Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

Anyone with a Gazelle tent? Wondering if it has the double zippers.

A rooftop would probably be more secure, but getting a dog up there would be a pain in ass.

Thinking a gazelle with the screened in extra room would be ideal and I could put it up quickly with my son in the truck next to me.
I would argue against a rooftop tent. Height is just another thing that could injure a child or a dog. I've been trying to train my dog to sleep in my rooftop tent but I don't know if I'll ever be comfortable enough. And their nails could go right through any fabric or canvas.

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

Anyone with a Gazelle tent? Wondering if it has the double zippers.

A rooftop would probably be more secure, but getting a dog up there would be a pain in ass.

Thinking a gazelle with the screened in extra room would be ideal and I could put it up quickly with my son in the truck next to me.
I would argue against a rooftop tent. Height is just another thing that could injure a child or a dog. I've been trying to train my dog to sleep in my rooftop tent but I don't know if I'll ever be comfortable enough. And their nails could go right through any fabric or canvas.
Originally I wanted one but the more I thought about it, the less sense it made for my particular situation.

Reactions: bryceCtravels

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

Thank you! I think this might just be the solution I need.

Now to figure out how to let him roam around camp and have some independence while keeping him from running off vs having him attached to me.
Gazelle tents have 2 entries, the main and one in the back corner. I do not think the main door has double zippers, it has zippers on the inside and out, but I think it unzips going up and zips going down. I would echo my apprehension to "lock" the exits, but I don't have a constructive alternative for you besides sleeping across the doorway yourself (already mentioned above).

You've been through a hell of a lot, it's heartwarming to hear your plans for enjoying this activity with your family.
Best regards!
Appreciate the information and kind words, my options are limited but I am trying to get it figured out.

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

I'm definitely in the camp of not liking the lock idea, the disaster potential is just not pretty. That said, the next idea would be something on the zippers to alert you to them being opened. Maybe something as simple as a bell, or a little more complex like a door sensor style thing. They even make some "travel" ones meant for hotel doors and the like, but those are screech alarms which would wake up anybody within a few hundred yards.

Reactions: 9Mike2

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

I agree that "locking" the tent from inside is not ideal but without an alternative I am kinda stuck. For example, if I get up to go to bathroom in the middle of night and we wakes up while my back is turned to him. Different situation if my daughter is with us, but if its just him and I then I have a real problem.

Setting up a temporary permitter is an option, but at what point do I say this isn't worth it and find another activity for him to do.

I did watch a YT video in which a lady used rebar stakes and then slid a 1" PVC over it with an attached plastic "Garden fence". They come in rolls of 25' if I remember. I guess that could be an option to keep him in an area safe, have his freedom, and keep animals out.

I really don't know...

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eastern Shore of Maryland
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

If you get the Gazelle (I can't recommend them enough!), you can zip tie the zippers together on one side and then sleep in front of the other side. Zip up the tent behind you when you go to the bathroom, and don't go off too far so that you can listen/watch the tent.

I think those alarms/bells on the zipper are also a good option. You can do a dry run in your backyard or wherever before you go anywhere, and see if he actually tries to wander off in the middle of the night.

As a former scout, I can definitely recommend trying to get your son involved in scouting. Some of my best friends from scouting were on the spectrum, and I genuinely think they had a great experience and learned a lot. It's skill building and a social activity. Like one of the other comments mentioned, some places have whole troops that are tailored for scouts with special needs, but any good troop should be able to get your son involved. You can contact your local council and they should be able to match you with a good troop. That might help you ease into camping with your son in a supportive environment, and not in the middle of National Forest or BLM land by yourself.

Either way, good luck!