The iPhone 14 lineup will offer satellite connectivity!

• HTML tutorial

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Apple just presented the new iPhone lineup for this year and I was pleasantly surprised to see that they will offer soon (November) the ability to communicate with satellites.

I think this is pretty cool and with a lot of potential. I think we will see a lot of Garmin/Zoleo hit the market pretty soon...

What do you think?

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Apple just presented the new iPhone lineup for this year and I was pleasantly surprised to see that they will offer soon (November) the ability to communicate with satellites.

I think this is pretty cool and with a lot of potential. I think we will see a lot of Garmin/Zoleo hit the market pretty soon...

What do you think?
Communicate, as in, have cell reception?

Reactions: Kent R

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I'll wait to see how it works, but does anyone want my Garmin, LOL! The convenience of one device is attractive as well as getting away from anything Garmin related.......IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Advtres and Kent R

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I'll wait to see how it works, but does anyone want my Garmin, LOL! The convenience on one device is attractive as well as getting away from anything Garmin related.......IMHO.
Yeah one device less to carry and keep charged for sure. But we'll need to see how this will perform before getting rid of Garmin... which means Garmin will have to find a way to retain customers which is great news for all of us.

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

To be fair, it says may not work above 62 degrees northern latitude. That's kind of a hint/magic number as to what service Apple is using; Starlink.
No, Apple will use Globalstar, not Starlink. I'm sure they will help them financially to expand satellite coverage in the future.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
To be fair, it says may not work above 62 degrees northern latitude. That's kind of a hint/magic number as to what service Apple is using; Starlink.
No, Apple will use Globalstar, not Starlink. I'm sure they will help them financially to expand satellite coverage in the future.
That's interesting, I'm curious why there's a coverage issue in Alaska then considering SPOT devices have basically full coverage in Alaska. Must be something specific to the way Apple is setting things up with them.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
That's interesting, I'm curious why there's a coverage issue in Alaska then considering SPOT devices have basically full coverage in Alaska. Must be something specific to the way Apple is setting things up with them.
Has to do with orbits and investment.

YoKramer

Rank IV

Influencer II

Concord NC
Member #

This has been talked about for a few months now, and will be coming to both Apple and Android. Starlink is offering its satellites for this for sure, and maybe others. It'll be an emergency only kind of service that will get a message or short bad cell call out. But anything that helps is good.

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Globalstar? I hope not; they don't have a stellar reputation. (pun not intended) ;)
That’s what they announced.
I’m sure with Apple behind it they gonna invest a lot to improve the infrastructure

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
That’s what they announced.
I’m sure with Apple behind it they gonna invest a lot to improve the infrastructure
Have not followed Globalstar in years but they were almost defunct 10+ years ago and having failure after failure with their birds leaving gaping holes in coverage. Who knows, maybe they have turned things around. If they are in similar shape today I would assume the kind of investment needed from Apple would come in the form of a buyout (or selling a major stake). Globalstar continued to be be the joke of the industry when I departed several years back. I'm not a finance guy but this does not look good.

4X3Lander

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

California, United States
First Name
Don
Last Name
4X3Lander
Member #

I knew this was going to be a feature for sure this time around, so I sold my Garmin InReach Explorer+ many months ago. Posted it on here too. Glad to be rid of it and now only need the phone. Already have my pre-order ready for tomorrow morning at 5AM :)

Reactions: Ubiety