Rank IV

Advocate I

Heltonville, IN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

I'm wanting to upgrade to a AGM battery. I've decided on a Group 27F. Now my problem. I know Northstar and Odyssey whoop Optima in every way. However no one in my area carries Northstar (Batteries plus is over a hour away) and Odyssey seem to be out of stock everywhere. I got 3 auto parts stores that can get the Optimas next day. The most we do at this point is some weekend camping. Nothing crazy. So am I handicapping myself going with the Optima yellow top D27F.

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
Your best source to answer this is call your battery sales person or rep. regarding will your stock alternator work with the Group27F.

There is a lot of discussion on the Tacoma World site about battery upgrade. Here is a start:

JediScout31

Rank I

Contributor III

Georgia
First Name
David
Last Name
Franqui
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4QKL
Service Branch
Army
Full River battery (Full Throttle) would be a good choice to consider as well. I've run that same Northstar group 27 you're wanting in my taco. Solid performance. Might be worth a drive.

Caffienated

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southwest Portland, Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Caputi
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CID
Service Branch
Marines
Last edited:

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I would just make the trip to batteries plus. Mine isn't as far but after searching high and low for a good 27F they seemed to be the final option. I don't know if Odyssey even makes them. Everywhere I went didn't list one. I'm an interstate dealer at work and they don't carry an AGM either.