Saint Simons Island GA
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Mohr
Member #

Service Branch
Former LEO
Having been at last years Expo, I would suggest that for anyone camping at the venue to meet up at the large parking lot adjacent to the hotel (not the Biltmore house) BEFORE you enter the Expo...once you enter you make a quick left and you are in line for a camping spot so if you don't roll in together, you will not be camping in a group. Camping is very tight so good to be in a group if possible.

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

Good call. @dziner and I have to be there Wednesday and have camp setup due to volunteer hours starting on thursday. We can try and save spots for folks. We will need a rig and trailer count though, that's if they allow it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Reactions: dziner

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

We were planning to meet up with whoever was there outside the gate somewher (@Ryan Matthes knows where) before entering on Thursday.
Ok. We will have to have our camp set up already so if ypu all get there early enough thursday hopefully we will have been able to save space for everyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using OB Talk mobile app

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

If we're saving camping space, I'm thinking we're going to have to establish camp somewhere on the perimeter of the field. I thought the moto camping area was probably the nicest in that it had some tree cover. A head count would be helpful, and to know what kind of camping space everyone is in need of (RTT, trailer, ground tent, awning).

I feel that it's gonna come down to driving in on Wednesday and asking where we can establish camp for X people.

taliv

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
are there community fire pits?

i'll be in a truck pulling an imagine trailvan. truck is fairly long. 21' i think. trailer is under 13'

it has a flip out bed on the side and a canopy on the other side and rear, so 20' wide would be nice, but I'm not sure how cramped everyone is going to be

put me next to valmore!

Reactions: dziner and Valmore

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

From what I remember from last year, there are no fire pits. At least I didn't see any. However the FAQ's state otherwise. I'd plan on not having access to a fire pit.

Info pulled from Overland Expo East FAQ's:
  • All camping spots are on a first come basis.
  • Groups are welcome to stake out their own areas.
Larger overland vehicles: we accept vehicles up to 30-feet, but they must be overland rigs and 4WD. Overland conversions that are not 4WD (such as Sprinters or other vans) may attend but are at risk of getting stuck if it rains; non-4WD vehicles will be responsible for their own extraction. (Larger vehicles may be directed to special parking areas and so may not be able to camp close by friends in regular-sized vehicles or on motorcycles.)

Trailers: small overland trailers are ok; teardrop-style and small pop-ups are also okay (no hard-sided standing-headroom trailers except micro-trailers, less than 13 feet with no slideouts). Trucks pulling motorcycles on trailers are acceptable; if you have an enclosed motorcycle trailer, contact us to see if we can accommodate it. (Vehicles with trailers may be directed to special parking areas and so may not be able to camp close by friends in regular-sized vehicles or on motorcycles.)

NOT PERMITTED: 5th-wheel or large travel trailers, or toy haulers cannot be accommodated.

FIRES: There will be several designated fire pits, but otherwise no personal campfires (no wood burning or digging pits) due to venue rules. This includes charcoal grills; propane is allowed.

iLuddite

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Atlanta, Georgia
First Name
Terr
Last Name
Crump
Member #

I have my tickets. I have my notebook so I can learn what things I need to start looking into my first real rig.

Valmore

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canonsburg PA, USA
First Name
Val
Last Name
Valiente
Member #

are there community fire pits?

i'll be in a truck pulling an imagine trailvan. truck is fairly long. 21' i think. trailer is under 13'

it has a flip out bed on the side and a canopy on the other side and rear, so 20' wide would be nice, but I'm not sure how cramped everyone is going to be

put me next to valmore!
Hi Tom, it would be nice to have the Trailvans together , I checked but there is no way we can fit two trailvans on the space we have assigned.

Anyways, We still have a day pass available, if there is anybody interested on it just let me know!

Beee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Noblesville, IN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ruschak
Member #

I would like to be part of the OB camp. Just not sure if I can get in on Thursday yet. Friday morning for sure. I will have my 4Runner and 5x8 Hiker Trailer with me.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Dave Hughes

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

From what I remember from last year, there are no fire pits. At least I didn't see any. However the FAQ's state otherwise. I'd plan on not having access to a fire pit.

Info pulled from Overland Expo East FAQ's:
  • All camping spots are on a first come basis.
  • Groups are welcome to stake out their own areas.
Larger overland vehicles: we accept vehicles up to 30-feet, but they must be overland rigs and 4WD. Overland conversions that are not 4WD (such as Sprinters or other vans) may attend but are at risk of getting stuck if it rains; non-4WD vehicles will be responsible for their own extraction. (Larger vehicles may be directed to special parking areas and so may not be able to camp close by friends in regular-sized vehicles or on motorcycles.)

Trailers: small overland trailers are ok; teardrop-style and small pop-ups are also okay (no hard-sided standing-headroom trailers except micro-trailers, less than 13 feet with no slideouts). Trucks pulling motorcycles on trailers are acceptable; if you have an enclosed motorcycle trailer, contact us to see if we can accommodate it. (Vehicles with trailers may be directed to special parking areas and so may not be able to camp close by friends in regular-sized vehicles or on motorcycles.)

NOT PERMITTED: 5th-wheel or large travel trailers, or toy haulers cannot be accommodated.

FIRES: There will be several designated fire pits, but otherwise no personal campfires (no wood burning or digging pits) due to venue rules. This includes charcoal grills; propane is allowed.
Im bringing my Campfire in a Can for the win !

InsertAliasHere

Rank III

Advocate II

Already put in for some days off work but I am still unsure if this expo will be in the cards this year. I would be driving from Jersey. It will be a real bummer if I can't make it!

-2002 Disco with heavy things bolted to it.

Dave Hughes

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Awesome! I work for The Hershey Company and will be bringing S'mores supplies.
My fat ass is on a Diet but I will watch you guys eat all the chocolate you can. By the way I love the Hershey store where I can get all the Beta candy!

And if you work in the IT side of Hershey , Would love to chat : )

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

My fat ass is on a Diet but I will watch you guys eat all the chocolate you can. By the way I love the Hershey store where I can get all the Beta candy!

And if you work in the IT side of Hershey , Would love to chat : )
The Hershey store is pretty cool. I like to sample stuff before it hits retailers. I'm a graphic designer on the eCommerce team. I WISH I was doing more web-based design/UX/UI stuff, but that's not part of my job duties here.

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Already put in for some days off work but I am still unsure if this expo will be in the cards this year. I would be driving from Jersey. It will be a real bummer if I can't make it!

You can do it! Is it a time constraint? I'm basically setting aside a full day of travel to get there, and a full day of travel to get home. Leaving early Sunday morning and back to work Monday.

InsertAliasHere

Rank III

Advocate II

You can do it! Is it a time constraint? I'm basically setting aside a full day of travel to get there, and a full day of travel to get home. Leaving early Sunday morning and back to work Monday.
Really it's more of a financial constraint. Between the tickets and the gas for my less-than-efficient discovery, it will really add up!

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Really it's more of a financial constraint. Between the tickets and the gas for my less-than-efficient discovery, it will really add up!

Gotcha. Understood. I'm not attending the Roof Top Tent Rally in Virginia for the same reason.