MKG77

Rank I

Contributor III

Medford, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Giancola
I am curious to see what vehicle is better for overlanding/camping. Toyota Tacoma or Toyota 4Runner? I am currently looking for a 2012-2016 Toyota Tacoma for an Overland build but I am wondering what are the Pros and Cons of either vehicle. I have done some research but I would like to hear it from people who have experience.

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

I think it depends on exactly what you’re wanting out of the vehicle. I have a 2015 Tacoma and my parents have a 2016 4Runner. Both have their benefits. As far as offroading goes, I believe the 4Runner is better off the factory floor. But, a Tacoma has more storage from the bed. Like I said I think you gotta figure out exactly what you’re wanting out of the new ride

Reactions: MKG77 and gragg2001

FUNHOGN (aka Maurice)

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Prescott Valley, Arizona
First Name
Maurice
Last Name
Guinouard
Member #

I think it depends on exactly what you’re wanting out of the vehicle. I have a 2015 Tacoma and my parents have a 2016 4Runner. Both have their benefits. As far as offroading goes, I believe the 4Runner is better off the factory floor. But, a Tacoma has more storage from the bed. Like I said I think you gotta figure out exactly what you’re wanting out of the new ride
Agreed. Additionally, Tacoma's have a higher load rating by several hundred pounds. One of my primary reasons for choosing the Tacoma over a 4Runner. It won't take much to overload a 4Runner (without a lot of expensive suspension upgrades) if you're building an overlanding rig for a family of four and all their gear.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I’ve had more than a couple of pick ups over the decades and two ragtop jeeps. Now we have a wagon. I’ll never go back to pick ups or ragtops. I can, if you’d like, write a small book on the pros & cons of each. For us, it’s about keeping our stuff clean and staying comfortable.

MKG77

Rank I

Contributor III

Medford, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Giancola
I’ve had more than a couple of pick ups over the decades and two ragtop jeeps. Now we have a wagon. I’ll never go back to pick ups or ragtops. I can, if you’d like, write a small book on the pros & cons of each. For us, it’s about keeping our stuff clean and staying comfortable.
For overland builds I feel like the Tacoma is better just because you have the bed. I have been looking at 4Runner builds and I don't like the bed in the back of the 4Runner (I know you can put a tent on top) but even with the tent on top I feel like there is not as much you can do with the 4Runner. I don't know it might be my lack of experience. I do like the look of the 4Runners though. What have you experienced?

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
I have a 4runner as well as a tahoe. I like both due to the enclosed bed to keep out dust and moisture however the 4runner is much smaller but as far as this conversation is going I would take the 4runner over the taco for the reason of cleanliness.

Reactions: MOAK and Wallygator

MKG77

Rank I

Contributor III

Medford, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Giancola
I have a 4runner as well as a tahoe. I like both due to the enclosed bed to keep out dust and moisture however the 4runner is much smaller but as far as this conversation is going I would take the 4runner over the taco for the reason of cleanliness.
I have been on the fence about both. I have been thinking about it and I think I am going to get a 2007-2012 4Runner. I plan to put a RTT on top and use the inside to pack what I need.

FUNHOGN (aka Maurice)

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Prescott Valley, Arizona
First Name
Maurice
Last Name
Guinouard
Member #

For me, a good tight fitting bed cap solved the issue of cleanliness (plus, stinky things in the bed of the truck don't affect me in the cab). That said, side opening windows or a slide out tray or both make things a lot easier to load and unload the bed. But it was worth the investment for me to have the convenience of a closed back like a 4Runner and the payload of the Tacoma. I have a build thread here of my Tacoma, if anyone is interested.

Reactions: gragg2001

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I have been on the fence about both. I have been thinking about it and I think I am going to get a 2007-2012 4Runner. I plan to put a RTT on top and use the inside to pack what I need.
Although there is no perfect vehicle my 4Runner checks a lot of the boxes. I do miss the bed sometimes after owning 4 Tacomas but I bought a utility trailer for homestead duties and am building an off road trailer for all other duties. I have a RTT on the 4 now. If you stick with the years of the Tacoma you mentioned, you will have a good vehicle to build on. I personally would never own one with the 3.5 but YMMV. Good luck with your build.

MKG77

Rank I

Contributor III

Medford, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Giancola
Although there is no perfect vehicle my 4Runner checks a lot of the boxes. I do miss the bed sometimes after owning 4 Tacoma's but I bought a utility trailer for homestead duties and am building an off road trailer for all other duties. I have a RTT on the 4 now. If you stick with the years of the Tacoma you mentioned, you will have a good vehicle to build on. I personally would never own one with the 3.5 but YMMV. Good luck with your build.
Thank you! I am curious though as to how much you stowed in the back of the 4Runner since you have a RTT. Was the space good enough for everything or did you have to pick and choose due to lack of space? I have been wondering exactly how much I could get away with packing. And out of the 2007-2012 year 4Runners, which do you prefer for overland building? Also is the Toyota Sequoia any better for overlanding then the 4Runner?

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
Thank you! I am curious though as to how much you stowed in the back of the 4Runner since you have a RTT. Was the space good enough for everything or did you have to pick and choose due to lack of space? I have been wondering exactly how much I could get away with packing. And out of the 2007-2012 year 4Runners, which do you prefer for overland building? Also is the Toyota Sequoia any better for overlanding then the 4Runner?
Well I am mostly by myself so I have plenty of room. I also usually carry a dirt bike with me on a hitch rack and have all the riding gear, etc., for that and still have room. I guess it also depends on how much stuff you need to bring and whether or not you have back seat passengers or not. Passengers will of course take up some of your room back there in a 4Runner.

It also depends on which RTT you have. With mine it takes up the whole roof so I cannot store anything on the roof like you could with folding RTT. Some times if I don't take the dirt bike I will bring a hitch rack and carry propane and wood and maybe some other things on it. It's a pretty versatile vehicle but I am sure you can still carry more with a truck than you can a 4Runner. I do feel the 4 is more comfortable than the Tacomas. I don't have experience with a Sequoia but as far as I have read it seems like a good platform with lots of power and room and would probably be a great road trip vehicle.

As far as what year 4Runners is the best that is a toss up really. The 5th gen started in 2010 and that is what I have. Mine is a 2016. The 4th gens before that are very reliable and really the only thing to watch for is frame rust as far as I know. Also the 4th gen had the V8 which is highly sought after if you can find one without 250,000 plus miles on it. I wonder if you could get a dealer to allow you to take one home (or rent one) and then pack it full of your stuff to see what it will hold. :grinning:

Reactions: M Rose and MKG77

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

For me, a good tight fitting bed cap solved the issue of cleanliness (plus, stinky things in the bed of the truck don't affect me in the cab). That said, side opening windows or a slide out tray or both make things a lot easier to load and unload the bed. But it was worth the investment for me to have the convenience of a closed back like a 4Runner and the payload of the Tacoma. I have a build thread here of my Tacoma, if anyone is interested.
I have a Leer 100XQ on my Tacoma and still have dust and some water get in around the tailgate and where the back hatch shuts above the tailgate. The water isn’t too big of an issue unless I park with the rear of the truck uphill or it absolutely pours the rain heavy. I don’t anticipate ever owning a truck again without a camper shell

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
If Toyota, have you considered a LandCruiser?

It may have some of the benefits of both. For the same price, you will have to go back in time on the model. They will last forever.

Reactions: MOAK

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Since I am the original owner of an 88, 62 Series LandCruiser and a 2018 Tacoma DoubleCab, Short bed, TRD Off-road... I am biased! I agree with MOAK, the LC keeps stuff cleaner than the Tacoma. However - the Tacoma get's much better MPG, and has Crawl Control. The Tacoma goes fast, is stable on off-road trails. I take the LandCruiser when I'm headed to my Flyfishing spots. The Tacoma is locked in the Rear, and with Crawl-control is a blast to drive is rough terrain. The LC has aftermarket ARB Air-lockers front and rear, and un-stoppable climbing out of River valleys. SO it really depends on your needs. If I could have found a clean LC 200 Series, for roughly the same price as the Tacoma, I most likely would have bought that instead - because I heard Clay Croft state several times that the 200 Series is the Best LandCruiser, period.
David

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Since I am the original owner of an 88, 62 Series LandCruiser and a 2018 Tacoma DoubleCab, Short bed, TRD Off-road... I am biased! I agree with MOAK, the LC keeps stuff cleaner than the Tacoma. However - the Tacoma get's much better MPG, and has Crawl Control. The Tacoma goes fast, is stable on off-road trails. I take the LandCruiser when I'm headed to my Flyfishing spots. The Tacoma is locked in the Rear, and with Crawl-control is a blast to drive is rough terrain. The LC has aftermarket ARB Air-lockers front and rear, and un-stoppable climbing out of River valleys. SO it really depends on your needs. If I could have found a clean LC 200 Series, for roughly the same price as the Tacoma, I most likely would have bought that instead - because I heard Clay Croft state several times that the 200 Series is the Best LandCruiser, period.
David
We have an 93 80 series LC that was converted to diesel. It’s the last model done with solid front axle (except the 70 series and 105) 6 cyl 4.2L 24 valve that was installed on the 97 80 series in AUZ and Europe. It get between 20-26 mpg. The interior is designed for two people and we just spent a month traveling to Alaska. I wrote a blog about the conversion on this forum. We love it.

MKG77

Rank I

Contributor III

Medford, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Giancola
If Toyota, have you considered a LandCruiser?

It may have some of the benefits of both. For the same price, you will have to go back in time on the model. They will last forever.
I have cause I heard they really last long. I am pretty much sitting on either a 2010 or newer 4Runner or a Sequoia. Or a LandCruiser if I find the right one! :smile:

Reactions: Ob1

FUNHOGN (aka Maurice)

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Prescott Valley, Arizona
First Name
Maurice
Last Name
Guinouard
Member #

I have a Leer 100XQ on my Tacoma and still have dust and some water get in around the tailgate and where the back hatch shuts above the tailgate. The water isn’t too big of an issue unless I park with the rear of the truck uphill or it absolutely pours the rain heavy. I don’t anticipate ever owning a truck again without a camper shell
I spent about twenty dollars and a couple of hours installing thin(ish) and thick weather stripping on the tailgate and the door to the shell. The stuff between the tailgate and the bed is called ESI ROK BLOCK Tailgate Gap Cover I got it from Amazon. Unfortunately it's unavailable at the moment from Amazon but I included the link for its description. there are competing products on the site or, put it on a wish list and it'll notify you once it's in stock or do a web search for other retailers. It's been on the truck four years without issue. Also applied weather stripping on the vertical wall where the tailgate latches. After that I have very little dust issues. If you zoom in on the picture below, I circled what I did. Screenshot_20191201-183512_Gallery.jpg

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

I spent about twenty dollars and a couple of hours installing thin(ish) and thick weather stripping on the tailgate and the door to the shell. The stuff between the tailgate and the bed is called ESI ROK BLOCK Tailgate Gap Cover I got it from Amazon. Unfortunately it's unavailable at the moment from Amazon but I included the link for its description. there are competing products on the site or, put it on a wish list and it'll notify you once it's in stock or do a web search for other retailers. It's been on the truck four years without issue. Also applied weather stripping on the vertical wall where the tailgate latches. After that I have very little dust issues. If you zoom in on the picture below, I circled what I did. View attachment 129375
I like the bed setup. Kicked around putting a bed slide or decked/drawer setup in my truck. At one point had a sleeping platform in the bed but now I store so much stuff back there. Plus I use my bed a lot during hunting season. And when I camp the dogs crate goes in the bed and she sleeps there while I sleep in my RTT on top of the shell

gragg2001

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Visalia, California, United States
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Gragg
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6KLR WRKZ798
Both are great vehicles I’ve had three tacoma‘s, a 4Runner and 2 landcruisers they all have their pros and cons but for me my 2019 Toyota Tacoma with a lear shell on the back is probably the best rig so far because of the versatility and keep the stinky things in the back and not in with me.C279C951-F9E0-4EFB-A398-A0733A031B07.jpeg3885735F-8EAB-4F3D-A95C-76DD548836A1.jpeg4194F4D4-2109-44EA-88D9-BFFD300C20E6.jpeg