PegLegVet

Rank II

Advocate I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Kohlwes
I've been researching GPS devices to use and was surprised to see how much is available for overlanding. However, I don't think I want to use a dedicated device like a Garmin. While good, they are also pricey and add just one more device I would have to deal with and keep charged. I used a Samsung tablet before when I was taking flight lessons as my map. Just downloaded the flight maps I would need ahead of time. It worked quite well with just the internal GPS antenna, no cellular/wi-fi/bluetooth on. I've read through other posts and it looks like using a table is pretty common. And since there are other devices I am looking at that also have apps that would need a tablet or phone, I figure it's best to go that route.

What I am wondering is if there are any accessories people using a tablet for GPS get. Does anyone use external GPS antennas for better accuracy or is the tablet enough? Or an ODBII scanner with tablet app? Any recommended apps besides OB? I would like some that cover all of North America, or more. Thanks all.

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

The OB1 app works very well…while in its early stages it still is a good option especially if you are already a member of OB…I use Gaia GPS on a Apple tablet mostly simply because it’s what I’ve grown accustom to and have so many gpx file already downloaded and routes saved…when I first got started I used HEMA and it worked well…I will sometime go back to it just to see what’s new…

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I posted this on the other thread about this. I use a "dual' GPS unit with my ipad and works awesome, even in the mountains. Was about $150 when I got mine. I had the ipad for my photography portfolio and for Procreate. I built a dash unit from some scrap steel and bought some RAM products to mount it all.
I'm happy.
Zim
IMG-0481.jpg

65470455334--13D18A15-9451-405F-AFD8-BF7BC9A6326E.JPG

pluton

Rank IV

Member I

Santa Monica, CA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
BBB
Member #

If you don't need an external antenna for GPS on your phone, you probably don't need one for a GPS-enabled tablet. You need a way to power it (w/ backup?) , and a way to hold it where you want it(mount or bracket). On my tablet I have Gaia GPS for the old USGS topo maps, plus Gaia's version of the OSM topo map, plus a few alternative maps. I also have a modern Garmin unit (Montana 700i) for redundancy. The 700i has Garmin's version of the OSM topo map plus the GPSFileDepot.com downloadable topo maps.

Ursa Major

Rank VI

Influencer I

Woodstock, Vermont, United States
First Name
Gunnar
Last Name
Nourse
Member #

Forgot we talked about "Paper Maps" in another thread. The best idea yet and don't forget the compass.
Zim
You can never go wrong with having paper maps as your redundancy! I've got the traditional road atlas map and a Samsung tablet that I use Gaia and OB1 for. Download the maps ahead of time and your ready to head out from there. I like to keep my phone for taking pictures and flying the drone around. I noticed quickly that when you have ONE DEVICE TO RULE THEM ALL, it becomes way more cumbersome to do anything, as you're constantly taking apart, readjusting, or switching between several apps.

Reactions: Tundracamper

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
For the last decade I have used an Android phone as my GPS device. I've never, ever, had GPS signal loss, even with the phone sitting in the cupholder at the console. I bought (and still have) a Garmin Glo, which is an external GPS antenna. I used it for several months but quickly realized it only provided a minuscule improvement in accuracy. That precision might be useful for aviation, but it is not needed for vehicle based navigation.

I also have a Samsung A7 Lite tablet mounted down low, and on a recent trip through the plains, mountains, desert and canyons, the only time I lost GPS signal was when I went under ground (think tunnel).
1669841337916.png

GPS accuracy is pretty darn good; better than my ancient Garmin 60C handheld when in an empty field.
1669841396770.png

I tried the OB1 app, but it used up too much of my limited storage space so it had to go. I am a fan of Back Country Navigator (Pro and XE) as well as Avenza and Drive Mode Dashboard (pictured) for navigation apps.

Reactions: SkunkedGorilla

robkroupa

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Oklahoma City, OK, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Kroupa
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5JPP
Service Branch
USAF
Like some of the others have said, I've never had a need for an external gps antenna for any of my devices. The only accuracy issues I have noticed are if I am running navigation on my phone throu Google Carplay and the phone is in my pocket facing a direction different than my direction of travel. Sometimes that throws the navigation off and it's not sure which was I am really facing.