The G.M. Hummer that should've worked...

• HTML tutorial

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

MidWest, U.S., by Chicago.
Member #

Well, hummer is no more, so it couldn't have been a hummer certified used car. I can tell you that Subaru and Toyota certified used cars are backed by Subaru and Toyota just like a brand new car. Thru the dealer network and all and backed by Subaru and Toyota itself.

To me only the manufacturer backed certified used car programs qualify as certified used cars. Why? In Subaru:a case, the dealer certifies the vehicle on behalf of the manufacturer, has a very specific checklist that has to be completed and turned in to Subaru. If they do things wrong the dealer will get in trouble and lose the ability to certify used cars. Warranty coverage is extended from Subaru, not the dealer and not a third party. It is a very thorough process. I bought a certified used 2012 outback back in 12, and i would totally buy another certified Subaru again. Toyota is similar from what I understand. And I thought most others were as well.

I've heard of dealers selling certified used cars but the dealer was certifying them and it was not in conjunction with manufacturer, it was just the dealers own certification process, no higher authority holding them accountable. And often warranty had to be done in house. Or they used third party warranty services to back them up.

Glad you got over it eventually. Have to say the diesel idea sounds cool. Hope you're able to do it.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using OB Talk mobile app
You're Right Gregory, it was a "dealer only" certified warranty through a third party. But I never even thought about it again until I started to have the issues... I've never had a major problem with my Toyotas, or the liitle Subaru I had, and I was actually going to buy a Raptor when I found the H3, but it was as much money at the Ford dealership as the as the H2 on the lot I ended up at...
But it was a really cool Orange one... just awesome.
Then, just recently, my fiancee wanted to look at an SUV, and we went to see a Factory Certified FJ, it was great, she and I both dig them, but she didn't like the maroon, she likes silver or black, so she's waiting. But now we know the dealship, and they completely explained how their warranty system works through Toyota, and not a company, working with a used car dealership... I learned a lot talking with the Toyota salesman about the warranty companies.

Sent from my SM-T377R4 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Gregory Youngblood

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

You're Right Gregory, it was a "dealer only" certified warranty through a third party. But I never even thought about it again until I started to have the issues... I've never had a major problem with my Toyotas, or the liitle Subaru I had, and I was actually going to buy a Raptor when I found the H3, but it was as much money at the Ford dealership as the as the H2 on the lot I ended up at...
But it was a really cool Orange one... just awesome.
Then, just recently, my fiancee wanted to look at an SUV, and we went to see a Factory Certified FJ, it was great, she and I both dig them, but she didn't like the maroon, she likes silver or black, so she's waiting. But now we know the dealship, and they completely explained how their warranty system works through Toyota, and not a company, working with a used car dealership... I learned a lot talking with the Toyota salesman about the warranty companies.

Sent from my SM-T377R4 using OB Talk mobile app
Cool. Hope you find one you like. Another tidbit I learned along the way, there's a dealer in Kansas that sells Toyota and he'll sell you extended warranty at his cost. Some dealers do same for Ford. I bought a Ford extended warranty for my explorer (bought used but still had remaining factory warranty) from a different dealer than I bought the truck. Saved something like 800+ dollars. If the FJ still has factory warranty left you may be able to buy the Toyota extended warranty, and if so, shop around. Might be able to save hundreds plus you don't put it in financing so you keep payments down 15 to 40 bucks depending on warranty prices too.

I'm thinking I might go in a totally different direction next truck. Going back to full size I think. Suburban or excursion. But that's probably a year or more away. We'll see. :)

Reactions: H3Coyote

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I need to spend some time reading everything that you’re planning in doing to your h3. I have an h3 as well and so disappointed with the i5 and transmission and the potential it could have had. I want to do a SAS, engine swap (likely the r2.8 if I’m not in California), and new transmission (a 6 speed would be great). I’ll keep looking out for your posts!!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Hey BonSheppo..! I hope it's a bit entertaining, I was disappointed as well, but not in the design, just in the components that GM used to build it.
And I completely, 100 percent, agree with you as to the drivetrain... I mean Seriously, there are 12 year old kids, in jeep clubs, who know the Dana 44 should be THE factory standard axle for ANY U.S. branded, 4x4 build, and that independant front axle, it's a great design IDEA, but EVERY i.f.s. 4 wheel drive race truck I've ever seen had just as much in the front suspension parts alone, as any other part of the truck, it's by no means a "backyard buildable" item, that's just a ridiculously over looked execution of some engineer who drinks with the bean counters at weekend barbque parties...
It's almost like they said, "why should we spend money to build it awesome, when we can just throw it together, and wait for real people to swap it out, and we can use them as tools to design the next phase of the plan, and get our ideas from watching YouTube..." What other explination can they have that would make any sense..?
I have never in my life been a "Brand X" following, die hard. I love the 4 runner (the earlier one with the removable top), Defender 90, FJ (all of those), Broncos, K5 Blazers, Jeep Wranglers are a serious toy for me, and that Rally Fighter, just Whoa..! I even went out and bought a Mazda Miata at one point because I saw a documentary on the guy who built, and designed it, he put his childhood emotions into that car and was uncompromising in the design of it, the longest selling convertible in automotive history. They are pure fun to drive on a race track.
But when I got the H3, I thought, THERE..! That is something with potential, but I didn't think I'd have to replace the transmission within a year, I've seen some 700r4 transmissions (4L60e before the renaming of it) built to handle the power of a serious small block in more than a few magazine builds... And I really was thinking GM was on to something with that 5 cylinder, like a future diesel perhaps... So I let the ideas of what could be get the best of me...
By no means, will I ever get rid of it now, it is beautiful, and they really hit their mark there..! But it's going through major changes before I'll be excited to walk out with the key in my hand and be happy. As soon as the weather thaws out, I'll be spending a ton of 10 and 12 hour days out there with my H3... I truly love to buy, rebuild, and sell vehicles, it's a hobby... But I'm not going to get rid of it, it's my "Opus" so to speak... My Unicorn build...
"Hummer REBUILT like nothing else..." LOL...
monster_hummer_by_jonsibal (1).jpg

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

OKAY, I was really trying to put this together last week as a history of the Hummer kind of a thing, as I've not been actually "hands on" with the H3...
The black Lamborghini LM002.RamboLambo_Inli_1468523998.jpg
Some people believe that it was a big inspiration in the design of the actual M998 HMMWV used in military service today, based on its design and drivetrain layout. The LM002 was built from 1986 until 1993. It's powered by a 7.2 liter V12 and was actually proceeded by two other designs...
One was called "The Cheetah" (in 1977), with no doors.
cheetah1.jpg
The other, simply known as the LM001.
lm001.jpg
In all, only slightly over 300 vehicles were ever built in an effort to land a U.S. Army contract.
The military HMMWV (HUMVEE)
30bbad9b847253fe3b12dd8ba0ca8b5b3610876d.jpg
The M998 was part of a huge effort by some where near 50 manufacturers competing for the U. S. military contract.
This "Battle to replace the Jeep" was to come up with a design that was bigger, and had a larger carrying capacity than the Jeep. It led to the M151 "Quarter Ton" Jeep,
AMG_M151_A2_(1978)_GB_(owner_Gavin_Broad).JPG
and the M561 "Gama Goat".
M561-1-Goat.jpg
In 1979 the U.S.Army drafted the original requested "specifications" for a
"High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle" (HMMWV) to American General Corporation. What many people phonetically call the "Humvee".
Which was later owned, and seperated only to be broken up by Chrysler...
THAT IS SO SAD, that means that the H3, in some twisted way, could've had a HEMI..!?! Maybe they didn't want the popularity of the Jeep challenged..?
Buisness wise, IF it happened that way, it was a smart move on Chrysler's part, but unnecessary as the Jeep is far too popular to have it's sales dented by the Hummer.
Chysler/Jeep/Eagle actually contested the use of the seven slot grille on the Hummer, IN COURT against General Motors, but they lost that case.
At some point in this skewed timeline, Arnold Schwarzenegger got involved with the company American General to build the very FIRST civilian, urban use, "Hummer H1" just for him, but it became hugely popular, and quickly became an iconic vehicle.
JQkiH0i.jpg
American General continued with it, and also built the "Hummer H2", but then, sold the brand name "Hummer" to General Motors.
Hummer_H2_86_1440x1080.jpg
General Motors then tried to make the Hummer H3 a much more realistic, very urban, vehicle.
986280ee80aebdfd71a85b8d9b7bda7d--hummer-truck-hummer-h.jpg
They also designed another prototype, the Hummer HX, which was seriously cool as hell and a 2 DOOR no less.
20080122174352623.JPG
Oh, there was a single cab pickup design also, before the full 4 door version.
motor-trend-reports-h4-future.jpg
Then out of left field, General Motors decided to sell the brand name off, eventually to a Japanese company.
This move ultimately ended the brand, after the sale fell through.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

OKAY, I was really trying to put this together last week as a history of the Hummer kind of a thing, as I've not been actually "hands on" with the H3...
Interesting read. Nicely done.

I remember liking the look of the LM002. There's another SUV, an odd one that I can't remember the name. I think it began with an L, something like LADA, Lamda? Anyway, I believe it used Ford 5.0 engines (or maybe the ones converted for the US did?), was square and blocky like the LM002, and very distinct looking (though a little plain). Being a lover of odd vehicles, of course I liked it.

I remember seeing a few of them in California in the 90s, early 90s I think. Seeing the LM002 and your history reminded me of them. Wish I could remember more.

---

Edit: Found it! LaForza - It was Italian. No wonder I liked it. Haha.

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Hey gregory..! I can't remember... I wish I could though... I was out there in the late 80s and early 90s, but I don't remember that vehicle... I wish I knew... Was it more like the Defender 90..? With a full door frame and removable roof similat to the the FJ40 maybe..?

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Oh, I had to look it up, I like it..!
View attachment 48975
That's the newer one, the older ones were more blocky. Haha. You know, now that you mention the defender like truck, I think I know what you are thinking about, but I only saw it once and not close enough to see what it was. It had the doors off, looked almost European military.

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Yes, that's right, I saw a couple of those when I found that picture, they were really a solid vehicle, but I wish they would have continued bringing them over to the states..!
That defender is pretty cool..! I'll post a picture of the 90 inch wheelbase vehicle, I'm a huge fan of it..!

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

View attachment 48976 Here it is... one of my all time dream vehicles...
Yeah, these are cool, a great vehicle, I would love one myself, but I would have recognized it. The truck I saw once and didn't identify was something similar to this but it wasn't a Land Rover. Or maybe it had some body additions or mods that tricked me. I only saw it in passing.

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Was it this one..?
The previous post was a "Magnum" edition, those were a special order package that was done after they had arrived in the states by the importer, I think, but don't quote me on it...
This one is a standard import version...
1990-laforza-4x4-big-wide-rare-suv-3.jpg

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Okay..! Huge update...
First, I've been watching the Overland Bound Facebook page and following stuff there...
Now, the H3 update. After all the searching for a decent Mercedes OM606 and turning up empty, except for the over inflated prices of a good donor vehicle, I have decided to not go with the Mercedes swap.
I wouldn't be happy with an LS swap either.
At one point recently I also debated swapping in the Toyota Tacoma, 4.7, 32 valve V8 (yeah I have a man crush on Totyotas)...
But yesterday on the Facepage, I found a diesel shop in German Valley. So I loaded up the "Murder Dog" and off we went. Of course there was a stop for dog treats, and a quick "relief" stop for him...
I got to the shop and met with the owner who was, in my opinion, one of the most down to earth guys I've met in the mechanic business. I was impressed by his attitude and he was nothing like the tv personalities that I've been talking with in the past couple of years. He's not at all a "This factory is the best and all others should die" person,, quite the contrary, he just loves diesels, and trucks. So we spoke about the H3 project and he was enthusiastic about it.
So, he was able to see through everything I had explained, and dreamed up, and wished for and we came up with a plan...
The H3 is going to soon be home to a solidly built, totally capable, 4BT Cummins Engine.
He's full on with, first, make it run under it's own power, don't even worry about engine paint yet, or little things, just make it move and run under its own power...
I will spend the next few days pulling out the dash and seats up front and then it'll be off to the shop for the transplant..!

Sent from my SM-J327R4 using OB Talk mobile app

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Man that thing is going to be nose heavy those BT motors are heavy last I looked i think a fully dressed 4BT was 700lbs, which is similar to the V8 in my truck. But I'm excited to see how it turns out

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Man that thing is going to be nose heavy those BT motors are heavy last I looked i think a fully dressed 4BT was 700lbs, which is similar to the V8 in my truck. But I'm excited to see how it turns out
Darthyota..! How are you..?! You're right, maybe even a little more than 700, I may be doing a serious suspension plan immediately following the swap...
I think maybe moving it back a little bit might help, but I believe it will be a little lighter than the 454 I was going to shove in there... I really want to get it moving for now... It's killin me to see it sit...

Sent from my SM-J327R4 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: darthyota