First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Hey all,

I won't bore you with the details of my history/experience (You can read my into post for that), I'm working on making a list of camping spots around Telluride and Crested Butte for next month (roughly August 10-21). Vehicle-wise we'll be taking my 2017 GMC Canyon with an RTT. No lift but has roughly 8-10" of ground clearance and has a rear locker. I may or may not have some 32" all-terrains by then, otherwise it'll be with the OEM 31" Duelers. My wife's cousin and her husband will also be following along in their F-150 4WD but will have a ground tent. Needless to say, not looking for excessively difficult trails but are fine with more than graded dirt. I'm not having any problem finding some amazing trails, my difficulty is finding good dispersed camping spots. Specifically, I'm trying to find spots near water of some sort. Here's what I have so far for camping spots...
  • Clear Lake (Looks like only 1-2 spots to park and camp?)
  • Alta Lakes (Not so dispersed and seems to be pretty busy/crowded)
  • Paradise Divide seems to have some good spots
  • Lake Como?
  • Lake San Cristobal?
  • Last Dollar Rd among the aspen trees or thereabouts?
  • Bandora Mine looks nice
  • Locations along the Alpine Loop?
Ideally, I'd like to have 3 solid options for camping not only as alternatives in case there's a fire but also to provide different places to check out and hike around during our time there. I'd love to do a day hike to the Blue Lakes if possible. May be a long day, but it looks amazing up there.

Our "camping" has been with our hybrid travel trailer over the past 2 years (Colorado Springs, Durango, Yellowstone, Black Hills, the Adirondacks, and Maine were the main stops) so it wasn't hard finding campgrounds to stay at. Dispersed camping is a whole other challenge, especially someplace we've never been. I've been using the onX Off-Road map/app to virtually explore and try to find potential spots in govt land aside from the marked campgrounds. I've also been scanning YouTube looking for trail reviews of the area.

Anyhoo, I figured instead of making assumptions and just winging it I'd ask the collective for suggestions. Any info on the trails/areas I listed would be preferred but I'm open to other suggestions, of course. I want to make the most of this trip and one where we can't wait to get out and do it again. Unfortunately for us, we live in Illinois so escaping to the cool mountains is a ~2 day drive each way. Looking forward to trying winter/snow camping, though, but that's a discussion for another time.

Thanks!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Have you checked iOverlander.com? They also have an app. I try to post most spots on there.

I was over there a few weeks ago and stayed in a new spot off Last Dollar and a new one on Corkscrew Gulch. There are lots of places on or near Corkscrew. Look for Ironton on the map.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Have you checked iOverlander.com? They also have an app. I try to post most spots on there.

I was over there a few weeks ago and stayed in a new spot off Last Dollar and a new one on Corkscrew Gulch. There are lots of places on or near Corkscrew. Look for Ironton on the map.
Thanks, I just downloaded the app and will take a look!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

JPM78130

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Joe
Last Name
McGlothlin
Member #

This may be a little south for you, but outside of Silverton there are two good dispersed camping spots. One is to the northeast on Stony Pass. There are a few good spots along the Rio Grande there, and near Bear Town. Trails Offroad has some waypoints in their gpx files. If you're on Stony, you'll see the Bear Town / Kite Lake sign. The other place is on Lime Creek Road/Loop right outside of Silverton when you're heading towards Durango on 550. I think Lime Creek either is the same as 591 or runs into 591. There are great spots along there to camp.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
This may be a little south for you, but outside of Silverton there are two good dispersed camping spots. One is to the northeast on Stony Pass. There are a few good spots along the Rio Grande there, and near Bear Town. Trails Offroad has some waypoints in their gpx files. If you're on Stony, you'll see the Bear Town / Kite Lake sign. The other place is on Lime Creek Road/Loop right outside of Silverton when you're heading towards Durango on 550. I think Lime Creek either is the same as 591 or runs into 591. There are great spots along there to camp.

There are gobs of campsites on Stony. We spent the night there just a few weeks ago. Most folks don't venture out Stony, but it's one of my favorites.

There's also a good site up Corkscrew a bit. It would be great for a one niter, but maybe not for a base camp. Let me know if you're interested and I"ll get you the coords. I don't think I put it on iOverlander.

Reactions: JPM78130

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Go up FS 585 to South Mineral CG, then keep going..

Yup, I've got that one marked on the map (Bandora Mine) as well as Clear Lake which is up the hill from South Mineral CG. Thanks!

Also on the list are...

Last Dollar Rd
Alta Lakes
Paradise Divide (Crested Butte)
Alpine Loop

Planning this trip is a new experience for me in that I don't know exactly where I'm going and only have various waypoints and roads to explore, which is part of the overlanding experience for sure. I'm just used to planning out every major stop along the way for our road trips, making reservations, etc. Then I know where and when we'll be. So, going someplace new with no idea where, exactly, we'll end up finding our camp spots is a little outside my comfort zone. :D On the flip side, it's not like we're venturing days away from civilization.

We're all definitely excited and can't wait!

OutsideSeth

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1SLA
There is plenty of dispersed camping around just please do stick to established sites. We’re constantly fighting damage in the area from people driving off the established trails and/or creating new campsites.

Another easily accessible area not yet mentioned is Cunningham Gulch off CR-2 north of Silverton.

Also: we just drove Hurricane and California passes last week in our ‘18 Canyon with RTT. Your truck will do fine on moderate trails. The more difficult no passes would be a stretch in a stock Canyon. Full size trucks can also have trouble on some passes due to the tight narrow switchbacks.

Enjoy your trip to Silverton!

Reactions: DRAX and JPM78130

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
There is plenty of dispersed camping around just please do stick to established sites. We’re constantly fighting damage in the area from people driving off the established trails and/or creating new campsites.
Yup, absolutely. Only using established sites.

Another easily accessible area not yet mentioned is Cunningham Gulch off CR-2 north of Silverton.
I searched for Cunningham Gulch and that's near Crested Butte, off of CR 2 I see Cunningham Creek with runs parallel to the road to Stony Pass initially. Looks like a neat area to check out, thanks!

Also: we just drove Hurricane and California passes last week in our ‘18 Canyon with RTT. Your truck will do fine on moderate trails. The more difficult no passes would be a stretch in a stock Canyon. Full size trucks can also have trouble on some passes due to the tight narrow switchbacks.

Enjoy your trip to Silverton!
Yeah, my biggest issue is going to be ground clearance. I've got a rear locker and I have a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws coming that are slightly bigger than stock to help out where needed, but without a lift and with IFS there's only so much I can do right now, but it looks like there are a lot of places we'll be able to go that are rated up to about a 4/10 (subjective ratings, of course). I don't want to beat on my truck or the trail, but I don't want to just stick to roads a Prius can do, either. :)

Reactions: OutsideSeth

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Got my mini-build done, can't wait to hit the road!

We're going to spend the first day exploring the area, but more than likely the first couple of days we'll be around Bandora Mine and do the Ice Lake hike, then maybe head over the Highland Mary so my wife, her mom, and her cousin can do an easy overnight backpacking trip. After that, who knows. It all looks pretty amazing. :)

Attachments

Reactions: OutsideSeth

OutsideSeth

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1SLA
Got my mini-build done, can't wait to hit the road!

We're going to spend the first day exploring the area, but more than likely the first couple of days we'll be around Bandora Mine and do the Ice Lake hike, then maybe head over the Highland Mary so my wife, her mom, and her cousin can do an easy overnight backpacking trip. After that, who knows. It all looks pretty amazing. :)
Enjoy your trip!

Reactions: DRAX

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

trailsoffroad.com has what I consider the best information available for planning somewhere you've never been before. Video of every trail they have documented followed by photos of waypoint information (turns, avoidances, camping, scenic, etc) followed by more camping info, dispersed and paid, plus reviews from other drivers. They usually add open and closure info for roads that close each fall. Just found Stony Pass yesterday and I think its one of a few we will do when there at the end of Sept/Oct. Altitude, quiet, dispersed camping and water meets our criteria. Will prob stay in Silverton or Ouray after Ouray for a few days and then do Rim Rocker to camp and head to Moab.

Last edited:

OutsideSeth

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1SLA
trailsoffroad.com has what I consider the best information available for planning somewhere you've never been before. Video of every trail they have documented followed by photos of waypoint information (turns, avoidances, camping, scenic, etc) followed by more camping info, dispersed and paid, plus reviews from other drivers. They usually add open and closure info for roads that close each fall. Just found Stony Pass yesterday and I think its one of a few we will do when there at the end of Sept/Oct. Altitude, quiet, dispersed camping and water meets our criteria. Will prob stay in Silverton or Ouray after Ouray for a few days and then do Rim Rocker to camp and head to Moab.
That should be a quiet time of year. October is generally one of our slowest months at the hotel. Enjoy the solitude!

Reactions: USStrongman

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Dang it, just made me spend more money. :D Looks like they've got some really good content, though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Reactions: USStrongman

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
This time next week we'll be on our way! Did a test load of the gear in the bed of the truck yesterday, it'll be tight but not too bad. Efficient use of space is what I'd call it since with the exception of the table, chairs, screen room, and pop-up shower room everything is in a storage container. I can have everything in or out of the bed in a couple of minutes with no weird stuffing or positioning and nothing is blocking my view in the rear-view mirror, so I'd say that's pretty good and it'll always be ready to load up whenever we want to head out. Oh, and that includes a giant 100qt marine cooler we've had for ages. Can't wait to get a 12v fridge.

Been playing with the various apps and I see why Gaia is so popular, route planning is easy and working with Apple Car Play is great! I've got a number of trails and locations to scout out once we're there. We can't wait!

JPM78130

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Joe
Last Name
McGlothlin
Member #

When are you thinking you'll be there? I'm planning on heading that way the first weekend of October. If I read everything right, that should be a non-hunting week up there.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Looks like Sept 27/28 through Oct 6 or so. I have a flexible schedule and I have friends meeting me in Alamosa on the 27/28th who's schedules are not as flexible. Stay the night in Alamosa, head to camp for a night on Stony Pass and then to Lake City. Next day some of the Alpine loop, a night in Silverton/Ouray and then to Montrose for 2 days of camping along the Rim Rocker and a night in Moab. I may stay another day or two there or head back to Ouray for a day or two.