2-Room Instant Shower/Utility Shelter. Haven't bought one yet, waiting for the price to go back down.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-2-Room-Instant-Shower-Utility-Shelter/42391766

Reactions: Tahoe.Adventures

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

I Found this Ozark Trails one. Seems as long as you look it over when you buy it, they are pretty nice for the price. They were on sale for $82, I bought one and will report back once I get a chance to use it. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Instant-Tent-Cot-with-Rainfly-Sleeps-1/22716933
There was a guy at Overland East with one of those set up on his roof. I didn't get a picture of it, but I googled a similar setup. Don't know why you'd need to put it on your roof, but it's an option.

upload_2018-2-5_22-32-44.png

Reactions: dziner and SgtMac

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
I'll add to this, as I've used a metric ton of OT stuff over the years, sometimes out of necessity (couldn't afford better), some out of choice just to see how it went.

I use 2 of the 30oz tumblers every day for coffee. I have forgotten about my cup, and come back 7 hours later and it was still hot enough to drink. Maybe not as hot as I prefer, but I'll take it. My wife has a few Yeti tumblers, and so far they seem pretty much the same.

I bought a Fieldline Tactical bag about 6 years ago, just to get something bigger for my Bug Out Bag, assuming I'd get a year out of it, fully planing on picking up a 5.11 or similar brand bag later. 6 years, tons of camping trips, dozens of hikes, and countless unloading and reloading and it's still in about the same shape as when I bought it (well aside from the holes my kid put in it with a filet knife).

I have a 4 man dome tent I bought for a music festival in 2000, used it in the back yard 2 years ago and it was still waterproof. Packs to the size of a coffee can too (plus poles) so if I do any back woods camping while hiking I can take that and tie it to my bag.

One of the best purchases of OT gear I've made is something I purposely tried to break for about 2 years. I bought a $4 folding lockback knife, with the express intention of torture testing it in real world conditions. I carry a knife and use it daily, so I figured I'd be a good one to test it. Then we went camping after it lasted 6 months. I was using that little knife and another piece of wood to chop logs. It just won't quit. I've abused it way beyond what I thought it would take. After 2 years I've moved on to other knives, but it earned a home in one of my survival bags, which I don't take lightly.

I'm sure there is more, in fact I know a fair portion of my first bug out kit was OT stuff. Bottom line, inexpensive doesn't always mean cheap.

Planning on grabbing one of the OT yeti-like coolers for our overland trip in June.

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

My wife & I both have yeti 32 oz cups which perform amazing & after that me & my daughter we’re @ Wally World & she wanted the pretty pink Lazard trail cup & I will be straight up it performs just as well as our $50 dollar cups for $14.95 just my 2 cents ✌

Reactions: TerryD and dziner

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Wal-Mart has the 2 person stainless mess kit for $5 on clearance right now. I've been looking at it so I bought all four sets they had in stock. That'll set me up with one 5 person kit for the family and one three piece for my personal box that stays in the Xterra.