The Great "daily driver" Debate... Help me out OB Family!

• HTML tutorial

ben.dicoot

Local Expert, Victoria Australia
Launch Member

Contributor III

Wodonga, Victoria, Australia
Member #

Hey OB Crew!

Ok here is a little background...

I am coming to the conclusion that I may need a daily driver in the coming months.
I live in Wodonga,Victoria in Australia. I live in town and my girlfriend lives 50km away in a little village called Stanley. I love it there and plan to move in with her in six weeks or so (once I finish house sitting for my holidaying parents)

The 110km/65mi round trip is a beautiful but treacherous drive. 40+ degrees C in summer and dustings of snow in winter. The main issue is wildlife. As I would be driving in to work at 5am the kangaroos, wallabies and wombats are a constant hazard. They are dumb animals and can weigh 100+kg and can total a car in a collision.

IMG_4024.JPG
This is my current rig (build thread here: https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/2016-nissan-navara-diesel-frontier-build-australia.3382/page-2#post-124943)

Most people get a daily driver as their 4x4 is too difficult to live with every day. My issue is the opposite. It is comfortable, quiet, safe, gets great diesel mileage and is kitted out nicely. The problem is it's too nice! I don't want to put a heap of miles on my vehicle, my expensive mud tyres, risk hitting wildlife and having to load/unload my camping gear for weekend camping trips.

If I purchased a cheap daily I can continue fitting out my rig, have it packed and ready to hit the road at a moments notice. Car tyres are cheaper and put a heap of miles on a car that I care less about.

Am I on the right track?
Potential vehicles would include 2wd pickups (cheap, economical, can be fitted with a bull bar, can fetch fire wood)
IMG_4201.PNG
and maybe a ford panel van (sturdy, reliable, can lock my bikes/sleep in the back, cool factor)
IMG_4205.PNG

What do you think guys? Let me know what you think!
Cheers, Ben OB#2552

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Your in Australia! Doesn't everyone there have a spare Brumby tucked away to use? It seems that way on the AU Subaru forums. :)

Actually, I have nothing useful to add, but love the looks of the panel van.

subaru_brumby_offroad_mud1.jpg

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I'm sort of in the same spot and am seriously considering a small pick up truck. In your case a strong bull bar is needed to fend off wildlife, in my case I'm simply fending off other drivers and normal road hazards. My vote is for the 2wd pick up.

Reactions: ben.dicoot

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I think you are on the right track getting a commuter vehicle. Cheap, dependable, and as good on diesel as possible. Saves the wear and tear on your overlander. That's my vote. Benz.

ben.dicoot

Local Expert, Victoria Australia
Launch Member

Contributor III

Wodonga, Victoria, Australia
Member #

So I went and bought a daily driver...
All the 2wd Utes in my price range had lots of miles and were pretty rough...

I ended up buying this!
IMG_4254.JPG
It's a 2003 Ford Falcon station wagon. It has the legendary "Barra" 4 litre twin cam inline six. 4 speed auto and leaf spring/solid axle rear end. It is a massive car but quite light due to being a big empty box! I can safely lock my bike inside (without removing wheels) and any tools for work.

It runs on cheap fuel. For us Aussies thats 91. We also have 95 and 98 commonly available.

I've already removed the hubcaps and will paint the steel rims black again. I will recess an led light bar into the lower grille, tint the windows, as well as lower the rear (with lowering blocks) to level the vehicle out.

As for the Navara?
IMG_4259.JPG
It's tucked into its new home and ready for a camping trip at any time. Mods will continue (swing away tyre/jerry holder) once the shed is converted to a workshop... concrete floor, power, lights, doors etc.

Thanks for the advice fellow 'bounders!
Happy trails, Ben