Taking our 2016 F150 to the next level.

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Well, we have decided instead of trying to get another Jeep, we are going to build our 2016 F150 Screw 5.0 to our next rig. We will be starting to gather the stuff to build it next spring. The plan is to lift it with Rancho's 3 inch lift kit with adjustable 9000s front and rear. For a little over a grand, it should fill the bill for our suspension. We are going to get Fuel rebel 6 bronze wheels with 315 falken AT3Ws.

A hidden winch mount, an N-fab 4 light mount for the bumper with 4 Hella 4000 with 2 euro beam and two pencil beams all equipped with 55w 4300K HID installed. I have run 500s with the same HID with phenomenal results. In the headlights we will swap out the sealight LED (pretty good for the price) to GTR led bulbs (amazing regardless of price). Add in some yellow fog lights for crappy weather.

We will add a decked drawer system with slide out deck above it for our gear. We also have to find out about if we can install a roof rack on the Action Truck Caps....Truck cap.

For the interior we are going to go with autoTec 14.4 inch display android unit. This will provide all connectivity for our rig. Gaia, Sirius, etc will all be available using this system. (we have a similar one in the patriot). It works good, but I wish I could get a more powerful unit for the pat. It's a tad slow. We are going to add some type of seat coverings and also some switch gear. Lastly will be a in vehicle cellular booster for our devices, and a new CB radio.

This should be a fun and comfortable build.

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
Awesome! I’ve got a ‘16 Screw, 3.5, and it’s been great on the trails. Check out KustomFX on f150forum.com. He makes super clean switches that go in your overhead console area that look great IMO. I have Rocky Road Outfitters sliders and recommend them as well if going that route. I got some seat covers from Rough Country for a good price, all black neoprene. Enjoy!

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Awesome! I’ve got a ‘16 Screw, 3.5, and it’s been great on the trails. Check out KustomFX on f150forum.com. He makes super clean switches that go in your overhead console area that look great IMO. I have Rocky Road Outfitters sliders and recommend them as well if going that route. I got some seat covers from Rough Country for a good price, all black neoprene. Enjoy!
Awesome, thanks for the tips! I will totally check out the KustomFX switches. I need to keep the steps as the folks will be using the truck once every 6 - 7 weeks to goto my dads dr. appointments. I like them being in a bigger vehicle on the highways here.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
So finally, I have full possession of the truck. We will be starting our build this spring. I have found a company in Texas who does raptor builds on regular 150s. I am going to contact them to see how much a conversion would be for just parts shipped up here. I found their overland build on youtube the other day using a 2023 King Ranch as a starting point. All I can say is hot damn. If it's not stupid expensive for the parts, My father in law, my friend, and I can do the conversion. The FIL is a body man who painted cars for 30 years. The rest is bolt on under the rig.

The only issue is does the company make the wide rear bed fenders for the 6.5 foot pan. We shaw see soon. If not, I think I will be upping the suspension game to Icon 3 inch.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I have been doing some more research and the widebody deal won't work. I cannot source a raptor rear end locally and having one shipped would be bonkers expensive. I also noticed that For the sake of .25 to .50 inch of lift, I can get the rancho quiklift and 9000s for the rear from Canadian tire at a bogo deal. Not sure if it's buy one get one free, or 50 percent off. Either way. Just add on the control arms and raptor block in the rear and I will have the full lift setup from the kit. Saving about 500 dollars in the process.

As for the rack, Frontrunner makes the rack for both my truck cap and the roof of my truck. so we are going that route.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Widebody back on, just not AS wide. Fiberwerx makes a raptor style conversion which is only 2.5 inches wider than stock per side instead of the 4.5 of a real raptor. It comes with everything to do the body from the hood, to the bumper end caps. So, while it's going to have some meaty looks to it, it won't be needing the raptor suspension or axle. It's going to be a great looking truck for sure. I have also found a bed rack to go over my truck cap on the back as well. It's only a basic unit but my friend and I can modify it using some Molle panels for the side and a rack platform for the top. That way if we want to take our kayaks just pop off the platform and install the yak racks.

This truck is going to be our new travel rig so we are building it right. Suspension parts are going to be next to figure out. We want something that takes rough roads with some speed. Not sure what to use yet. Budget is around 2500 bucks for that.

This is the inspiration for our build. I love this rig. This is the truck built by PaxPower out of Texas. They did an awesome job on this King Ranch conversion.

Ruby build inspiration.jpg

Last edited:

SeanK

Rank I

Contributor III

Mead, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Kulstad
Service Branch
Army
Check out Rough Country’s 3” lift with the upgraded M1 struts. Kit comes with struts, upper control arms, shocks and rear lift blocks. Front struts are full length, no spacers. It’s the closest I could find to try and match a Fox 2.0 build my buddy has.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Check out Rough Country’s 3” lift with the upgraded M1 struts. Kit comes with struts, upper control arms, shocks and rear lift blocks. Front struts are full length, no spacers. It’s the closest I could find to try and match a Fox 2.0 build my buddy has.
If I go with a rough country kit, it will be the vertex equipped version. I had their other struts and they are not great. We may not take over the F150 afterall. I am so smitten with the Maverick. I like small vehicles. But if we do keep the F150, it will be built quickly.